Baseball Time

hawk

The CMD will be very competitive this year, mostly between Battle, Virginia High, and Gate City. I don't really know what Lebanon and Lee have coming up, but I know Lebanon always plays tough (Battle won twice against them last year with a score of only 2-1 while Battle beat other teams like GC and VHS by 10 runs at least once). Any of the first 3 teams I mentioned could make a run for the CMD title and district tourny title (with Lebanon being a dark horse if they haven't lost everyone) and any of those teams could make a deep run this year.

Battle is loaded with juniors with only a couple of seniors, so they're experienced (had a good season last year) while not gradutating everyone after this year.

Edited by ThomasDenton

Galax has a new head coach and lost a lot of quality seniors from a state championship team, albeit in a weak Division 1. They will be very young but extremely talented. Freshman Stew Merdian will be a state player of the year contender for the next 4 years in that division.

Clintwood has a chance to be the final LPD Baseball Champion. If everyone that played last year returns they will have 7 pitchers. They lost just one player to graduation, and last year they were just one win from playing in the State Final. Coach Stanley is back and really got to know his players and that should help him with player positiong. Looking forward to a Good Spring!!

Thanks for starting some Baseball chat guys, looking forward to more discusions.

Edited by hawk

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Clintwood 10 Grundy 6. Playing Grundy is always fun, they have good kid's and are always good sportman, good Coaching and leadership on that Team. Look foward to going over there and playing them again next Thursday. Clintwood looked good, had some defensive errors but stayed focused and played the game. So Happy it is Baseball Season, now we just need some Baseball weather!!!!!!!!!

Grayson Co drilled Chilhowie 10-6 Friday. Region C is going to be very Strong

again this year. The Fort also smacked down Floyd Co by about 10 runs!

Drilled??? Really??? Chilhowie's ace walked eight and hit three batters, made three errors. Grayson played pretty flawless (as usual). Grayson is not back in dynasty mode and Chilhowie is definately not as "bad" as you think. Two of Chilhowie's starters were also not playing.

Drilled??? Really??? Chilhowie's ace walked eight and hit three batters, made three errors. Grayson played pretty flawless (as usual). Grayson is not back in dynasty mode and Chilhowie is definately not as "bad" as you think. Two of Chilhowie's starters were also not playing.

If their "ace" walked eight and hit three and they made three errors...they are screwed...

Grayson is very good....but dynasty.... 1 state championship in school history for a school that absolutley puts a huge emphasis on baseball and not much on anything else

Grayson is very good....but dynasty.... 1 state championship in school history for a school that absolutley puts a huge emphasis on baseball and not much on anything else

Grayson seems to be "floating" the past few years and not putting the same emphasis on baseball that it did in years past. The recreation department had a press release in the local newspaper a few days ago that it will no longer be participating in post season tournaments. It will play a "county" season and be finished. Not a lot of happy people in Grayson County right now.

• 3 weeks later...

Chilhowie appears to back on track, defeating Grayson 12-8 the other day. I haven't seen any standings or records for SW teams, but Lebanon, Chilhowie, Va High, & Central may be the strong teams in Div 2. Clintwood and Holston may be the strong ones in Div 1

In the CMD, Battle and GC are struggling a bit right now and I haven't heard anything on Lee. Most seem to think that it's VHS's to lose (and that's probably true), but Lebanon is playing really well right now and may take it from VHS. I just hope that Battle and GC can figure something out. GC I think is still shaking off basketball and one of their main guys might still be out. Battle is kind of young this year.