USPS to release fashion line

http://news.msn.com/pop-culture/post-office-to-release-fashion-line?ocid=ansnews11

Will this move actually help the post office....and if it does (or would), is it too late by now to try this idea? IMO, they'll rake in SOME money, but not nearly enough to save the post office. I mean, they'll have to compete with the likes of Carhartt and such and I don't see the USPS's items being cheap to buy. Unless they do something really amazing with it that I can't imagine at the moment, it'll just be more of a novelty thing for a while and ultimately fail.

the reason they are losing money is the retirement system they have and the gov making them pre-fund it...until the gov changes that and they change the retirement benefits to a reasonable amount for future employees then its always going to be running in the red.

http://news.msn.com/pop-culture/post-office-to-release-fashion-line?ocid=ansnews11

Will this move actually help the post office....and if it does (or would), is it too late by now to try this idea? IMO, they'll rake in SOME money, but not nearly enough to save the post office. I mean, they'll have to compete with the likes of Carhartt and such and I don't see the USPS's items being cheap to buy. Unless they do something really amazing with it that I can't imagine at the moment, it'll just be more of a novelty thing for a while and ultimately fail.

They'll spend more money in production than they'll make. It is the U.S. federal government, after all.

In 2006 congress passed a bill that requires the USPS to prefund health benefits for retirees for

75 years in advance. This bill requires a payment of 5.5 billion per year for 10 years.

Without these payments they would be about a billion to the good right now.

Think about this, 75 years, the people this will cover have not been born yet and the money they have collected will not be used for it's cause because at this rate it will force changes that will eventually be the end of health benefits for employees or the USPS.

In 2006 congress passed a bill that requires the USPS to prefund health benefits for retirees for

75 years in advance. This bill requires a payment of 5.5 billion per year for 10 years.

Without these payments they would be about a billion to the good right now.

Think about this, 75 years, the people this will cover have not been born yet and the money they have collected will not be used for it's cause because at this rate it will force changes that will eventually be the end of health benefits for employees or the USPS.

This post nails it. The USPS has historically been one of the best government moneymakers. Not even it can make money now.

Agreed. It is one of the dumbest bills passed which completely worked against a well managed government program.

Oddly enough, it is one of the few pensions, public or private that is fully funded. I wish mine was.