VA Senate passes hwy reform bill

ThomasDenton

http://www.tricities.com/news/local/article_d223c5a0-7df6-11e2-835e-0019bb30f31a.html

Looks like gas tax will change from 17.5 cents per gallon to 3.5% wholesale tax and sales tax will increase from 5% to 5.3% among other things. The Senate Dems wanted to kill this bill, but it passed anyway, 25-15.

I guess anything above 5.3 would seem like too much to people and everyone would start complaining and anything less just wouldn't get the job done. From all the articles I read, the Democrats were willing to fight tooth and nail to stop this and I'm sure having something closer to 6% would give them some ammo to use.

Why 5.3%???? I could understand 5.25%, 5.5%, 5.75%, or even 6%...but 5.3%??? Kinda random, don't ya think???

Should have just gone with 3.1415^2/1.862052...

PI/the Golden Mean?

It will be interesting how long it takes folks to realize that VA is going down the slippery slope towards funding road construction and maintenance from the general fund rather than a use tax on motorists. We may look back on this and wonder why traditional functions like law enforcement and education have lost funding to the the beast that is transportation funding.

That being said, more $$$ was absolutely needed. VA roads have gotten progressively worse over the last decade while politicians dithered.

Now we can sit back and watch to see if the Republicans will "eat their own" in the nominating process for the House of Delegates.

"It increases the titling tax on car sales and adds a $100 registration fee for fuel-sipping hybrid vehicles. It also rules out proposed tolls on Interstate 95 south of Petersburg."

Those bastards.

Why 5.3%???? I could understand 5.25%, 5.5%, 5.75%, or even 6%...but 5.3%??? Kinda random, don't ya think???

Should have just gone with 3.1415^2/1.862052...

Reasons:

(1) The consensus was that something would have to be done.

(2) The group that wanted the gas tax lowered was strongest.

(3) There was a majority that would've killed the bill if the gas tax were completely eliminated.

(4) There was a majority that would've killed the bill if the sales tax went to 6% as proposed.

So, people with more math skills than I sat down and conjured up what would be the best proportion to generate revenue while having a little bit of both. And this is the result that made just enough people happy to pass.