Mid-week winter storm?

What does everyone think? Will we get a big one or will it fizzle out? There seems to be some signs that we will get at least a few inches, but a little to far out and too many wobbles in the models to narrow something down yet. But what do you think, yea or nay?

Your probably right on that, but I've got hopes, maybe 4-6. Just way too much inconsistancies in the models right now. But we'll see in the next few days........Think i might go get some milk and bread soon before all the crazies start panicking

Might as well just flip a coin and guess. This is one of the hardest areas in the country (maybe the world) to accurately predict the weather, much of it having to do with the terrain.

i can already tell you guys with almost 100% accuracy that we will get pounded.

I have to travel on Thursday to KY so you can all but bank on a blizzard....fml.

You may be right but I hope you're wrong.

Well...all the national sights have us getting the bulk of the snow.... Fox 59 out of Beckley....says that Bluefield will get about a 1/2 inch....with the most in our area being around Richlands...getting about 2 inches.....

We're going to get hammered!!

Models indicating a higher elevation event still as of now. Could be up to a foot or more around 3-4000 ft or so level, at least over here on this side anyway. NWS in Morristown has this part of SWVA under winter storm watches for elevations above 2500 ft with totals of 4-9. Might servant band of accumulating snow probably falls with a band of snow coming through early Wednesday and then the rest will be wraparound snow showers, which usually give the higher elevations a good chance.

For the best shot of heavy snows for most everyone, we would need the upper level low swinging into the Ohio Valley behind the lead low to transfer its energy over to a developing secondary low to the east quicker and for the system to slow down, that way its deeper moisture feed sticks around longer as the colder air draws in. I have to say a couple of the latest runs by the GFS do try to hint at a quicker and more westward developing secondary low..but not really showing much of a change yet. We've seen temps run colder than model projections also several times this year with these, and that can change things, but we'll see though. Sure is a close call either way.

Not surprising to see this storm either, as I'm sure GMan and others can tell you, often when you see a long stretch of colder/active weather like this, you'll end up with a big storm developing on the back end of it and then the nicer pattern sets it in for a bit. Myself, I'm just looking forward to getting past this one and enjoying what's coming this weekend. Unfortunately, this warm weather won't last obviously, but it will be a nice break from the recent cold.

Edited by Beamerball