Is Virginia High Going to the Former SWD?

V-Cats

For the regular season...

New District 1 - Tazewell, Richlands, Lebanon, Abingdon, Virginia

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/rr-2013-14%20and%202014-15-final-alignment%20Plan.pdf

For post-season play...

Conference 40 - John Battle, Gate City, Lebanon, Lee, Virginia, Central-Wise, Union

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/Item%2033-final-adopted-conference-alignment-plan-for-2013-14-and-2014-15.pdf

For information purposes...ADMs...

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/rr-adm-march-2012-six-classes.pdf

At the rate Wise County is dropping in enrollment you will have more kids than Union and Central- maybe by the next cycle. The decline in coal employment will cause a sharp enrollment drop in all the coal counties. Wise had already dropped due to consolidation. Will be interesting to see how it plays out elsewhere. A tough time for rural schools in this area.

this still pisses me off to no end.

New Dist. 1 should be the SWD and Grundy, Marion, and Graham should be in it...they are all 2A schools playing in 1A districts...and they are all SWD schools.

Why go through all this to leave things in worse shape than you found them in the first place.

VHSL screwed this up big time.

New Dist. 1 should be the SWD and Grundy, Marion, and Graham should be in it...they are all 2A schools playing in 1A districts...and they are all SWD schools.

Why go through all this to leave things in worse shape than you found them in the first place.

It's the VHSL, did you expect any different?

So how do the playoffs work this year...is it gonna be 2A east vs. 2A west for the state title or will u have a 2A east state champ and a 2A west state champ? Will we have a region champ?

Playoffs will be East vs East and West vs West up until the semi-finals when they crossover (East #1 vs West #2, West #1 vs East #2) then the two winners will meet for the state championship. That way the possibility exists for East vs East or West vs West at the end.

Completely agreed. I've stated it before, but I have two gigantic beefs with this system. One, you hit here: if you're going to have "districts", make sure all the teams in said "district" are in the same classification as to avoid the problem that will arise for teams like Graham. Two, the whole "conference" concept is wholly unnecessary: just implement them in place of districts and be set on your merry way.

Travel wise you really can't beat the new SWD (and it will be called the SWD). The trip from Tazewell to Bristol is no more than 90 minutes and the other three schools are all on the same route. And travel/scheduling is all the districts are for now. They have no bearing on anything else.

Completely agreed. I've stated it before, but I have two gigantic beefs with this system. One, you hit here: if you're going to have "districts", make sure all the teams in said "district" are in the same classification as to avoid the problem that will arise for teams like Graham. Two, the whole "conference" concept is wholly unnecessary: just implement them in place of districts and be set on your merry way.

You're missing the point... the classification tag is no longer applied to districts. They exist solely for scheduling and travel purposes. Districts as we knew them no longer exist. Conferences (which do not apply to football) consist of like size schools and will determine who goes on to the next round of playoffs.

You're missing the point... the classification tag is no longer applied to districts. They exist solely for scheduling and travel purposes. Districts as we knew them no longer exist. Conferences (which do not apply to football) consist of like size schools and will determine who goes on to the next round of playoffs.

Yes, I clearly don't get the point, because I'm only attacking the idiotic format for the same justification you're trying to uphold...

Since you'd argue with Steven Hawking over whether the Earth revolves around the sun, I'm assuredly wasting my time when I say this. But here goes, for what feels like the 17th time:

WHY COULDN'T CONFERENCES SERVE THOSE SAME PURPOSES?!?!

Intelligently designed, of course. I mean, it's not as if we're lumping Abingdon and Yorktown into the same conference (though putting Grayson and Grundy in the same conference is more than just basic idiocy). Like it's that much greater an inconvenience for Lebanon to drive the extra 22 minutes to play Graham.

Here's an idear:

Conference + District A:

Graham

Tazewell

Richlands

Lebanon

Grundy

Marion

Conference + District B:

J.S. Battle

Virginia

Gate City

Lee

Union

Central

Conference + District C:

Grayson

Floyd

Giles

Glenvar

James River

Martinsville

(I know this looks loopy, but the longest trip [Grayson - James River] is 2 hours...45 minutes less than that Grayson-Grundy trip the VHSL wants us to accept)

This should be abundantly clear by now, but again, give me one good reason why this couldn't suffice for (1) travel, (2) scheduling, and (3) playoff formats?

This should be abundantly clear by now, but again, give me one good reason why this couldn't suffice for (1) travel, (2) scheduling, and (3) playoff formats?

Because what works for our end of the State doesn't work for the part of the State that matters...

Yes, I clearly don't get the point, because I'm only attacking the idiotic format for the same justification you're trying to uphold...

Since you'd argue with Steven Hawking over whether the Earth revolves around the sun, I'm assuredly wasting my time when I say this. But here goes, for what feels like the 17th time:

WHY COULDN'T CONFERENCES SERVE THOSE SAME PURPOSES?!?!

Intelligently designed, of course. I mean, it's not as if we're lumping Abingdon and Yorktown into the same conference (though putting Grayson and Grundy in the same conference is more than just basic idiocy). Like it's that much greater an inconvenience for Lebanon to drive the extra 22 minutes to play Graham.

Here's an idear:

Conference + District A:

Graham

Tazewell

Richlands

Lebanon

Grundy

Marion

Conference + District B:

J.S. Battle

Virginia

Gate City

Lee

Union

Central

Conference + District C:

Grayson

Floyd

Giles

Glenvar

James River

Martinsville

(I know this looks loopy, but the longest trip [Grayson - James River] is 2 hours...45 minutes less than that Grayson-Grundy trip the VHSL wants us to accept)

This really isn't rocket science... Conferences can't serve the purpose you suggest because they serve an entirely different purpose. A conference has NOTHING to do with the regular season. A district has NOTHING to do with the post-season. Districts are based more on travel and less on school size. Conferences are based more on school size and less on travel. The purpose of having schools of mixed size in the same district is so schools like Abingdon won't have to play half their regular season games in Roanoke.

A conference is just a TOURNAMENT! That's all it is! It replaces both the district and region tournaments (although district tournaments can still be held they will be for bragging rights only). The ONLY purpose is to determine who moves on in the post-season.

Conference + District A:

Graham

Tazewell

Richlands

Lebanon

Grundy

Marion

Graham and Grundy didn't ask to be placed in a district with Richlands, Tazewell, and Lebanon, or to be placed in any district other than the one they are in. Marion asked to be placed in the HOGO instead of the SWD.

Conference + District B:

J.S. Battle

Virginia

Gate City

Lee

Union

Central

That was "New district 2" until VHS asked to be placed in the SWD instead.

Your proposal leaves out Abingdon and defeats the purpose of mixed districts... which is to address travel concerns.

This really isn't rocket science... Conferences can't serve the purpose you suggest because they serve an entirely different purpose. A conference has NOTHING to do with the regular season. A district has NOTHING to do with the post-season. Districts are based more on travel and less on school size. Conferences are based more on school size and less on travel. The purpose of having schools of mixed size in the same district is so schools like Abingdon won't have to play half their regular season games in Roanoke.

A conference is just a TOURNAMENT! That's all it is! It replaces both the district and region tournaments (although district tournaments can still be held they will be for bragging rights only). The ONLY purpose is to determine who moves on in the post-season.

Graham and Grundy didn't ask to be placed in a district with Richlands, Tazewell, and Lebanon, or to be placed in any district other than the one they are in. Marion asked to be placed in the HOGO instead of the SWD.

That was "New district 2" until VHS asked to be placed in the SWD instead.

Your proposal leaves out Abingdon and defeats the purpose of mixed districts... which is to address travel concerns.

Abingdon being the only 3A school in this area will need to be in a mixed district. the rest that were mentioned that are 2A schools playing in a 1A district should not be.

if it were "required" to play all teams in your district, then the 1A teams are getting screwed playing the 2A teams that are in effect "playing down" now...and with points/ratings coming in to play it's screwing the 2A teams being made to play a bunch of 1A teams? Also...it's setting up (in theory) the 2A teams playing smaller 1A schools for a playoff waxing once they step up and start playing 2A teams once the playoffs start.

If all the districts are being used for is travel concerns, then you are looking at mostly 4 or 5 games at most...if the travel is the driving factor, those schools would play each other anyway if you did away with districts all together and just went to a regional or conference format with more teams in a conference then a champion that would emerge from each to enter the playoffs.

All this is a big shovel of horse shit and things were better off when the districts meant something and the champs got an automatic bid...save for the 3 team districts...would have made things a lot better if they would have just left it alone and combined a few of the districts so you had 6 to 8 teams in each.

Going to a 6A system would have been awesome if it were done correctly...this is NOT it.

Abingdon being the only 3A school in this area will need to be in a mixed district. the rest that were mentioned that are 2A schools playing in a 1A district should not be.

if it were "required" to play all teams in your district, then the 1A teams are getting screwed playing the 2A teams that are in effect "playing down" now...and with points/ratings coming in to play it's screwing the 2A teams being made to play a bunch of 1A teams? Also...it's setting up (in theory) the 2A teams playing smaller 1A schools for a playoff waxing once they step up and start playing 2A teams once the playoffs start.

If all the districts are being used for is travel concerns, then you are looking at mostly 4 or 5 games at most...if the travel is the driving factor, those schools would play each other anyway if you did away with districts all together and just went to a regional or conference format with more teams in a conference then a champion that would emerge from each to enter the playoffs.

All this is a big shovel of horse shit and things were better off when the districts meant something and the champs got an automatic bid...save for the 3 team districts...would have made things a lot better if they would have just left it alone and combined a few of the districts so you had 6 to 8 teams in each.

Going to a 6A system would have been awesome if it were done correctly...this is NOT it.

Winner!

I didn't really have that much of a problem with the new districts until I realized what Lance just pointed out. I don't think it's as bad having 1A schools play 2A schools (in those mixed districts, there's only one or two 2A schools, so it's not that bad) but with the points system in place, those 2A schools who have to play 3-5 1A schools are getting screwed....especially when they reach the post season.

I think they should either take another look at the districts or forget about travel concerns and just use the conference setups for districts (and then not have these conference tournaments unless the district wants to have them...otherwise, just go straight into sectional play like football).

I guess the whole lesson here though is that you can't have everything and the VHSL just won't make any exceptions for our area that makes sense.

I guess the whole lesson here though is that you can't have everything and the VHSL just won't make any exceptions for our area that makes sense.

And this leads back to what GMan and I have said: a system that makes sense for SWVA will work even better for places that don't have the travel issues that SWVA has.

Marion does not want to be with those schools. They would rather be in the Hogo or with proximal schools because it lightens their travel and consequently, their competition.

Yeh, they could go 8-2 or 9-1 and barely make the playoffs on points...

I haven't seen the football points scale, I don't think it's been released yet, but the non-football scale has no penalty for playing schools in a smaller class. 7 points for each win regardless of class. Zero points for each loss in the same class or lower, and one point for each loss one class higher, two for two classes higher, etc. I don't know what the football scale will be but I assume it will operate on the same principal

I haven't seen the football points scale, I don't think it's been released yet, but the non-football scale has no penalty for playing schools in a smaller class. 7 points for each win regardless of class. Zero points for each loss in the same class or lower, and one point for each loss one class higher, two for two classes higher, etc. I don't know what the football scale will be but I assume it will operate on the same principal

if that is the case, you will see people (especially on the other side of the state) playing the easiest possible schedule just to make the playoffs and go one and out every year.

Once again, the VHSL has totally screwed this up and needs to sit down and actually figure out what they want to accomplish in the big picture and just do it.

If the goal is to put as many teams in the playoffs each year (aka the "everyone gets a trophy" system)...then just do it...put everyone in the playoffs and match them up top vs bottom and let the beatings begin.

If the goal is to give the best teams in the state a fair chance at being a true state champion according to size, then do that...and have your 6 state champs.

What is going on right now, with this new system...is just a mess.

The football ratings scale was the firsr one that was released, last April.

It's similar to the one from a few years ago that gave different points for each Division.

You get 4 points for playing a 1A, 6 for 2A, 8 for 3A, etc., then 12 more for a win.

Rider points are - 1 for each win by any (non-private) opponent you LOST to, or 2 if you beat them.

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/fb-ratings-committee-minutes-042012.pdf