Prayers for Louisville's Kevin Ware

-oo-

If you missed the injury it was easily the ugliest injury I've seen in sports ever. It looks a lot worse than Joe Theismann's injury. I was completely sickened when I saw it. I also heard $670,000 for the medical expenses. Prayers for him and his future in basketball. I should probably add the injury is very graphic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os7HP7F60vo

Edited by -oo-

If you missed the injury it was easily the ugliest injury I've seen in sports ever. It looks a lot worse than Joe Theismann's injury. I was completely sickened when I saw it. I also heard $670,000 for the medical expenses. Prayers for him and his future in basketball. I should probably add the injury is very graphic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os7HP7F60vo

It was the worst thing to happen in major college basketball since Hank Gathers.

I initially thought that there was some mass collision, as Hairston from Duke was covering his eyes and Behanan and Siva from Louisville were down on the ground. But no. I had just eaten a nice, large Easter dinner, and had to fight the urge to wretch with everything I had. And I haven't done that in 14 years.

What I've heard is a double compound fracture, which would jive with the image in which his leg looks like roughly like a triangle.

I'm very pessimistic about recovery from something like that. I know that modern medicine has advanced far since the days of Theismann, but this injury is bad. It is significantly worse than Michael Bush, whose injury everyone is using as a point of comparison. It is even worse than Theismann's, as Theismann's was 1 clean break through the tibia and fibula. Theismann walks with a limp today because of that injury.

Ware may never walk properly again, much less play organized basketball. I pray that I can eat my words, but his playing days are very likely over.

It was the worst thing to happen in major college basketball since Hank Gathers.

I initially thought that there was some mass collision, as Hairston from Duke was covering his eyes and Behanan and Siva from Louisville were down on the ground. But no. I had just eaten a nice, large Easter dinner, and had to fight the urge to wretch with everything I had. And I haven't done that in 14 years.

What I've heard is a double compound fracture, which would jive with the image in which his leg looks like roughly like a triangle.

I'm very pessimistic about recovery from something like that. I know that modern medicine has advanced far since the days of Theismann, but this injury is bad. It is significantly worse than Michael Bush, whose injury everyone is using as a point of comparison. It is even worse than Theismann's, as Theismann's was 1 clean break through the tibia and fibula. Theismann walks with a limp today because of that injury.

Ware may never walk properly again, much less play organized basketball. I pray that I can eat my words, but his playing days are very likely over.

I sincerely hope he will be able to come back from this. Tyrone Prothro of Alabama (vs Floride, 2005) comes to mind. I don't believe Prothro's injury was a compound fracture, but he broke both the tibia and fibula. He never played again. I pray that's not the case here.

0401-kevin-ware-2.jpg

Remarkable that Ware is already up and on crutches. Hopefully, he can make a full recovery and find his way back onto the basketball court sometime in the future. The L'ville doctors don't believe its career ending but he sure has a long road ahead of him.

Remarkable that Ware is already up and on crutches. Hopefully, he can make a full recovery and find his way back onto the basketball court sometime in the future. The L'ville doctors don't believe its career ending but he sure has a long road ahead of him.

His legs are rail-thin. I wonder...

0401-kevin-ware-2.jpg

My brother broke his leg in a football game his senior year pretty much the same way, broke both the tibia and fibula, and was up walking in no time. Was just a couple of weeks and he was already walking some without crutches, so it's not too surprising (to me at least) that he's up walking in this pic. Still a gruesome injury though. Might come back from it, might not, but I'd say either way, he won't be 100%.