Huntington Herald Dispatch-Richlands' Devon Johnson sparks Offense

trublue

Good article on former Richlands player, Devon Johnson, now at Marshall in a new position as a tight end.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/marshall/x1238379707/Johnson-sparks-offense

August 10, 2013 @ 11:00 PM

GRANT TRAYLOR

The Herald-Dispatch

HUNTINGTON -- Things were sort of stagnant for Marshall University's offense during Saturday's initial scrimmage of the 2013 football preseason.

And then, something happened.

That something was Marshall tight end Devon Johnson.

Johnson turned what appeared to be a mundane 5-yard out from quarterback Blake Frohnapfel into the day's top play as he made the catch then trucked a would-be tackler.

The unfortunate body on the wrong end of the collision was safety Corie Wilson, who was giving up 70 pounds -- and ultimately, his dignity -- on the play.

However, it wasn't necessarily that Wilson did anything wrong.

His pad level was good, shoulders squared and he was broken down for the tackle.

The funny thing is, that's what Johnson -- a former linebacker-turned-tight end -- did as well, all while securing the ball.

"I love to hit, and that's why they love to have me on offense," Johnson said. "I can hit and I can run routes. I'm athletic and I can catch. They can put me in the backfield or I can be spread out. But they like me best because I hit hard."

The play got the offensive sideline, which had been surprisingly silent for much of the scrimmage, back into the flow again and they began to click a little bit.

On the next series, the offense got its lone touchdown of the day when Gunnar Holcombe hit true freshman Josh Knight on a 51-yard pass play.

However, it went back to Johnson and the impact he brings to the table -- a high-energy guy that has the ability to turn the Thundering Herd up a level with his play.

"That's how it should be," Marshall head coach Doc Holliday said. "They're excited when a kid makes a play. I've said all along, these kids, they like to play football. During camp at times, it starts to drag. We've been going what? Six days now. We can't let it drag. Just to be able for someone to step up and make a play like that, that helps all of us."

Johnson has been doing more than just making plays.

For the tight ends, Johnson brings a level of physicality to the meeting room and the field that has rubbed off on Gator Hoskins and Eric Frohnapfel.

Frohnapfel even commented Friday about how he watches film and takes note of Johnson's bursts and how he explodes into players from his position.

For tight ends coach Todd Hartley, Johnson is a welcome addition because everyone knows what they are getting when he takes the field.

"They can see it, and that's why the kids love him," Hartley said. "They see that, hey, if Devon can do this, I need to do this."

While the physicality is the most impressive aspect of his game, he is quickly proving that it isn't his only attribute.

During Thursday's practice session, Johnson made a one-handed catch on a hot read in the skeleton drills, then turned it up-field for a big gain.

And, of course, there was Saturday's play when he turned a 5-yard pass on a third-and-10 into a first down.

"Devon brings flexibility to our offense because of what we can do with him," Hartley said. "If we can put him at tight end and then put him in the backfield without taking him out, then we can go even faster. He's been a surprise this camp."

The tight end meeting room is also meshing quickly because the players are able to help each other with different things in their game.

Hoskins and Frohnapfel are busy helping Johnson get acclimated to the route-running and fundamentals of being a tight end while Johnson is showing how to add that physical nature to their repertoire.

"It's a great combination, and they are doing a great job," Hartley said. "They are meshing, they are jelling and they are looking after each other."

Johnson will join Marshall's players for Fan Day, which is scheduled for 4 p.m. at Joan C. Edwards Stadium on Sunday.

Fans will be able to get pictures and autographs with Herd players, who also will take part in a team photo, as well as individual and position photos.

The Herd returns to practice at 9:15 a.m., Monday, and will also practice at 4 p.m.