Gate City @ Richlands: Week 1

Nadoball

Unfortunately this is true. It's torn much worse than last year, and has some meniscus damage as well.

Hate it for anyone to get hurt, but with what he went through losing his father, this is a really hard blow to him. At some point it's no longer about football, it becomes about life. This is one of those times. Prayers for the young man.

How true Ryan... it is NOT about football at this point.

The respect and caring for this quality young man by Richlands' fans is about more than just his performing in a high school sport.

May God's peace rest upon you, Gray, in the coming weeks, months and years.

Hate it for anyone to get hurt, but with what he went through losing his father, this is a really hard blow to him. At some point it's no longer about football, it becomes about life. This is one of those times. Prayers for the young man.

^^^THIS^^^

My prayers are with Gray and his family---

Life has many choices---eternity two

I am really impressed tonight, although the defense let me down just a bit as the game rolled on. But, River Michaels had me in awe. I was not a believer and he shocked me with his four or five touchdowns tonight. Hopefully he just gets better and better. Union should be a hell of a game and a panic attack waiting to happen, just like the other two.

I am really impressed tonight, although the defense let me down just a bit as the game rolled on. But, River Michaels had me in awe. I was not a believer and he shocked me with his four or five touchdowns tonight. Hopefully he just gets better and better. Union should be a hell of a game and a panic attack waiting to happen, just like the other two.

I didn't get to see the game because I was at the GHS BHS game but my buddies down that was say River Michaels just dominated. They talked like he just came out of the blue no pun intended and looked unstoppable. Hats off to a kid few believed in and lit it up! Way to go young man. I hate to say it but I will be down there to watch the kid next week. Graham Taz has about as much appeal as watching cake boss with my wife. Good luck young man and keep it up. Richlands looks to be the only area team to have a shot at a real good year, even when people said they were down

I didn't get to see the game because I was at the GHS BHS game but my buddies down that was say River Michaels just dominated. They talked like he just came out of the blue no pun intended and looked unstoppable. Hats off to a kid few believed in and lit it up! Way to go young man. I hate to say it but I will be down there to watch the kid next week. Graham Taz has about as much appeal as watching cake boss with my wife. Good luck young man and keep it up. Richlands looks to be the only area team to have a shot at a real good year, even when people said they were down

Just checking, you do know that our game is at Union, right? Just don't want you to make plans to come down and then get to Richlands and no one is there. Lol. 

River, a junior, wasn't the designated starter, Gray, a senior, was because of his outstanding performance for half a season last year. Mance said in an article for the BDT written prior to the game...you better have two qb's, two centers, and two RB's repping every day in practice because injuries happen.

There's a saying in football, you seize the moment if it comes... River certainly did with the devastating injury to Gray in pre-season. Gray was the "QB coach" last night on the sidelines aiding River and encouraging him. The Richlands team is just that...a team...they support and encourage each other...they are a unified "band of brothers."

Also, credit is due to Mance and his staff in developing a simplified game plan in such a short time after Gray's diagnosis. Saying all that...River played liked a "seasoned" starter...River seized the moment. River is now the starting QB for Richlands and he more than earned the praise he is deservedly receiving.

I was very proud of River last night as I was the whole team ! 

I was worried about how River would handle his first varisty start in front of a big crowd at Ernie,  and he looked like a seasoned veteran out there !  He made some great throws and ran hard and directed the offense like he had been the starter last year.  Coach Mance did a good job getting him ready and simplifying the offense for him also.

I was glad to see how Gray seemed to be handling everything and was helping River.  It has to be a tough situation for the kid with everything he has went through.  Mance had said on the pre-game show that Gray had several colleges looking at him so this could have been a big year for Gray.  I hope someone will still give the kid a chance.

I really like the way Colton runs with the ball.  I like the way he looks for contact instead of running out of bounds,  but I do worry about what the extra hits may do as far as him staying healthy for the entire year,  but you can't change the way you play because you are worried about being injured.

I thought the D looked great the 1st qtr and then seemed to get a little lazy on their tackling in the 2nd and part of the 3rd qtr,  but they do have a lot of new starters that need to learn to bring it on every play and that will come.  Over all, the D did a good job.  I really like the way Ben B. played last night.  He looked like a real ball hawk on D and made some great catches on O and made some good blocks too.  The O line looked good most of the time and especially on run blocking,  but did seem to struggle a little with pass blocking at times,  but they also are young as far as playing together so they will get better and I think have the potential to be a very good line !

I thought for the 1st game that they looked good but still have some things to work on,  but I do worry when we face teams that have a lot of speed (  as in Bluefield ).

We will get an idea of just how good the Blues can be this year when they play at Union next week.

I will be there and yes I knew, but thanks all the same. I am going with a friend. I was amazed b brown wasn't the qb given all he had done the second half of last year but hats off to him and all he has done good luck to the blues except when they play graham this year.

Taking nothing away from the other ten on the field. Football is a team sport. I'm just glad we have a team in the area doing work and taking care if business. Besides someone needs to beat Bluefield this year! Good luck and I will see you in Union God willing! Lol

P.s. I don't think union will be a problem