long hauls

redtiger

Week 2 PH @ TW was a doozy, 110 miles and just over 2 hours.

Next up is Hurley @ Craig County this week.

146 miles and 3 hours 25 minutes, non stop in a car.   82 miles and 1 hour 53 minutes of which are in West Virginia(gotta be a record for most time traveled in another state for a in-state game).  73 miles and 1 hour 47 minutes on 2 lane roads.

Next week is TW @ Hurley  just over 3 hours, 149 miles, and then TV @ Hannan WV on 10/11, 3 hours 30 minutes, 199 miles.

The last 2 are mostly on 4Lane roads but the time/distance is just ridiculous.

Surely some competitive games can be found closer.

I wonder how much WV they would have to travel through (Hurley) if they had to play someone like Bath County in the playoffs?  Sure, I'll Google Map it. 

Almost 140 miles?  Yeah, that would surely be unique for an in-stater.

I dont know how I overlooked that one stripes,

Lee @ Grayson  2 hours 46 minutes, 146 miles. Again that one is mostly 4 lane but is still a long way for a game.

You would think these games would be moved to saturday afternoon. Does the VHSL allow that just for travel reasons?

Same thing is happening in Tennessee as well, Dobyns-Bennett will make their second trip in four weeks to the Chattanooga area for a game.

Fort Chiswell is playing Thomasville, NC as well in a couple of weeks, didn't look it up but that has to be a long one as well.

I've always thought the reason for these games was to give your team a feeling of what a playoff game might feel like, traveling a long distance to play an unfamiliar opponent...

I like the unique matchups but if i had a kid playing im sure i may feel differently about it.

FC @ Thomasville   1 hour 43 minutes, 103 miles

DB @  Ooltewah  2 hours 55 minutes, 192 miles

I completely understand and LOVE the idea of playing long road trips against teams you are unfamiliar with but these are just too much imo. For a program like DB its no big deal, they are a legit deep playoff run contender and have the $  will probably rent a coach bus(and 2 for the band!) but for TV this has to be a huge expense and the gate next year when Hannan comes to Keen Mountain is not gonna good.

But why not just travel out of state on a trip against a team you have never seen before, one that's relatively close.  Or at least move them to Saturday

Now that is a game well worth the drive!  but is  very long drive.

2 hours 34 minutes, 114 miles from my house to Greeneville HS!

I would almost do it, if I didn't have to be in Coeburn tomorrow night. I might make the trip over to Baxter next season.

Now that is a game well worth the drive!  but is  very long drive.

2 hours 34 minutes, 114 miles from my house to Greeneville HS!

I would almost do it, if I didn't have to be in Coeburn tomorrow night. I might make the trip over to Baxter next season.

Good thing you didn't go. Greenville beat Harlan 45-0.

They dropped a game to Johnson Central, 36-14, last week.  From reading BGR, it appears they've fallen apart the past couple of weeks, one of the more undisciplined teams they've had.  I've seen them all but this year and HC is usually very sound and well coached.  Doesn't sound like they're having a typical season.

They dropped a game to Johnson Central, 36-14, last week.  From reading BGR, it appears they've fallen apart the past couple of weeks, one of the more undisciplined teams they've had.  I've seen them all but this year and HC is usually very sound and well coached.  Doesn't sound like they're having a typical season.

Harlan Co. already has 3 losses to Belfry, Johnson Central and Greenville. All 3 are excellent teams but it is unusual for Harlan Co to lose 3 in a row.

jethro, what kind of pleasure do you get from talkin $#!t about every program you can at every chance you get?

I mean seriously, please enlighten me on the mindset of an a$$#0le.

Thank you, I think he has nothing better to do with his time...

Last Friday I watched Camden Co Georgia host Valdosta in front of around 12,000. Valdosta traveled about 140 miles to get there. Great game too, as Camden Co held on at the end for a 14-10 win. Lot of speed on display that night. Camden Co. has 2 kids who have committed to Alabama, along with one to FIU and one to Marshall.