Crowds on Battle Hill

ThomasDenton

I've been thinking lately that since our football program has been turning around, we've been getting some really great crowds up on Battle Hill. I remember the days when you didn't see hardly anyone sitting on the end of the home stands between the press box and lower concession stand. Now, it's packed nearly every game! The Honaker game crowd really impressed me. Of course, it was our homecoming game, so we were going to have a lot on our side anyway, but Honaker brought a great crowd as well. But the crowd that has impressed me most this season was the one at the JSB/VHS game in week 2. There were no seats left in the stands (literally...none at all) and the standing crowd was 2 rows deep in most places around the field. It was electrifying (even with the slightly smaller crowd at this last game, Honaker's camera guy said to me that from the parking lot to the stadium, it was like a college atmosphere). If we can get a crowd like at the game against VHS in week 2, just imagine what it'd be like if we had them mid season for homecoming or later for senior night! The atmosphere hasn't been this great on Battle Hill since I've been alive IMO and that includes the 98 season. Hopefully this will continue for many years and really become the norm at JSB, win or lose.

Also, does anyone actually know how many Battle's stadium will hold? I imagine that it's about the same as PH and Abingdon's stadiums, so if anyone at least has a number for theirs, then that would give us a ballpark estimate for Battle.

I think its awesome, use to besides the reserved seats you could sit anywhere you wanted now if you dont get there early its slim pickings. The noise also is great!! I have no idea how many it holds but we have been packing the house and it feels great:)

I think its awesome, use to besides the reserved seats you could sit anywhere you wanted now if you dont get there early its slim pickings. The noise also is great!! I have no idea how many it holds but we have been packing the house and it feels great:)

I've only been to one game on Battle Hill, last years playoff game with Va High. That atmosphere was pretty awesome. I like the stadium layout and with the seats right on top of the field it's even better. Hopefully Battle can keep it up and be up there with the Richlands', Gate City's and Union's of SWVA for years to come.

I've been thinking lately that since our football program has been turning around, we've been getting some really great crowds up on Battle Hill. I remember the days when you didn't see hardly anyone sitting on the end of the home stands between the press box and lower concession stand. Now, it's packed nearly every game! The Honaker game crowd really impressed me. Of course, it was our homecoming game, so we were going to have a lot on our side anyway, but Honaker brought a great crowd as well. But the crowd that has impressed me most this season was the one at the JSB/VHS game in week 2. There were no seats left in the stands (literally...none at all) and the standing crowd was 2 rows deep in most places around the field. It was electrifying (even with the slightly smaller crowd at this last game, Honaker's camera guy said to me that from the parking lot to the stadium, it was like a college atmosphere). If we can get a crowd like at the game against VHS in week 2, just imagine what it'd be like if we had them mid season for homecoming or later for senior night! The atmosphere hasn't been this great on Battle Hill since I've been alive IMO and that includes the 98 season. Hopefully this will continue for many years and really become the norm at JSB, win or lose.

Also, does anyone actually know how many Battle's stadium will hold? I imagine that it's about the same as PH and Abingdon's stadiums, so if anyone at least has a number for theirs, then that would give us a ballpark estimate for Battle.

A successful high school football team can unite a community like nothing else. Great to read this post.