Gate City

wave316

You have to give the Gate City team credit! After a difficult start they are playing good football. A good lesson to all of us to keep working hard and persevere. Where the Gate City team winds up the next few weeks we cannot say... Gaining confidence could take them and all of us to great things! Who else is really starting to play great in the second half of the season?

You have to give the Gate City team credit! After a difficult start they are playing good football. A good lesson to all of us to keep working hard and persevere. Where the Gate City team winds up the next few weeks we cannot say... Gaining confidence could take them and all of us to great things! Who else is really starting to play great in the second half of the season?

Galax

I checked out Galax's record...they only lost to Giles by 5 points and they gave Ft Chiswell a great game...I would say Galax would be a dangerous opponent for anyone come playoff time!

Galax is a solid team, but I have to tell you, they actually did Not give FC a great game.  FC completely took it to them and they could not stop FC's offensive line from blowing them 7 yards off the ball.  Galax also played FC at home and got throttled.  I agree that Galax is solid and they are one heck of a team with losses coming to a close one with Giles and losing to Altavista who ranks 2nd in Virginia in Div 1.  The Altavista score was similar to the FC score (very close) regarding margin of victory for Altavista over Galax and Fort Chiswell over Galax, but the Altavista game was much closer than the score indicated and the FC game was actually worse than the score indicated.

Gate City is looking more and more like the Gate City I used to know. They just wore out Battle up front last night. To be honest the devils should of won 49-14. If not for 2 turnovers inside the Battle 5 yard line it would of been ugly for Battle.

I checked out Galax's record...they only lost to Giles by 5 points and they gave Ft Chiswell a great game...I would say Galax would be a dangerous opponent for anyone come playoff time!

Saw that Galax also lost by one to 2A Glenvar. Glenvar looks kinda spotty but could be primed to make an upset in the opening round.

Saw that Galax also lost by one to 2A Glenvar. Glenvar looks kinda spotty but could be primed to make an upset in the opening round.

Might consider the Glenvar game was first game of season (not taking anything away from Glenvar).  Sixcat could verify, but I think Galax might of had some player(s) out that game.

Gate City is playing better, and having more success.

Part of this is because the younger players on the team have grown up some, and are playing better. The freshman QB is making better decisions, and the line on both sides of the ball is playing better. Play calling has also improved. It seemed like early in the year we were trying to run many different plays out of many different formations. The last few weeks we have gone to a more simple game plan. No doubt those formations/plays are still available, but stick to what is working. Kick coverage has gotten better. Still not great, but better. it was killing us early in the year.

Part of this is that the competition earlier in the year was pretty tough. No offense to the teams GC has played recently, but OVERALL, VA High, Lee, Battle, and Wise Central are not as tough as Richlands, Sullivan South, Bluefield, and Union. (Not that it would have mattered with Bluefield, but we dealt wtih some player suspensions during that span.)

ALL teams deal with multiple injuries this time of year. No way around it. A couple of weeks ago our 4th string tailback was forced to get some carries due to injuries. Our starting tailback missed some time, but now is back...........with a cast on his arm. We have a RB (who is averaging over 9 yards a carry and 46 yards a punt return) who looks like he will be out again this week. Again, ALL teams are going through this right now. You just have to put your healthiest kids on the field and hope for the best.

Another semi-down year for GC, but I have been impressed with the way the team has improved. Thought we would be lucky to win 4 games this year. Real happy I was wrong about that.