Abingdon vs Marion (for real)

BigO

Geez 00, I didn't realize you were such a homer. AHS beat Chilhowie, played Richlands to the end and should've won, beat Lebanon, beat Tazewell, and beat Volunteer.  Had we beat you all we would have both wound up with 5-5 records.  We also were without our starting RB/Safety. To say that this was the worst team you've seen in years is a little harsh.  This team almost beat Richlands AT Rishlands....and they would have won with better coaching...no question about it. Against you all  we fumbled the frickin initial KO and gave you the ball at like the 18.  AHS was doomed from there.  And yes, a different scheme would have made HUGE difference.  Oftentimes our LB's (all 2of them) were asked to come up on the line before the snap and once Wagner made it through the line there was NOBODY there to stop him.  You automatically give a kid 15 yards, he'll take it everytime.  Why would a staff ask their LB's to come to the gap before the snap against a run heavy team with NOBODY to back them up?  You run a blast and the lead blocker takes on the LB and the RB has a free 15 yards.  The 50 defense is RIDICULOUS to use, especially against a run heavy team.  Coaching staff even took the blame for not having the team ready....I know for a fact that they told them that after the game.  Which actually surprised me a bit.  Usually this HC tells the team that the loss is all the kids fault....coaches had nothing to do with it.  Whether true or not, you don't tell your kids that.  But the fact that the HC actually took some blame amazes me....and makes me ask "why in the $*&@ did you not have them ready?"  I mean, geez, I don't know, maybe there's a chance your team could make the playoffs if they win.  This guy has got.to.go.  I know these kids very well and I know what they can do.  I realize you guys don't know them...but don't jump to conclusions about their ability.  I will guarantee you all this....if we get a new coach...I don't care who it is...if we get a new coach this team will finish at least 7-3 next year. I know that sounds whack to say...but I truly believe it.    We only lose 4 seniors this year (6 actually but only 4 play)...and that's more evidence to my point about this staff....what the hell is a school the size of AHS doing with ONLY 4 seniors????  4.  It's insane.   

From what little I have seen online of Marion they run a lot of Inside Zone read if their OL locks up with the defenders for a split second a power back like Wagner will run right thru their arm tackles. I will agree there, that is dumb. A 50 defense can be good against running teams, Haysi ran a lot of 5-2 against Honaker's heavy run sets. It allows all 7 box defenders to attack the running game and the Safety's to clean up. But putting everyone on the los is dumb, gotta have layers to your defense.  Unless the Offense is in a 2 TE or 3 Back set a 5 man front is a major disadvantage to the defense, even more so against a 4WR team.    and you're right BigO, only 6 seniors is ridiculous for a school Abingdon's size, don't forget those other 2. Seniors mean a lot to a team, regardless of if they start or not. Seniors mean leadership and experience.

I agree Red, those other 2 count....but one is a special needs kid and as far as the 6th kid goes this was his first year playing football.  So yes, they all matter but we should have at least 12-16 seniors....at least.  Here's some more crazy stuff for you.  I know, for a fact,  that one of the main assistants once said that he never ever wanted the 2's to beat the 1's to help keep the 1's confidence level high.  Yes, he said that.  They never even give the 2's a chance to challenge for the position.  He also said that he never likes to switch his O line out...he likes to keep the same kids all year no matter what.  To put that in perspective, colleges DIE for depth, for obvious reasons.  AHS, though, in all their football wisdom, doesn't want depth with any experience.  This makes sense that when we played Volunteer and had the game won with 5 minutes to go, the 1's stayed in...and the starting QB was back returning kickoffs.  Now, I know this sounds crazy, but I swear I have begun to think that this staff WANTS (or wanted) to lose games.  I can't fathom that a coach, at any level, would put their starting QB back to return KO's when there are about 5 other kids on the sideline that could do it.  Why risk the injury? Your 2 deep QB is a freshman. Makes no sense.

In regards to running a 50 D....yes, as long as the LB's hold their spot about 3-5 yards off the los.  Otherwise, you give up 15 yards.  I'm telling you Red, against Happy Valley, this staff had our 2 LB's to come around the end from their normal spot.  They didn't shade to the end to get a head start.  They were asked to run around the end from the snap and HV ran all night long up the middle. Over and over again.  I'm not making this up.  I watched the film over and over again.  HV had the ball on about the 6 yard line...they called a blast play and the RB walked into the endzone. There was NOBODY there to stop him.  The D coord called a pinch D against VHS (I think it was them...that may have been against HV also) from the 1.5 yard line...there was NO noseguard....QB walked in standing up. A pinch play with no nose from the 1.5 yard line?  Are you kidding me???  Anyway, sorry for the rant.  The 50 D....I agree the 50 can be a good D...but you have to have the personnel and the COACHING to make it effective.  We had neither.  The team they had this year should have based out of 4-3 with 2 corners and 2 safety's.  They should run a cover 2 D with OLB's watching for slants from a slot receiver and the CB's watching outs and hitch and go type stuff.  Or go with a rover and 1 safety.  Rover to line up on strong side.  I know this is risky...but I would even have my safety roll to the side the QB rolls to because, outside of Riner at Eastside, I have yet to see a QB with the vision and arm strength at the high school level to throw back across the field. Riner did that pretty well...rolled far right and threw to middle of field.  But as far as the kids on this AHS team....4-3 base with some variations in the backfield...bring a nickel package in on 3rd, make a safety to play rover on passing downs.  Heck, bring a safety up to show blitz..whether the kid blitzes or not is a different question.  You know this team NEVER EVER EVER went on 2 this year.  Never. Not once.  They would occasionally go on first sound.  But teams picked up on cadence and never had to worry about jumping.  The excuse given for never going on two?  Our kids jump.  I understand that risk.  But, you work on it in practice because it could easily result in a first down on 3rd and shorts. Just work on it...that's what practice is for.  Enough for now....sorry to ramble. 

You're not rambling, I wanted to know what was going on. You have legit points.

The outside blitz thing is puzzling to me, idk why you would ever do that.  As far as what is the best defense to run, I personally like 4-4, that's what we always ran with the ability to go 5-2. 5-3, or 4-3 and keep the same rules for the DL/LBs. How did they run a 50 front with no Noseguard?

You're right about going for 2. That's generally a cheap/easy 5 yards and very helpful in certain situations(Haysi and Honaker combined went on 2 at least 3 times Friday night).

No, my bad guys....they have a nose in their base....they just had no nose on that goal line play.  They ran a pinch play with 4 down linemen on that particular play.  LB's were 3 yards deep in the end zone.  I just don't agree with a goal line D with no nose...no matter what your base D is. 

Yeah, just go on 2 about 3-4 times a game.  Keep the line honest.  Its not rocket science.  I actually don't think they have gone on 2 the last 2 years.  I understand going on first sound if you capitalize on the other teams unpreparedness....but first sound after the D is set and ready is worthless..to a degree.  Here's another shocker.....they ran about 3 plays I have never seen them run all year this past Friday.  It was late in the game against Marions probably 3 deep kids....but they ran a reverse, a jet sweep from motion, and a jet sweep fake 32 trap. They looked good (I know it was against 3rd string) running it....but why try that in last game of the year trailing 52-0.  They scored on the sweep, picked up like 10-12 yards on the reverse, and picked up 15 on the fake sweep trap.

I like going on 2 in strategic situations, not just randomly. I like going on first sound at any time!  Moving from a 5 man front to a 4 man front on the goal line makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. As far as the new plays, maybe that's a look at what they will run next season.

Red, you sound as if you are understanding my coaching complaints.  I promise you I have not exaggerated one bit in my examples.  I promise you.  People think I come on here just trying to make excuses....but what I tell you all is pure truth.  It's really THAT bad.  Hoping like crazy that there will be a different staff calling plays next year.  It needs to happen. 

Lol,more whine..i guess next year you are gonna be ..wait,still falcon awful..i see a trend..marion by 50 over a school that has so many panzy,snobby,disrespectful ppl in and around the football program..you all still got a dance squad..lol

Lol,more whine..i guess next year you are gonna be ..wait,still falcon awful..i see a trend..marion by 50 over a school that has so many panzy,snobby,disrespectful ppl in and around the football program..you all still got a dance squad..lol

Your continued jabs at Abingdon do nothing more than show your jealousy.  Seriously dude, lighten up....you sound a bit obsessive about Abingdon.