Abingdon vs Marion (for real)

BigO

Okay guys, enough with these 2 idiots that claim to be from Abingdon.  You guys have got to know these clowns never even attended AHS, right?  In case you didn't know that, you do now. 

Anyway, the game.  I hate to keep saying it...but I have to.  It all comes down to play calling for AHS. I truly wish everyone could see what I am talking about.  Of course, not everybody can be at every game.  But I have posted scenario after scenario on here so you have read what a coaching buffoon we have.  Including our D coord.  I am very hopeful this is their last year, as is rumored. AHS can beat Marion.  Plain an simple.  Will they? Different story.  I'm in a catch 22...I want the kids to win and the coaches to lose.  Every game they win worries me more and more that this staff will be back next year.  If AHS makes the playoffs whatever team they play will beat them...I agree with that.  I am certain that the worlds worst prognosticator (who does the original Leonard a true disgrace) will pick Marion to win.  I hope he does....it means AHS will. He's kinda like Corso with UT.  My prediction...AHS 35 Marion 21.  For this to happen the LB's must fill gaps and not be made to come around the freaking end (wonderful coaching they have). Marion does have a good RB and AHS must contain him.  If he gets over 100yds then Marion wins. IMHO.

Now, have at it.

I'm not being argumentative with you Canes00, but as weird as this is, I think if anybody wins by 2 TD's it will be AHS.  If Marion wins, which I am not saying won't happen, it will be closer than 2 TD's.  AHS historically doesn't win close games....which is why I was shocked they won last week.  They either win big or lose big or lose close. Rarely do they win close. 

It's your home...you come over to the visitors side.  I hope you guys will seriously watch the play calling from our coaches.  No matter the score...if we are winning big or losing big...just watch the actual play calling.  On both O and D.  You will probably laugh out loud.  It's pretty comical (I've reached the point where I just have to laugh). Anyway, come over to the visitors side guys and intro yourself.  I'll be the guy wearing blue.

I think this one comes down to two things: Marion's linebackers and center. The Canes' linebackers have been stout all year, but they really struggled last week with poorly disciplined tackles, allowing Brown to run all over them (not a hard thing to let happen). However, the more consistent problem has been getting the ball to the quarterback. There have been games this season where I was hoping and praying for Marion to pun, because having their offense on the field was a liability with the ball rolling to the QB's feet on every other play. I think after being embarrassed by the Cats last week, the Canes will come focused and get the job done this week, but if they can't tackle appropriately and can't keep the ball off the ground, it could be a long night for Marion. 

If the Canes bring their A-game, I like Marion 38-24, but if they struggle again, I'm going to say Abingdon 35-28. 

Be safe driving up here BigO, and anyone else who may be traveling tonight.

I'm not being argumentative with you Canes00, but as weird as this is, I think if anybody wins by 2 TD's it will be AHS.  If Marion wins, which I am not saying won't happen, it will be closer than 2 TD's.  AHS historically doesn't win close games....which is why I was shocked they won last week.  They either win big or lose big or lose close. Rarely do they win close. 

He leads the Pick-Em by a large margin.  I don't change my picks, but this makes me consider it...

He leads the Pick-Em by a large margin.  I don't change my picks, but this makes me consider it...

So he's batting .1000?  He's missed some, I'm sure.  Either way, your pick is safe. lol.  Good luck to all tonight...most of all lets hope its injury free and not decided by refs.

They had some early turnovers that proved costly.  Marion capitalized well.  I heard from a parent tonight that his son begged our coaches all week to run a different D and he was shot down.  The kid then told his dad that AHS would be down 50 to 0 by half if we stayed with the D they had them set up in.  Marion won and congrats.  However, I think AHS might have won a different battle.....if being down 52-0 at half won't get you fired then I guess nothing will.  It's truly disheartening when you KNOW you have a BUNCH of very talented kids that you have coached in the past and then they get to the high school varsity program and get coached horribly and all their work in the past is for naught.  Very disheartening.  Best of luck to all the teams moving on into the post season!

They had some early turnovers that proved costly.  Marion capitalized well.  I heard from a parent tonight that his son begged our coaches all week to run a different D and he was shot down.  The kid then told his dad that AHS would be down 50 to 0 by half if we stayed with the D they had them set up in.  Marion won and congrats.  However, I think AHS might have won a different battle.....if being down 52-0 at half won't get you fired then I guess nothing will.  It's truly disheartening when you KNOW you have a BUNCH of very talented kids that you have coached in the past and then they get to the high school varsity program and get coached horribly and all their work in the past is for naught.  Very disheartening.  Best of luck to all the teams moving on into the post season!

@BigO, I'm really not trying to be a smart azz when I say this, but if your team gets manhandled like Marion manhandled Abingdon last night you have to realize at some point Marion was just the better team.  More talented, more physical, and just wanted it more.  That's not all coaching my friend.  I'm not saying Abingdon doesn't need a coaching change, and I'm not saying they do, but I am saying a beat down like this isn't all coaching.  That would be like me saying the Richlands loss to Lord Bot (56-0) was Mance's fault.  Sometimes you are just out manned.  That was the case with Marion and Abingdon Friday night. 

I heard from a parent tonight that his son begged our coaches all week to run a different D and he was shot down. 

I have responded to your posts about Abingdon's coaching before, and im going to again. I really hope you don't think im trying to argue with you, just offering some perspective.

What makes a high school kid think he knows jack about a defensive scheme and how it will matchup against a 4 wide spread team?  The fact that that young man looked at his coach and questioned his decision on scheme tells me 2 things, 1 the parents have been questioning the coach in front of and to the player(and that is cancer to a team), and 2 the parents have led the young man to believe that he has a right to question his coaches knowledge of football.  Now theres nothing wrong with a player saying "hey coach, why don't we run this stunt or try this against what they are doing" or during a game saying "they are blocking us this way, if we do this we could get some penetration" , Coach Colley would come to us JR and SR linemen and say "what do you guys think will work or what do you want to run?"  but to openly say "coach, your scheme is wrong, we should change" is over the line.

Im an Xs and Os guy, what scheme did Abingdon run?

Red, I will answer you soon.  Spent all day in the woods yesterday and heading out of town for the day today.  Cliffs notes though....the kid I am speaking of would NEVER cross the line when it comes to respecting the coaches, no matter how bad they are.  I may have misled you when I said he begged them....I am sure he just made suggestions.  He's not the kind of kid to be disrespectful.  Probably one of the best natured kids on the entire team.  I know he's one of my favorites.  He's not a cancer, he's the cure.  AHS typically runs a 5-0 D.  I hate it...with the personnel they have.  When you play against a running team (such as Wagner) you don't need a rover. You need a 3rd linebacker. Actually, not just against Marion.  They have run the 5-0 for years...and look whats happened.  Definition of insanity....do the same thing over and over and expect different results.  Ugh. More later.

I look forward t it, and good hunting!

You've already won me over in part, I hate basing out of the 50 defense. Every time a team goes to a 4 wide set you have to change fronts to properly cover them and play sound defense, unless of course you have superior athletes/talent. It can be done but there are better options. Base out of a 3 or 4 man front.    So they are running a 5-2?  When a team is in a 4 wide set, lets say 2x2, how do they cover the slot WRs?