Battle

battlechick

Matney will be back (was cleared just before the Union game last week from what I was told) and I'd say Harlow will be back considering that he was in full pads the whole game last week after his injury (though if he's back, I don't know if he'll be 100% or not). Obviously the Blaylock boys are done for the season. I don't know about anyone else at the moment.

I believe GC will have RB Herron back. The kid was averaging over 9 yards a rush, and over 40 yards a punt return before he was injured. Not sure if he will be at 100%.

GC will still have 3-4 starters out, but all teams do at this time of the year. You just got to dance with what you bring.

As a GC fan, this rematch scares me. It is easy to see the GC kids being a little over confident.

This will be a good measuring stick for the Battle coaches. Will they be able to design a defensive game plan to stop the GC rushing attack that honestly they could not even slow down the last time these two teams played?

Well, that is not good about the Herron kid. I was told that he will play, but he does still have a slight limp. I guess it would make sense to keep him out this week, and just hope for the best.

Looks like a 60% chance of rain at kickoff. I would HOPE that a wet field would favor GC. Who knows?

It's supposed to rain most of the evening.     Game temperatures will be in the 40's.

Cold, wet and muddy doesn't do any good for Herron's injury so I'm betting they hold him out tonight.    

I believe Battle will have 3-4 kids back which still leaves them without 4 or 5.    

Here are the truths.....   Battle has a hard time stopping the run.   Gate City's backs have shown to be fumble prone although not lately.

I think Battle can score enough to win this game....but IMHO will need a little help in the turnover department.    Hoping the Devils are looking past Thanksgiving and are in the Christmas kind of mood tonight.   We'll take all of the gifts they want to throw at us.

Yep. Cold, wet, and muddy will not help the ball carriers. Neither will having a cast on an arm. But, both teams will have to deal with the conditions.

I think turnovers again will be key.

I also don't expect GC to have a ton of trouble moving the ball on the ground. If we can hold on to the ball, I think we win by a couple of touchdowns. I also think we can throw the ball on Battle if needed. The weather may influence that however.

Looking into the crystal ball (OK, just making this up), I see Battle running back a couple of kicks to keep this game close. I also see GC missing at least two extra points. I also see GC giving up at least one long TD pass when a defender falls in the mud.

If GC has 0 turnovers, I'm guessing  GC 33 Battle 20.

If GC has 2 turnovers, I'm guessing GC 19 Battle 14.

If GC has 3+ turnovers, I'm guessing Battle 28 GC 12.

BTW, congratulations to the volleyball teams at GC and Battle for both making the Final Four in Richmond next week. I thought GC would make it there next year (they have no seniors on the team), but didn't think they would get this far this year.

Battle fell behind quickly and GC totally dominated the game.

Halftime score was GC 49-6.

GC's first team offense played one uninspired series during the second half. GC's first team defense played the entire second half, but played a very "vanilla", base defense. 

Would have really liked to have seen Battle play their second team defense when GC played their second team offense. Give all the kids a chance to play. That helps build your team. Give those young kids a few minutes of game time. Keep them interested.