Buzz Williams new VT Mens Basketball coach

Ryan4VT

Much better than I thought VT would do.

But not inexplicable. I think the breakup of the Big East would justify a seemingly lateral move at best. The ACC is an elite conference, which Marquette doesn't have. He had a rough season, and people were displeased. The expectations in Blacksburg are virtually 0.

Well done, VT.

Ha, I think this is borderline inexplicable.  VT basketball was moribund at very best, maybe even dead.  It would have taken me a lot to believe that a rock star coach like Buzz Williams would even consider the job, much less take it.  This immediately injects life (back?) into the program, and creates an excitement that I haven't seen since those fun(ish) Seth days.  Williams built some tough teams at Marquette; I can't wait to see what he's able to accomplish at VT.  

I'm beside myself with excitement right now.  LET'S GOOOO

Ha, I think this is borderline inexplicable. VT basketball was moribund at very best, maybe even dead. It would have taken me a lot to believe that a rock star coach like Buzz Williams would even consider the job, much less take it. This immediately injects life (back?) into the program, and creates an excitement that I haven't seen since those fun(ish) Seth days. Williams built some tough teams at Marquette; I can't wait to see what he's able to accomplish at VT.

I'm beside myself with excitement right now. LET'S GOOOO

HOKIES!!!!!

The biggest thing I like about this is that we didn't wait. Whit realized that JJ wasn't gonna cut it, fired him immediately, and brought in a big name coach while the post season is till in play. This gives Buzz an ENTIRE offseason to recruit and work with the team. I love this move more every day.

This is the best coaching hire in VT athletic history in-terms of landing a coach many, including myself, viewed as out of their league. It bodes well for the post-Beamer era hire coming in the next few years. People say the hire was a home run, but I say it was a grand slam.

This makes VT basketball instantly credible.  He still has to do the work and build the program but VT basketball can now get into virtually any living room in the country during recruiting.  According to some media outlets, Buzz has been concerned about the direction of the Big LEast for quite some time and he has a friendship with VT's new athletics director.  This was about self preservation.  The isolated, non-football schools in the north and northeast are going to be left out in the cold once conference realignment is finished.

He might need to. He's already run off Trevor Thompson, and there's 0.0% chance that VT's going to take that juvenile delinquent who's spent the last 18 months suspended.

Agreed.