Northwestern Football Players Allowed to Unionize

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10677763/northwestern-wildcats-football-players-win-bid-unionize

The ruling is in from NLRB and the Northwestern Wildcats football team has been permitted the right to unionize, the logic being that the athletes play football in exchange for an athletic scholarship, making them employees of the University. The board also determined that the athletes on the team were "athletes first" and "students second", because of the amount of time spent participating in their sport.

It's hard to tell what kind of far-reaching impact this will have on the world of college sports, but one way or another it could be a major game-changer for the NCAA. 

Thoughts?

This was a comment made on al.com that makes sense to me.

Here is the points I always come back to and we talked about this for three hours on the radio show today. College football players feel they aren't compensated nearly enough for what they do, based on the revenue of their programs. I would ask how many people feel like they are undervalued or don't get paid enough? I would say most. Second, these players, in my opinion aren't being exploited by putting them on TV and making millions for schools and conferences. The schools are marketing these kids for future employment. The exposure these kids get from being on TV can only help their future prospects. The argument before everyone and their grandmothers was on TV on Saturdays was recruits wanted to win, be on TV and get to the next level. Now that they are on TV, it's not good enough anymore. Like I said earlier, pandora's box.

Where will it end?

I know I would sure hate to receive a W2 for 60k+ at the end of each year if I was those Northwestern players if they do unionize.  Of course, if they are getting paid to play, they are no longer amateurs, and therefore wont be Big Ten members, and eligible to compete in the NCAA forcing them to only play other unionized schools. 

If this ruling stands it will be a HUGE mess for college athletics.

Imo as long as scholarship players are receiving their tuition, room, board, books, etc paid for them then what is there to complain about?  I went to UVA-W so I have no idea what it costs to go to a larger school like VT but I imagine its a considerable sum. Imo they are compensated very fairly. 

If schools were to give their athletes a small amount of money monthly for extra expenses/spending money I wouldn't have a problem with that, maybe a few hundred dollars a month.

When college kids start getting paid to play, on top of getting a FREE EDUCATION, that's when college athletics will be dead to me, just like baseball is until they let Pete in the HoF...

• 4 months later...

What a bunch of bullshit...

Give 'em a W-2 and a letter that informs these guys that for the past years they were "employees" of the university, they owe back taxes and union dues.  "Contact you tax professional", that'll sober 'em up real quick.