NFL Draft

redtiger

I usually don't get too excited about the draft but this year I am VERY excited(Have been for well over a month), anyone else excited for the draft?

I must have drawn up 15 different draft projections for Dallas

GO COWBOYS!!!

Just another year that Dallas doesn't try to pick up a good qb and instead grabs ANOTHER wr or rb. In all seriousness though, I am a bit curious about where some college players will land. I'll watch it until I don't recognize anyone's names, lol.

haha   I dont really think there are that many clear cut top guys, 2 WRs, 2 OTs, and a LB. from there it seems like everyone is close for a couple of rounds. Its gonna be interesting. Dallas needs to draft a QB, next year. This year OL and DL should be the focus.

The way the NFL game is played, RB is irrelevant.  Save money and do it by committee with less expensive players.  In order to win in this league, you have to have stars at QB and WR!  I am not on the bandwagon that believes Dallas can't win with Tony Romo.  It's not his fault the defense can't get out of its own way. Dallas allowed 3rd down conversions at a 44% clip, the league average was 35%.  They allowed 4th down conversions at a 50% clip last season.  They also allowed 63 more first downs than they gained.  That speaks volumes given they finished in the top 5 in the league in first down efficiency as a team offensively.  

They need help on deffense immediately!

Dallas gave up 27 points per game(7th worst in the league), if they can get that number down to around 22-23(top half of the league) I think they are a 10-6 to 12-4 kinda team. Romo and the Offense can score, they just gave up too many points last season, get some pass rush and I think most of the defensive issues disappear.

Dallas really needs to focus on DEFENSE this year.....especially after the guys they let go. The offense is ok (could be better for sure) but defense is horrible and it'll be worse this year if they don't do something. I've like Romo since he started, but he's just not getting it done when it really counts. If anything, Dallas needs to draft a good qb who can back Romo up and learn from him (and even compete with him....taking Romo's place if he's good enough). Seems like the only backups Dallas gets are whatever qb's are available when they need someone (mostly guys near retirement or guys no one else wants). But this year defense needs to be the main focus as well as the OL and DL.

I think Dallas tries to pick up a DE, OG, and a WR in the 1st 3 rounds. From there a RB, DB and several project DTs. Now exactly how they go about that and what order they do it in idk. Me personally I would take either Anthony Barr or Zach Martin in the 1st round and just see how everything falls from there. 

If Aaron Murray is there when they pick in the 4th I hope they TAKE HIM!!!  Kid can play and could be the QB of the future. I do have a problem with taking a QB high right now because I really think Romo has several good years ahead of him and I dont want to develop a rookie just in time for him to become a FA when he finally gets on the field, next year would give a QB 2 years to develop. I think Dallas has high hopes for Weedon, I thought he looked good coming out of college, he did suck it up last year in Cleveland but Dallas got him cheap and maybe they can do something with him.

Something I really don't understand is why Manziel is ranked so much higher than Murray, other than the "wow" factor Manziel has I just don't see it. All that wow stuff will get him broken in half in the NFL. Hes a 3rd rounder in my book. 

The main reason Dallas even got Weedon is because Romo was still recovering from surgery (or whatever he had) and they needed someone to play qb for preseason workouts/camps. But I hope they at least give him a chance in the preseason games or the regular season.

This is a pretty good class for defense.  Players like Timmy Jernigan, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, that nose tackle from Pitt (what's his name?), etc. will be sitting right there for the Cowboys to take at 16.  I think those guys will be solid NFL players, as well as a couple others.  There's of course been buzz that Dallas will trade up to take Manziel, which I wouldn't put past them.  It would be pretty consistent with Jerry Jones' recent history of going for the flashy headline rather than doing what's best for his team.  

I've been following the Rams since moving here to St. Louis a couple years ago, and they've also got interesting needs to fill, and a bunch of picks to do it with.  They got the 2nd pick from Washington in the RGIII deal a couple years ago, and should probably use it on an OT, assuming Jadaveon isn't still there.  Other than that, the Rams really need to expand their WR corps, and do something about their secondary.  Oh, and Sam Bradford is still the QB for what that's worth.  

I always get excited for the draft, partly because it could be a reset button for the trajectory of franchises, partly because of VT players, and partly because I like thinking through the draft/trade strategies always in play.  I'll certainly be watching.  

I could see St Louis taking a WR with their first 1st and a OL with their second 1st. Moving down with that 1st pick could be a great move for them, would net several good picks(easily a lower 1st, a 2nd and a 4th or maybe a future pick). Terrible move by the Skins imo, RGIII is not worth what they gave up for him.

I really don't think Jones has done that bad, atleast not in the past few years; the move up for Claiborne hasn't been fruitful but i'm hoping he just needs some time. Smith and Fredrick are both stud linemen and will be the heart of the Dallas OL for the next decade. With the Fredrick trade down came T. Williams, he shows a lot of promise.  Bryant has been a bit of a knucklehead but he had it hard coming up and he is maturing, that deal has really paid off, hes a top 5 WR. Escobar wasn't on the field much last year but when he was he showed a lot of promise(incredible athleticism). Not too bad.  

Im not big on Jernigan, in every highlight film i see of him hes making tackles with his hands, arms extended. Never his chest. He looks a little slow and at the NFL level i'm afraid that will be a step too slow and he will miss those tackles. Donald(Pitt DT) is always in the backfield but he is short and a little light. I honestly think Dallas has enough 3 tech DTs on the roster, they don't have any rush DEs.

For me its Barr, then Z Martin, and if those two are gone trade down in the 1st.

Something I really don't understand is why Manziel is ranked so much higher than Murray, other than the "wow" factor Manziel has I just don't see it. All that wow stuff will get him broken in half in the NFL. Hes a 3rd rounder in my book. 

please, please don't quit your day job.

please, please don't quit your day job.

I would bet a hefty sum of money that Manziel doesn't make one single Pro Bowl.  And that's after half the league's starting QBs decline to be in it.

A QB with (1) questionable work ethic, (2) less-than-elite speed, (3) small statute, and (4) good-but-not-great-or-elite accuracy?  Easy call.

I would bet a hefty sum of money that Manziel doesn't make one single Pro Bowl.  And that's after half the league's starting QBs decline to be in it.

A QB with (1) questionable work ethic, (2) less-than-elite speed, (3) small statute, and (4) good-but-not-great-or-elite accuracy?  Easy call.

I completely agree.  He also has no regard for his own self preservation, so he will be broken in half by about the end of year two.  

And now the St. Louis media are saying that the Rams may pick him up.  I would instantly give up on this team if that happened.  

When I watch Murray I see Brees, nothing that really jumps out at you but a good blend of skills and he executes the offense.  Now idk if he will develop to that level but that's the player I see. When I watch Manziel I see Mike Vick, only lighter and not nearly as fast. Vick was a special player but not a great NFL QB. I see Manziel being much of the same. He will be on Sportscenters Top 10 2-3 times a season, he will sell a lot of jerseys and will cause a lot of "oohhs and aawws" but ultimately I don't think he will amount to much. 

I would take Bridgewater, Bortles, Murray then Manziel.

I completely agree. He also has no regard for his own self preservation, so he will be broken in half by about the end of year two.

And now the St. Louis media are saying that the Rams may pick him up. I would instantly give up on this team if that happened.

As a lifetime Rams fan, I'm thinking maybe Bradford and manziel can combine to make it an entire season, but I doubt it

As a lifetime Rams fan, I'm thinking maybe Bradford and manziel can combine to make it an entire season, but I doubt it

2 QB system!  Bradford could run the pro style offense and Manziel could run the trick play/spread/zone read/Wildcat offense!

If taken by the right organization, I can see a couple of very good pro QB's in this draft, none of which include the guys getting all of the publicity!  Manziel, Bridgewater and Bortles will not make the transition in my opinion.  In Manziel, I see a smaller Akili Smith.  No QB in NFL history has succeeded with legs as small as Bridgewater.  I know that may sound petty but I saw him up close and in person three times in the past two seasons.  I was blown away at how small his legs were.  Bortles is this years Blayne Gabbert, Christian Ponder or Brady Quinn.

Aaron Murray could be a very good NFL QB given the right system and organization.  I can see New Orleans or Dallas picking him up in the 3rd round or so.  I also look at Derek Carr and see a lot of Aaron Rogers.  He is motivated, hungry and given absolutely no credit by the mainstream media.  I don't think Mettenburger or Logan Thomas have the tools to survive in the NFL.  Thomas could make the league at TE, where he should have been the past 4 years.

But, its all speculation at this point.  We always get pleasant surprises and unmitigated busts.  It's what makes the NFL draft so unique. 

The Rams have bigger problems than at QB, I hope they draft or trade for oline and defense instead of gambling on Johnny Football seriously. Being able to stop somebody and protecting a fragile QB is the recipe for success in St Louis

EXACTLY!!  To listen to sports radio here in St. Louis, or read the newspapers, you would come to the conclusion that no one here is thinking reasonably.  Let's see what Bradford can do when he stays upright for a season, has the same offensive coordinator for more than one season, and has actual talent around him.   

If taken by the right organization, I can see a couple of very good pro QB's in this draft, none of which include the guys getting all of the publicity!  Manziel, Bridgewater and Bortles will not make the transition in my opinion.  In Manziel, I see a smaller Akili Smith.  No QB in NFL history has succeeded with legs as small as Bridgewater.  I know that may sound petty but I saw him up close and in person three times in the past two seasons.  I was blown away at how small his legs were.  Bortles is this years Blayne Gabbert, Christian Ponder or Brady Quinn.

Aaron Murray could be a very good NFL QB given the right system and organization.  I can see New Orleans or Dallas picking him up in the 3rd round or so.  I also look at Derek Carr and see a lot of Aaron Rogers.  He is motivated, hungry and given absolutely no credit by the mainstream media.  I don't think Mettenburger or Logan Thomas have the tools to survive in the NFL.  Thomas could make the league at TE, where he should have been the past 4 years.

But, its all speculation at this point.  We always get pleasant surprises and unmitigated busts.  It's what makes the NFL draft so unique. 

Good post.  I think Aaron Murray has the chance to be the "how did we overlook this guy?!" player in a few years, kinda like Russell Wilson.  

And Logan Thomas is gonna make a helluva tight end for the Patriots.  

Good post.  I think Aaron Murray has the chance to be the "how did we overlook this guy?!" player in a few years, kinda like Russell Wilson.  

And Logan Thomas is gonna make a helluva tight end for the Patriots.  

Lets just hope he doesn't struggle with everyday life the way the past few TE the Patriots have had!