New six-class playoff plan approved by TSSAA

trublue

Knoxville News Sentinel ‎

32 largest schools will be in 6A, receive playoff

Knoxville News Sentinel Jesse Smithey
2:53 PM, Aug 11, 2014

4 hours ago

excerpt:

Hermitage — Bernard Childress didn't wear much of a poker face Monday following the TSSAA Board of Control meeting that addressed the state's future football playoff plan.

The executive director showed his elation just a handful of minutes after the board approved unanimously, 9-0, a switch to the proposed new six-classification football playoff plan that will start in 2015.

The Z Plan, the state's first six-class plan which began in 2009, will be no longer. And gone with it will be the season-long confusion over playoff qualifications and quadrants, as well as scheduling difficulties for the state's elite teams. Since regular-season win totals are used in the current system to determine wildcard playoff teams, programs like Fulton, Maryville and Alcoa aren't popular scheduling calls to make.

"This (current) system has been challenging from Day 1," said Childress. "We spend so much time just trying to make sure we get it right. "Are we excited that we aren't going to be using it anymore? I think you can tell by the smile on my face that we'll be very excited the last time we have to set classifications with this current system."

For rest of article :

http://www.knoxnews.com/sports/prepextra/new-sixclass-playoff-plan-approved-by-tssaa-board-of-control_58467953

‎

‎

I guess IF districts are formed strictly along Group lines (no mixed districts) I can see how it would be beneficial. A 7 team 6A district would provide 6 guaranteed games along with top teams from 5A and 4A. It would make filling out a schedule easier