Flags at Gate City

V-Cats

Hopefully a GC fan can answer this for me. What is the meaning behind the different colored flags on the visitor's side at Legion Field? I was thinking that each one represented a different Conf40 team, but I wasn't sure

Many from Lee over the years have gone elsewhere, Union, GC, Cove, Appy/PV (back in those days), TW instead of Lee...etc.  Got some coaches out there doing well too.  Maybe if the program continues on the upward swing it will draw more kids to stay with Lee rather than want to play elsewhere. 

I couldn't resist.... I had to sign up to post because this topic is comical.  Me and my husband were born and raised in Scott County, moved to Hawkins County because we both work in TN and found a nice lot for sale, I can literally throw a rock and hit Scott County so when our daughter became school age, we knew she would attend Weber City Elementary and be able to attend the after school program there.  Taking her to school and picking her up was out of the way but the education she recieved was well worth it.  So when her little Brother came along, obviously he followed suit.  At no time did taking them to Gate City for Sports enter our minds, we weren't Gate City Alum.   Our daughter was lucky enough to be on two state championship Volleyball teams  Our son is a Jr and a member of the National Honor Society, and happens to play football as well.  He went to elementary school with all but 2 of the kids from TN.......... so that would mean the total transfers of Tennessee Players would total TWO.   

Just my opinion, but I think it's up to the family on where the kids go to school. Nothing illegal about it so what's the problem? I graduated from GC and have a 2 month old daughter. Good Lord willing, she'll be a Lady Devil one day. Kids have left GC to attend other schools. Had a basketball player do it just this year and I wish him the best.

Hey guys I respect Gate City and pull for them on every game except with Lee. I played football at Lee in early 90s before transferring to Bell county, KY where my parents paid tuition so I could play ball there. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but people who pay property taxes in Scott County pays a good portion of the money that is required to keep gate city open. If so does out of county or out of state kids pay a tuition? If not I bet that a lot of tax payers wouldn't agree paying for kids not from the county to go to school and not paying ( not everyone are sports fans). There are a way to circumvent the system, which is a fraudulent action, get a P.O. box in the county.

this is exactly what I was told when I enrolled my daughter at Weber City by the Principal.  The tuition had stopped just a couple of years prior.  They loved getting Tennessee students because they recieved money from the state of Virginia for them, who in turn worked with the state of TN for reimbursement of somesort.   States know that students who live on the borders may be closer to the school in the opposite state - Actually the case for us.   States swap money for various reasons.  Even if Gate City didn't recieve a dime for my children, I can assure you, no Scott County tax payer has ever bought a lunch, pencil, piece of paper, entry to an event, or paid for transportation.  Unless a transfer student is on some form of welfare, which isn't logical, can't imagine a scenerio where Scott county tax payer is impacted.  and oddly!! you never hear Scott county people complaining about Tennessee Students or students from another VA county, it's the tax payers in other counties that seem to mind.

No one has to pay out of state tuition to go to GC. However, contrary to what most people think, a majority of the students crossing the state line come to Scott County schools for academics, not athletics. Most enroll their kids at Weber City or Yuma when they start elementary school. I'm not saying that they leave Kingsport or Hawkins Co. because their system is bad or anything. The most common reasons is size of the school and student to teacher ratio. GC is a town of roughly 2000 people but is nearing 700 in the high school and normally has near 3000-4000 fans at home football games. 

The facts are the Gate City the town has been dying for a long time. There's very little in town to keep it's residents there so they end up moving to Kingsport for work. However, once they have children they take the very short trip (Heck we've played our home baseball games there for a decade) and bring them back to Gate City since they know the system and like it. Like Quincy said, it's not illegal so until someone really complains about the taxes where's the problem? 

just curious, what taxes would they complain about? .   Heck, even ETSU considers Scott County as in state ... If a business is built within so many miles of a state line, it gets the sales tax benefit of the state with the cheapest tax so it can compete.   Quid Pro Quo.  So it's all good!

For Lee, Wise, and Scott Co, local taxes play a very small role in funding education. Prior to the power plant in St. Paul coming online, Wise Co was the second poorest county in Virginia in terms of state funding. The Commonwealth of Virginia has a very convoluted formula to determine a locality's ability to fund their education.

The list of counties and their Composite Index can be found here: http://www.doe.virginia.gov/school_finance/budget/compositeindex_local_abilitypay/2014-2016/composite_index.pdf 

The number in the last column is essentially the percentage that the local government must pay to fund education. The state and feds pay the rest. So, if the number is .2124, then the locality comes up with 21% of the funds and the state does the other 79%.

The only way that out of state kids would hurt the county would be in a scenario where the out of state kid(s) forced the county to hire an extra teacher due to enrollment. For instance, if the maximum number of students a 2nd grade teacher can have is 25, and there are 50 kids in 2nd grade at the school then this would require two 2nd grade teachers. If a parent from Sullivan Co enrolled their twin boys in 2nd grade at the school then it would force the school to hire an additional teacher. The state aid received would be approximately $14,000, but the teacher's salary and benefits would be in excess of $50,000. So, there would be an additional burden on the county.

I know this is rare and it USUALLY helps the county to get out of district children, but I do know of a least one instance in Wise Co a few years back where a school refused to enroll a family's out of district children because it would have forced them to hire a teacher.

With all that being said. Union will be happy to take anyone's football players......er uh....I mean students if they don't have a good school nearby. :)