Union vs Gate City

trumpet1988

GC just further cemented why they, Richlands and Union are the cream of the crop in SWVA football. Tradition, coaching and fans goes a long way to inspire these young men out on the field. GC will probably win their next 5 games, make the playoffs and make the coach who draws them in the 1st round very nervous. Hunter Collier is a stud and will continue to give teams fit! TACKLE, TACKLE, TACKLE! We missed a lot them tonight and that can come back to haunt us (Union) if we're not careful. On the other hand, Union didn't crack after being down by 2 tds and found a way to win and which will be crucial come playoff time. They are battle tested and now get a well deserved week off.

As much as we have had to criticize Union's lack of preparation for the first 2.75 quarters, there's a lot of good to say about the game.

Gate City came to play. Don't anyone think for one second that just because Gate City is a little down from last year and is winless that they are a pushover. I think if GC and Richlands were to play again that it's a much different ball game. I don't think GC wins it but it comes down to a couple of plays like last night did. Most fellow Union supporters were expecting a blowout. I had to keep telling them that 0-4 doesn't do them justice. Neither does 0-5.

I'm proud of Union for waking up late in the 3rd quarter. Offense wasn't too bad last night. Decent. Defense made a lot of mistakes. Missed a ton of tackles. I think the first drive had 2 offsides penalties that kept GC's offense alive. Some of that may have come from overlooking GC a bit.

Much needed week off. Get ready for some revenge minded Generals after this week. Good chance of finishing 10-0 if they can execute. Going to have to earn this.

Any stats from this game?

Per BHC...

First Downs: GC 18, U 22; Rushes-Yards: GC 33-176, U 44-269; Passing Yards: GC 210, U 111; Comp.-Att.-Int.: GC 16-22-1, U 10-16-0; Fumbles-Lost: GC 0-0, U 0-0; Penalties-Yards: GC 9-95, U 4-30; Punts-Average: GC 1-33, U 1-35

The Gate City at Union game was another exciting & hard fought contest; I think the win was just as important to the Bears post season prospects as it would have been to the Devils. The Bears needed the test that the Devils provided; and they passed the test. If you can score 21 unanswered points against a tough opponent for a come back victory then you can successfully face many other challenges. I saw a level of confidence from the Bears that I had not until last night. Lots of things can happen between now and November but I'm convinced that Union not only has the talent & depth to go far, they also have the necessary desire & determination.