Union vs Gate City

trumpet1988

All I know is Union better be ready. If GC shoots themselves in the foot early then it could get ugly. Union is scoring an average of about 44 points a game.

If Union comes out flat and Gate City takes advantage then GC wins.

I think Union will just be too much for the Devils.

I really believe Gate City is a much better team than people give them credit. Are they as good as last year? No.

We are much better than last year and Bluefield is a very good team also. Abingdon has there best team in many years.

That being said.... Union is the best team in the West right now in my opinion. They are great in all phases of the game and are dealing with many injuries and still getting the job done.like I said after our game with them....#7 Gavin is the best all around player I have seen since Devon Johnson. I know that's a big assertion but its my opinion. The young man can do it all with size, strength, speed and plays very physical both ways.The scary thing about Union is......Gavin is just one of about six guys on that team that fits that mold. Very impressive to have that many weapons of that talent level.

I think Gate City makes it respectable but Union just has to many weapons. Union wins it pretty easy by the end of the third quarter if not sooner.

Union-45

Gate City-21

I really believe Gate City is a much better team than people give them credit. Are they as good as last year? No.

We are much better than last year and Bluefield is a very good team also. Abingdon has there best team in many years.

That being said.... Union is the best team in the West right now in my opinion. They are great in all phases of the game and are dealing with many injuries and still getting the job done.like I said after our game with them....#7 Gavin is the best all around player I have seen since Devon Johnson. I know that's a big assertion but its my opinion. The young man can do it all with size, strength, speed and plays very physical both ways.The scary thing about Union is......Gavin is just one of about six guys on that team that fits that mold. Very impressive to have that many weapons of that talent level.

I think Gate City makes it respectable but Union just has to many weapons. Union wins it pretty easy by the end of the third quarter if not sooner.

Union-45

Gate City-21

The scary part is, I don't believe Gavin is Union's best player. Noaks (#32) may be the best all around player the Bears have. That is taking away nothing from Gavin, Mitchell, Barnett, or any of the linemen, but Noaks brings that electricity that is incredible. Gavin, when healthy, is about as good as any player around here. Him, Noaks, Barnett, Mitchell are all about the same talent range, maybe a couple slightly ahead of the others, but for one team to have four legit receiving options (and two pretty good RBs and a good QB that can run as well as throw) is something not many schools can defend. Union can out-athlete the smaller, less talented schools just by showing up.

But NOT GC. GC will give Union everything they have, they are well-coached and talented. I think GC will give Union a very tough game.

Like Razor,  I too believe that GC may be better than their record shows.  They have played a tough schedule........especially for a team that lost what it did from last year,  and the tough schedule continues this week.  I have a lot of respect for both of these great programs,  but Union is just too good this year.  They are so well balanced, tough, and well coached and it will take a special team to beat them.

Gate City will continue to grow and get better because of the tough schedule and will be a tough out by the end of the season and should be a battle tested team and a team to look out for next year,   but this year is Union time !

35 to 14  Union

I think the rain will equalize these 2 teams tonight. Gate city may have a lot better chance tonight, I think it will be a closer game than a lot may think. I would have rather us have played Union tonight instead of 2 weeks from now. Lol

SWV football

Bears’ Turner: ‘Throw the records out’ when taking on Blue Devils George Thwaites • Today at 12:59 PM

great state

Union should win but I am worried about a couple of things.

Gate City is a hungry 0-4 team. You have to assume that they will come to play.

This is also the point in the season where Union starts to play as flat as the land is in Kansas.

Like the gym speech scene in Remember the Titans.

"We ain't won nothing. "

Better be ready.

Union won as many games in the second half of last season as they did the first half, they went 4-1 in both five game segments. Union has more athletes and is more talented. No reason for this to be a game in the fourth quarter. The biggest difference between Union fans and PV - Appalachia fans is seen throughout this thread. Could you imagine an 0-4 GC team coming to Riggs to play an Appalachia team that is averaging over 40 points a game and that is undefeated and the fan base being scared? If Phil Robbins had this team, he would have made enough comments in the paper by now to tell you just how good they were and the players would go out and prove him right.

Union won as many games in the second half of last season as they did the first half, they went 4-1 in both five game segments. Union has more athletes and is more talented. No reason for this to be a game in the fourth quarter. The biggest difference between Union fans and PV - Appalachia fans is seen throughout this thread. Could you imagine an 0-4 GC team coming to Riggs to play an Appalachia team that is averaging over 40 points a game and that is undefeated and the fan base being scared? If Phil Robbins had this team, he would have made enough comments in the paper by now to tell you just how good they were and the players would go out and prove him right.

The game against GC last year was a culmination of MANY factors. GC was a great team. Union lost a lineman due to injury before the game, then had 3 more hurt during the game. Also had starting RB and WR back for the first game since Clintwood. They simply collapsed.

This year Union is healthy and GC is not the team they were last year, BUT still a very talented team in spite of their record. The concern for this game is the same for any game. Come unprepared or over confident to a game against a good opponent(that you are SUPPOSED to beat) and things may not go your way (Central 2011, Stuarts Draft 2011 and 2012, GC 2013, Clintwood 2013 to name a few).

And Phil Robbins was NOTHING without Barry Jones. PV's record after Jones left proves that. And comments in the paper or a forum by a coach or fan mean nothing. Teenage boys that play on the field determine the game.

All this thread has proved that Union fans are scared to death of Gate City. Union has enough talent to beat GC by two touchdowns or more, expecting anything else is stupid.

And THIS game is why Union fans were concerned. Seen it too many times before. Union didn't come to play tonight and Gate City did. Simple as that.

And to any Gate City fans....please keep us updated on Mr McClung. Looked like he was holding his back or hip. Couldn't tell. FINE young athlete there, going to make some noise the next two years. Hope he's OK.