School District History

redtiger

Group II...  AA?

Not exactly. Prior to the 1970 reclassification, high school sports in Virginia was organized in a manner similar to college football. The largest schools (or at least those who were committed to the most stringent competitive standards) were considered to be Group I. There were basically about seven districts which competed at this level, and the Southwest District happened to be one of them. Enrollment was not the most obvious criterion for inclusion at this level, although schools from the more populous areas of the Commonwealth tended to be most successful.

Beyond that there were other Groups that competed based on a different set of competitive guidelines. Some (like Group II A) were actually more regional in terms of geographic coverage. But they functioned a bit like Division II or the NAIA as compared to NCAA Division I.

Whereas Class AAA did correspond pretty closely to Group I under the provisions of the 1970 realignment (and those championships are still recorded by the VHSL in that manner), there does not appear to be any similar logical relationship to Classes AA and A.

Probably not a great explanation because I honestly don't have a firm understanding of the old system myself. And there is quite a bit of nuance involved (such as the fact that the SWD included several -- but maybe not all -- of the members of old District VII). But hopefully this sheds a little light on the subject.

Divisional alignment from 1986 onward is also a bit complicated because those determinations were made on a regional basis. For example, in Class AA Region IV was literally split in half every two years based on enrollment. The larger 18 or so schools were classified Division 4 while the smaller ones were Division 3. Some schools who were close to the median actually had the potential to bounce back and forth between Divisions until the implementation of the current system.

Not at all positive, but Virginia High may have had that type of classification experience as opposed to Richlands, which started out solidly within Division 4 and then steadily declined enrollment-wise into Division 3.

Good luck on flatwoods, I am highly curious on that one seeing as how it's in my backyard

There's not really much anything on Flatwoods on this site, but I like reading up on some of the older Lee Co. teams, including some bits on the first football teams in Lee, championship teams, pics, and so forth.

http://leecountylegend.net/home.html

There's not really much anything on Flatwoods on this site, but I like reading up on some of the older Lee Co. teams, including some bits on the first football teams in Lee, championship teams, pics, and so forth.

http://leecountylegend.net/home.html

did I miss something or is the '72 walker team absence from this site. T.D. has talked many times in practice about this.

I knew Haysi was in the LPD in the '60s because they won a district title in basketball. Not sure how that worked with football. They did have a team at that time though. Didn't realize there was a district between LPD and BDD though.

Ervinton was LPD until the closing of the smaller schools in Lee Co, then to keep the Cumberland well stocked and to move EHS into a more competitive district they went to the CD.

I know Honaker was Hogo. I think they started in the Hogo, then CVD, then BDD. 

The CVD was dismantled around the time Lebanon moved up to AA the first time(I think). Then the majority formed the BDD(idk why they didnt keep the name other than the fact that a lot of the schools arent in the Clinch Valley), some went to the Cumberland. 

Lebanon has moved around A LOT - A/AA -  SWD, Hogo, CVD, CMD, MD and I have only a rough idea on what order those are in and I think they were in the Hogo twice.

Thanks for the info RichlandsAlum. I actually understand the old divisional setup but the original system is a complete mystery to me. From what I understand geography played a huge part in what district and group schools were placed in 

The 1970 realignment was a huge step forward in a lot of ways. For one, it gave every single school a clear path to a potential state championship whereas no fully integrated system existed before. I just finished reading Ron Bales' book about his coaching days in Chilhowie and he does a good job of making that point.

The system from 1970 to 1985 had some shortcomings. For one, it was uber competitive. Originally -- at least in Region IV at the Group AA level -- playoff eligibility was limited exclusively to district champions. And I think that a one-loss Virginia High team missed the playoffs. Even after the regional playoffs were expanded to include the SWD and New River runners-up, it was still pretty common for 8-2 teams to sit at home.

But personally, I kind of liked that setup. (Even though Richlands only qualified for the playoffs once and came close one other time during that era.)

There were several one loss teams that didn't make the playoffs, not just Va High. In 1984 The SWD was loaded. Tazewell was 9-1(lost to GC 7-2), I think Abingdon and Graham both were 9-1, and Gate City was 8-2 (lost to Graham and Abingdon). VaHigh was pretty good too. A lot of those years from 1970 to 1986 had some good teams who didn't get in the playoffs. I may be wrong, but I think in 1970 Richlands may have been 10-0 or 9-1. I would have to do a ton of digging to find a lot of my old paperwork.

ok, so according the hogoheegee website, from 1978-88 Honaker was in the hogoheegee district before they left for the black diamond district in 1988, so what years was Honaker in the clinch valley district  and was there any other districts Honaker was in or is it just the three mention

so far here is Honaker's history of the districts they have been in

Clinch Valley: ?-?

Hogoheegee: 1978-1988

Black Diamond: 1988-2010  Group A Division 2

2011-current Group 1A

There were several one loss teams that didn't make the playoffs, not just Va High. In 1984 The SWD was loaded. Tazewell was 9-1(lost to GC 7-2), I think Abingdon and Graham both were 9-1, and Gate City was 8-2 (lost to Graham and Abingdon). VaHigh was pretty good too. A lot of those years from 1970 to 1986 had some good teams who didn't get in the playoffs. I may be wrong, but I think in 1970 Richlands may have been 10-0 or 9-1. I would have to do a ton of digging to find a lot of my old paperwork.

You're probably thinking of the 1975 Richlands team that started the season 8-0 but stayed home after losing the final two games against Gate City and Marion.  Richlands had losing seasons in 1970 and 1971 before winning the SWD in 1972 with a 9-1 regular season record (they lost to GC that year too, but apparently the Blue Devils either had two other losses or Richlands had a higher rating). 

Richlands came close again in 1983.  The Blues finished 7-3.  One of the losses came against Bluefield, WV and did not count against us in terms of playoff eligibility.  The other two losses were to Tazewell and Abingdon -- who represented the SWD in the playoffs that year.  Interestingly enough, Richlands did not play Gate City that year -- and I'm going to assume that the Blue Devils were the other district team that came close but stayed home.

The addition of Lebanon in 1980 was a major albatross for the SWD -- or more specifically the fact that members did not play every team in the district.  That created a real logjam at the top of the type Legend describes, with the 1984 season serving as a perfect example.  Tazewell actually finished 8-2.  Richlands also defeated Tazewell that season (which would turn out to be our only victory in the series during that particular decade).  So we kind of like to take "credit" for knocking the Bulldogs out of the playoffs on that occasion.  Otherwise there would have been a real mess with three 9-1 teams.