Honaker@Ridgeview

redtiger

This is a game ive been looking forward to all season. Honaker is the only traditional BDD rival that Rv could legitimately play and im glad the game was kept alive. 

It has been discussed in depth but here is the final, for 100% sure regardless of what you have read, the game is AT RIDGEVIEW. My understanding is Honaker wanted to balance their schedule at 5 home/5 away so it was moved to Ridgeview.

Honaker has a solid record but has stumbled against the two really good teams they faced and struggled with Hurley and TV. 

Ridgeview had a rocky start but is on a winning streak and just had their best performance of the season. Ridgeview has a strong rushing attack with Turner and Kendrick carrying the load. That is offset by the passing attack featuring Hensley and Artrip, but Stanley(FB) and Wagner(TE) are capable of making catches and run very well after the catch

I see the Wolfpack being too much for the Tigers but I really expect Honaker to put up a tough fight and give Ridgeview all they want.

Directions from Honaker

Get on 80 and stay on 80 all the way to Haysi's football field and keep going. A couple miles down the road you will go around a steep right hand curve(Haysi High is on the hill on the right), about a quarter mile past the curve turn LEFT across the bridge onto 83.  Follow 83 through Clinchco, the road follows the McClure river. It will seem like kind of a long way but keep going. After awhile you will start going uphill(3 lane road, passing lane is on the other side), you will go through 1 left hand curve and then one really steep right hand curve. At the top of the mountain turn RIGHT, onto RT 637, Rose Ridge Road. There is some road construction but it will be cleared up by the time you get there. The school is ahead on the left, you cant miss it. 

Directions from Richlands

Follow 460 to Vansant and turn LEFT on 83 across the bridge(If you make it to McDonalds you went too far). Continue on 83 over Airport Mountain and across Prater. 83 gets pretty curvy so be careful. Eventually the road starts going downhill and 83 comes to a T intersection(it comes up on you quick). Turn LEFT downhill(if you go uphill you went the wrong way) to stay on 83. Continue through the upper part of Haysi until,  turn LEFT at New Peoples Bank, Pizza Plus across the bridge(Fire Dept is on the left), take the next RIGHT to stay on 83 across the bridge. Follow 83 through Clinchco, the road follows the McClure river. It will seem like kind of a long way but keep going. After awhile you will start going uphill(3 lane road, passing lane is on the other side), you will go through 1 left hand curve and then one really steep right hand curve. At the top of the mountain turn RIGHT, onto 637 Rose Ridge Road. There is some road construction but it will be cleared up by the time you get there. The school is ahead on the left, you cant miss it. 

Most of the available parking is at the front of the school but its about 400 yards to the stadium entrance(park then go left around the school). You can also park behind the school, continue left around the school and take the gravel road on the left(large field), park on the right behind the stands or continue around past the stadium to the baseball and softball field(there will be people directing traffic). They try to hold the closest parking spots for people that have difficulty walking. From the entrance the visitor side is to the right of the field.

Not a lot of games this Friday, everyones more than welcome to come up to The Ridge

I really have no idea how this game is going to go. I've not seen Ridgeview this year so all I can go on is what I've read. Struggled with a tough early schedule and a WHOLE bunch of injuries. Know they have found their groove and winning. This Honaker team... I'm at a loss for words. Started out against a very very very easy schedule to put it nicely and was 5-0. Then came GW. Defense played pretty good all game keeping the Tigers in it, but the offense was non existing. The young Tigers offensive line got exposed that Friday night. Lost 21-3. Then comes J I Burton with thereach NFL sized offensive and defensive line and punch the young Tigers right in the mouth scoring 28 points in the 1st 14 minutes of the game. After that the defense gave up nothing, but again no offense for the young tigers. Then Brady Justice brought his Hurley rebels to Honaker and ran wild. Don't think the boys had there heads where they needed them that night. Finally pulled away from the rebels. Didn't go to the TV game because it was supposed to be a blow out. Well not with this young team they let the Panthers stick around until late in the 3rd and then got there heads out of there buts and played ball. So... I said all that to say this... I have no idea what's going to happen Friday. I've been waiting for this version of the Tigers to finally grow up a little have a good week of practice and come out with a little improvement. Better late than never right? If they do it may be a good game if not then it's a blow out. Ridgeview has hung it's hat on its defense a lot this year and if our stagnant offense shows up then it will end ugly.

My Prediction: RV 42 Hon 21

I'm no football guru just a fan so excuse my amateurish rambling but I was at the GW and Burton games and Honaker ran a few plays in a spread formation with the C QB RB and the remainder spread both way right and left. They seem to catch both GW and Burton by surprise and had some success with it mainly running the ball. Two questions Have other teams used this formation? Will RV be prepared for it?

I'm no football guru just a fan so excuse my amateurish rambling but I was at the GW and Burton games and Honaker ran a few plays in a spread formation with the C QB RB and the remainder spread both way right and left. They seem to catch both GW and Burton by surprise and had some success with it mainly running the ball. Two questions Have other teams used this formation? Will RV be prepared for it?

Covington brought that crap down here. Hope we never see Honaker run it again. They weren't very good at it.

Its nice to throw in every now and then when teams aren't prepared for it but theres only a handful of plays that can be ran from those type of formations. If the Defense sticks to their basics and align themselves properly then its no big deal. If they don't... well you get Coving/Honaker 2013.

it was interesting to me that Covington ran none of that stuff when Haysi played them lasts season, just their basic Singlewing plays.

Its nice to throw in every now and then when teams aren't prepared for it but theres only a handful of plays that can be ran from those type of formations. If the Defense sticks to their basics and align themselves properly then its no big deal. If they don't... well you get Coving/Honaker 2013.

it was interesting to me that Covington ran none of that stuff when Haysi played them lasts season, just their basic Singlewing plays.

US talking get about this should tell ya how bad Honakers offense is lol but yeah tiger your exactly right. They had one or two good plays against GW and got some momentum but then the defense catches on and shut it down. Burton seen that crap on film WAS READY and made them look really bad in shutting it down.

This is a big game for both schools even without looking at the carryover Honaker vs Haysi rilvery RV needs this win to ensure a playoff spot and to get out of the crosshairs of a top 4 ranked team in the 1st round. Honaker can possibly move up to #2 in points with a win and hosting the 1st 3 rounds of the playoffs is a big advantage

This is a big game for both schools even without looking at the carryover Honaker vs Haysi rilvery RV needs this win to ensure a playoff spot and to get out of the crosshairs of a top 4 ranked team in the 1st round. Honaker can possibly move up to #2 in points with a win and hosting the 1st 3 rounds of the playoffs is a big advantage

Wonder if weather will play a factor? Turnovers, slips and falls etc..

YEP, that is the same ole John Wayne Martin. To show you dudes just how old I am, I went to school with John Wayne. He lived just across the Smyth Co line in Washington County, but went to school in Chilhowie, where is mother taught school. Sort of the same thing that Washington Co Sheriff Fred Newman did. John Wayne was one of a kind in those good ole days. Yes, he coached at Castlewood, and later at Fort Chiswell. I bet he has umpired several thousand VHSL baseball and football games. If he is not in the VHSL HOF, then he should be.

Sorry, I got carried away with John Wayne. I have to go with Ridgeview in this one. Ridgeview has played a tough schedule, and is healthy now. They know that they HAVE to win this one, and Honaker can survive a lose, and still be in the playoffs.

Ridgeview by 1.

Rv looked like they were gonna blow Honaker out early then Honaker made some plays and Rv got a little conservative imo. Great game heading into the playoffs. Good win for the Wolfpack. Also the pass interference on 4th and long with just under 2:00 left was a bad call imo. The DB has a right to go after the ball...

Big shoutout to Honaker for scheduling Rv. Not many 1As will schedule a non-county 2A. Hopefully this will develop into a good series going forward.