Consolidated schools support

HaysiHigh1969

I know once upon a time there was at least talk of when consolidation happens in Taz Co that there would have to still be two.  East and West is what was said.  I know none of the current high schools could support the numbers that would come by combining all three.  Don't know if that was just a pipe dream or something they would still look at.

IF that were to ever happen, I think Graham and Richlands fans would still follow their east/west school but how would Tazewell people support it?  I know for me I Physically would be on the East side but still would have a tough time supporting either school since it isn't Tazewell.  What makes it even more difficult is that since my kids are home schooled there would be no attachment anymore.   How do residents of the Pocahontas region feel on supporting athletics.  I know a lot came to Tazewell and some went to Graham originally, but what about now?

Fiscally, I cannot foresee Tazewell County having the capital to pull that off for an extremely long time.

We discussed this earlier this year, but my concern is the lack of a geographically convenient dividing line for Tazewell.  Obviously, Richlands will be West, and Graham/Pocahontas will be East.  But what about Tazewell?  Presumably, the Burkes Garden and Gratton kids would still be East.  Presumably, the Pisgah and Cove kids would be West.  More likely than not, the Bishop, Adria, Baptist Valley, Amonate, and Bandy kids will be West.  In doing so, however, the lines for Elementary schools would need to be redrawn.  The simplest way would be to ship Tazewell Elementary kids East and North Tazewell Elementary kids West, but I'm positive there are kids who currently go to North Tazewell who would be going East.  

Politically?  Epic minefield.  Tazewell County can't even agree enough to churn out a Peddlers' Ordinance.  How in the world will there ever be enough agreement to condense 3 schools to 2?

To the last question, Pocahontas families were predictably very bitter toward Graham due to the push of the Eastern District Representative to close Pocahontas.  Hence, why many originally went to Tazewell.  Some still do, but the pendulum has swung toward Graham, I'd guess about 2/3 to 1/3.

Fiscally, I cannot foresee Tazewell County having the capital to pull that off for an extremely long time.

We discussed this earlier this year, but my concern is the lack of a geographically convenient dividing line for Tazewell.  Obviously, Richlands will be West, and Graham/Pocahontas will be East.  But what about Tazewell?  Presumably, the Burkes Garden and Gratton kids would still be East.  Presumably, the Pisgah and Cove kids would be West.  More likely than not, the Bishop, Adria, Baptist Valley, Amonate, and Bandy kids will be West.  In doing so, however, the lines for Elementary schools would need to be redrawn.  The simplest way would be to ship Tazewell Elementary kids East and North Tazewell Elementary kids West, but I'm positive there are kids who currently go to North Tazewell who would be going East.  

Politically?  Epic minefield.  Tazewell County can't even agree enough to churn out a Peddlers' Ordinance.  How in the world will there ever be enough agreement to condense 3 schools to 2?

To the last question, Pocahontas families were predictably very bitter toward Graham due to the push of the Eastern District Representative to close Pocahontas.  Hence, why many originally went to Tazewell.  Some still do, but the pendulum has swung toward Graham, I'd guess about 2/3 to 1/3.

That's what I thought about Pocahontas but I am curious do you see g-men support around the Pocahontas area?

The only thing Tazewell county can do as a group successfully is make their residents mad about something.  I don't know how other area counties are but it seems like unless it scratches their back or lines their pockets they can't agree on anything.

How do residents of the Pocahontas region feel on supporting athletics. I know a lot came to Tazewell and some went to Graham originally, but what about now?

At the time of closing it was probably 90% went to Tazewell. Now it's probably the other way around with the majority attending Graham. Kids that are seniors now we're probably in 4th grade or so at Abb's Valley when PHS closed so most weren't really old enough to really have a strong pride in Pocy. most of the younger kids are playing little league in Bluefield now and I'm pretty sure Abb's Valley participated in Graham's homecoming "spirit week." With that the way it is and the commute to Bluefield being much easier than to Taz, Pocahontas is mostly becoming graham fans.

That's what I thought about Pocahontas but I am curious do you see g-men support around the Pocahontas area?

The only thing Tazewell county can do as a group successfully is make their residents mad about something. I don't know how other area counties are but it seems like unless it scratches their back or lines their pockets they can't agree on anything.

I loved Pocahontas & was bitter towards graham at the time so when it closed I went to Tazewell. Played football there, graduated from there, & met my wife there. Now we live near Bluefielf and my son goes to Dudley Primary so I sit on the home side on Fridays at Mitchell