Gate City: Blue/White scrimmage

Leatherhead Larry

Just because you are a smaller school doesnt mean that you are not good, look at the 1974 Powell Valley team, that included BARRY HAMLER, DENNIS DAVIS, JERRY MYERS , AND JAMES MITCHELLS  dad JIMMY, 28-0 WON STATE,with BURRELL PAYE as coach, they had wins over DB coached by BUCK VAN HUSS, they also beat several aaa schools in CHRISTMAS tournaments .My point is that anyone who works hard and has talent (GATE CITY does)can win state,look what APPALACHIA and JONESVILLE did at 5-5 , then win state.

As a Radford guy, I know in my sports experience the only school anyone up in the New River Valley talked about from far Southwest Virginia was Gate City in football and basketball.  

We had some rivalries with Virginia High in soccer but how many schools play soccer?  

Football and basketball are the main cash cows for a small school like us and I would guess Gate City.  

Hearing you talk on here it sounds like this may be a year where the basketball team may bring in more money than football. Maybe, maybe not. 

Gate City has been the one team I have always heard of from people living up this way. 

Like Radford our goals in basketball are not to win the district/conference title. Our goal is the state tournament yet some schools celebrate like they won a state championship when they defeat us. 

It's all about your reality and your culture. You either have a championship culture established where your players are focused on the end of the road in March or they just have a date circled to beat somebody local.  

I'm sure for some of Gate City opponents beating them is the best thing in the world and the only thing that matters. Yet for people like us up here all we are concerned about is meeting schools like Gate City at the end because then we know it takes the best to beat the best 

It's all about perspective. 

I like the ones who know everything about the team, but somewhere along the line got some off the wall facts their buddy made up. I can normally siphon through the GC football lies due to family ties with a player, I like calling them out on the BS as well.  But, all that said, there are a few GC people that come to mind when I hear delusional.