Abingdon @ Gate City

mw0729

3 hours ago, tbgfan said:

Isn't the former DC's brother now the current DC?

Bleacher coaches are some of the best.  Perfect game calling, plans and development of players, while occupying their seats for 2-3 hours on Friday nights. 

No ill will intended toward anyone, past or present.

No clue, I would have to ask my cousin but that sucks if your brother takes your job. I don't know either personally just going on what my cousin said, He went to HS there & played. I agree about bleacher coaching but we are entitled to our opinions and who knows maybe I'm wrong. Richlands may have Blacksburg's number. We'll see, either way, hope it's a good game , no injuries. No ill will taken or intended either. 

I guess we'll know after next Friday if Richlands has the defense to stop Blacksburg or vice versa. No hearsay in a final score. Since my cousin played football there, knows the program well, I put a little more stock in what he says. Like I said, hopefully a good, injury free game for both sides. 

I'm not trying to ruffle feathers. It just seems the team isn't up to par as in past years from their performance at the  games so far this season. Could be coaching , could be the loss of those seniors from last year, could be less talented players, could be just a couple of poor outings, could be nothing in particular. The Blacksburg game should be good & the defense may be able to contain them. If defense allows another 290 yards rushing & has to spend majority of time on the field then it might not turn out too well. Offense needs to step it up.

Richlands lost a ton from last year. They played for a state title and lost a game to a Union team that is the schools best since Appy/PV combined. They are fine defensively, but this is not a 10-0 or 9-1 team. It's a 6-4 team. Richlands has Dye and Johnson defensively which are studs, then a bunch of role players who will be good, but they just don't have the talent of years past.

As for Greg Mance, he's been successful for 20 or so years. You don't become and stay successful for that long without making good decisions. Good decisions become habitual. Great coaches and leaders don't wake up one day and develop bad decision making habits. The defensive issues with Richlands is due to paragraph one above, and the same applies to their O, not as explosive.  They aren't coaching issues.  Richlands is still a 6-4 team. They play the toughest Class AA schedule in Va, with GC, Union, Bluefield, Graham, BBurg, and William Byrd, and Marion who is much improved. I still think they get to 6-4 somehow.

The best team Richlands plays is not Bluefield, Graham, Union, or even Blacksburg, it may actually be William Byrd who lost only 2 games last year. The first to Salem by only 3 pts, and then to Salem again in the playoffs by 7 pts. Salem won the state title.

I think everyone can agree Richlands should beat the Marions, Tazewells, Lebanons, & Virginia Highs of the world. My only point was on the games so far, they haven't been impressive as in the past. Either Richlands or Graham will take conference and both will go to the playoffs. Graham hasn't been as impressive either. They weren't as impressive  at the Bfield game this year as last year. It's hard to gauge there talent level against Tazewell since it was so lopsided or Bluefield's since the beat Princeton handily. Princeton used to have a solid program. Not surprising the one kid transferred from there to Richlands this year. He'll end up on a team with a better record at least. 

10 hours ago, TTownTigers said:

Richlands lost a ton from last year. They played for a state title and lost a game to a Union team that is the schools best since Appy/PV combined. They are fine defensively, but this is not a 10-0 or 9-1 team. It's a 6-4 team. Richlands has Dye and Johnson defensively which are studs, then a bunch of role players who will be good, but they just don't have the talent of years past.

As for Greg Mance, he's been successful for 20 or so years. You don't become and stay successful for that long without making good decisions. Good decisions become habitual. Great coaches and leaders don't wake up one day and develop bad decision making habits. The defensive issues with Richlands is due to paragraph one above, and the same applies to their O, not as explosive.  They aren't coaching issues.  Richlands is still a 6-4 team. They play the toughest Class AA schedule in Va, with GC, Union, Bluefield, Graham, BBurg, and William Byrd, and Marion who is much improved. I still think they get to 6-4 somehow.

The best team Richlands plays is not Bluefield, Graham, Union, or even Blacksburg, it may actually be William Byrd who lost only 2 games last year. The first to Salem by only 3 pts, and then to Salem again in the playoffs by 7 pts. Salem won the state title.

I thought Richlands beat Union last year.  Am I wrong?  Maybe he's referring to this year's game.  Who knows.  The way his post reads certainly isn't clear.