Marion vs George Wythe

Plywood_King

This was a pretty competitive game last year until GW put it away in the fourth. Marion seems to have taken a step forward in talent, whereas GW may not be where they were at this time last year. Make no mistake, that Fort Chiswell loss only motivated the 'Roons, and both teams should be ready to play this week.

Thoughts? Predictions? Comments about field conditions?

Marion vs GW should be a real slobber knocker. I think Marion has one of it's better squads in recent years. The Canes can pass and run the ball. Ford and Wyatt are no joke. These dudes can flat play the game. Marion is well coached, and a mature team. They handled Northwood with ease, and beat a good Chilhowie team on the road, taking advantage of turnovers by playing good Defense. Marion should win this one, but it all depends GW'S mind set. GW has so much potential, but a lot is lost by the bickering on and off the field. If GW comes to play, and leaves the bickering to the little league, they will give Marion a fit, and pull this one out. I do not see Marion beating themselves; they are too well coached.

Big Game Canes........Where are the Canes Fans ??? 

You have the right to remain silent. You have the right to an attorney. If you can Not afford one, one will NOT be appointed for you. Anything you say will not be used either for or against you, concerning the outcome of this game. This is a game. Coach Carroll will not get mad at you if you speak. He is a decent guy. OK. Let's try this. You have a life line you can use. Call a friend, and quote him....then you are off the hook with the Coaches, and you did not have any influence on the outcome of the game. OK one more idea. Wait till the game is over, then make your comments. 

Just kidding guys. Have a nice day AND night. 

l

We are here..if Marion plays clean and goes into this as a regular game..I see us winning by a TD maybe..If they come in looking like they are tight and playing the all mighty Gw..it's game over..For the first year I'm unsure who wins.28-21 either way..I'll be there ready to rumble

3 hours ago, vols4life said:

We are here..if Marion plays clean and goes into this as a regular game..I see us winning by a TD maybe..If they come in looking like they are tight and playing the all mighty Gw..it's game over..For the first year I'm unsure who wins.28-21 either way..I'll be there ready to rumble

I'll do you one better, 21-20 in overtime on a blocked extra point.

Stats from Bristol Herald Courier on game

Score - M - 38; GW 27

Scoring Summary

GW - Thompson 1 yd run (Sharitz kick)

GW - Thompson 1 yd run (Sharitz kick) (Rushed for 46 yds and 2 TD's)

M - Hamm 38 yd pass from Wyatt (pass failed)

M - Robinson 30 pass from Wyatt (Leonard kick)

M - Wyatt 19 yd run (pass failed) (Passed 179 yds, rushed for 88 yds, 2 TD's)

M - Ford 14 yd run (Leonard kick)  (Total of 224 rushing yds and 2 TD's)

GW - T. Brown 4 yd run (kick failed)

M - Ford 76 yd run (kick failed)

GW - Wells 65 yd pass from Beamer (Sharitz kick) (7 catches for 150 yds)

M - Wyatt 35 yd run (pass failed)

TEAM STATS

Marion                         GW

First Downs                             21                               17

Rushes-Yards                      41-324                        33-125

Passing Yards                       179                              245

Comp/Att/INT                      10-18-1                       16-31-2

Fumbles/Lost                        1-0                                2-1

Penalties-Yards                    2-10                              5-40

Marion pulled a "George Wythe" in this one. When your game plan is to run a balanced offense, maintain possession, limit turnovers, and keep your offense on the field, if you can win the line of scrimmage, odds are you will walk away with the victory. It was in a lot of ways very similar to the game last year, but with the teams reversed. What impressed me the most was that even when Marion went down by 14 early, they never lost their composure, and honestly, it felt like they were in control pretty much the entire game. Give GW all the credit in the world, things really turned against them in the second half and they never rolled over. You could tell that both teams were well coached.

Bearing that in mind, Marion is 3-0 for the first time since 2009, and odds are that they will be favored in every game leading up until Richlands comes to town. You never want to count your chickens before they hatch and no team is safe in SWVA, but if they take care of business, odds are good they will be 6-0 before they travel to Legion Field, and if they play the way that they did on Friday, it's likely that they will be 7-0 going into the game with Richlands, making for pretty nice matchup against the Tornado.