Union vs Gate City

UNION#ATW

8 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Hows that punishing a defense? You didn't sack the QB and you couldn't keep the QB in the pocket. If you allow the QB to escape the pocket and he throws it away, you didn't out-execute the offense. The defense didn't earn those yards. 

If a QB has to run away from pressure you have out executed the O in some shape or form, whether it is in coverage, blitz or overtaking the blocking scheme.  All you are doing in HS is making the QB throw it in the area of a receiver instead of just chucking it into the stands.  It doesnt say you have to hit them in the hands, it just eliminates the easiest way out when the D has taken the advantage in a play.  Going from 2nd and 1 to 3rd and 1 because you throw it away isnt as fair to the defense who may have performed better on a play than 3rd and 10 because of the choice of play call.

10 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

If a QB has to run away from pressure you have out executed the O in some shape or form, whether it is in coverage, blitz or overtaking the blocking scheme.  All you are doing in HS is making the QB throw it in the area of a receiver instead of just chucking it into the stands.  It doesnt say you have to hit them in the hands, it just eliminates the easiest way out when the D has taken the advantage in a play.  Going from 2nd and 1 to 3rd and 1 because you throw it away isnt as fair to the defense who may have performed better on a play than 3rd and 10 because of the choice of play call.

A QB doesn't always leave the pocket from pressure. Pressure itself isn't out executing if you can't capitalize on the pressure and get a tackle. 

Should the offense be given the yardage if a wide open receiver drops a pass? The offense executed better and got a receiver running wide open. That's my point. You don't get credit for execution if you can't finish it off. If a defense allows the QB to escape the pocket or pressure, they failed to contain the QB, and he's rewarded by being allowed to throw the ball away.

On 3/6/2021 at 6:08 PM, BigWinners said:

I agree. I think Gibson can contribute quite a bit at WR and that gives Union a way to get Bunch on field. 

Gibson has always been a natural runner. I think he's capable of getting alot of YAC at WR. The size and arm strength of Bunch makes him the better option at QB IMO,

On 3/6/2021 at 6:08 PM, BigWinners said:

I agree. I think Gibson can contribute quite a bit at WR and that gives Union a way to get Bunch on field. 

Gibson has always been a natural runner. I think he's capable of getting alot of YAC at WR. The size and arm strength of Bunch makes him the better option at QB IMO,

3 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

You did if they didn't complete the pass to an intended receiver.  No one is defending the crowd in the stands, if so someone has illegal participation happening..  

And the defense is rewarded by the changing of the down, from first to second, etc... They aren't rewarded even more so with the yardage because they didn't make a tackle behind the LOS. 

The NFL and college rule allowing the QB to throw the ball away doesn't reward the defense for out-scheming the offense.  Now that you can watch full games in decent quality on YouTube, check out any of the NFC or AFC Championship games or Super Bowls prior to the rule change and the difference is clear.  In those games, you are guaranteed to have a pretty good QB and decent to excellent defenses...and when the defense out-schemes the offense, that QB has a choice to make and has to make it quickly.  At the very least, it forces the QB to either take a sack or make a high risk throw that the defense can at least make a play on, rewarding the defense's strategy.  I like the HS rule.  It's pretty much the same as the old NFL and college rule.

6 hours ago, sup_rbeast said:

The NFL and college rule allowing the QB to throw the ball away doesn't reward the defense for out-scheming the offense.  Now that you can watch full games in decent quality on YouTube, check out any of the NFC or AFC Championship games or Super Bowls prior to the rule change and the difference is clear.  In those games, you are guaranteed to have a pretty good QB and decent to excellent defenses...and when the defense out-schemes the offense, that QB has a choice to make and has to make it quickly.  At the very least, it forces the QB to either take a sack or make a high risk throw that the defense can at least make a play on, rewarding the defense's strategy.  I like the HS rule.  It's pretty much the same as the old NFL and college rule.

That's my point. The current rule is the hardest on the QB at any level and that's backwards. HS kids should be given more leeway than college or pro QBs.