McCartney Hinkle

Gridiron60

From Graham High School FB page: 

🚨🚨Region 2D Player of the Year Alert 🚨🚨

Congratulations to McCartney Hinkle on winning the Region 2D Player of the Year today in Bristol by carding a tournament low round of -2 (68) at Clear Creek . McCartney will represent Graham High School at the State Tournament October 10th at Olde Mill Golf Resort . Well played 👏🏽 McCartney !!!

Hinkle is a very good golfer with a bright future. Most people have no idea how much work these kids put into being this good at such a young age. The dedication and discipline it takes to pound balls on the range for hours on end before going to work on short game. The morning workouts before school. The dietary restrictions. 

I practiced with the Galax golf team yesterday afternoon. They began at 4pm. I didn't get there until shortly after 5pm. When I left after dark at 7:30pm, three of them were still in the practice area working on a putting drill. This is an everyday occurrence, even if the weather isn't cooperative. If the weather doesn't allow them to be outside, they are in the simulator. Year-round. Nonstop. Most of these kids family vacations center around golf. I posted the Region 2D scores in the 2022 High School Golf thread a few days ago.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, these kids work harder and put in more hours at their craft than any high school football player I've ever seen. 

15 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

From Graham High School FB page: 

🚨🚨Region 2D Player of the Year Alert 🚨🚨

Congratulations to McCartney Hinkle on winning the Region 2D Player of the Year today in Bristol by carding a tournament low round of -2 (68) at Clear Creek . McCartney will represent Graham High School at the State Tournament October 10th at Olde Mill Golf Resort . Well played 👏🏽 McCartney !!!

Shot a Region D-winning score, 68 (-2), as a freshman.  I frankly think the kid doesn't get enough attention.  Seldom is there a young man who comes through SWVA high schools where "highest professional league" is the ceiling.  Hinkle is one of them.  Crazy part is, he's got some growing left to do, both in terms of height, strength, and seasoning.  I'm anxious to see where his road leads him.

6 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Shot a Region D-winning score, 68 (-2), as a freshman.  I frankly think the kid doesn't get enough attention.  Seldom is there a young man who comes through SWVA high schools where "highest professional league" is the ceiling.  Hinkle is one of them.  Crazy part is, he's got some growing left to do, both in terms of height, strength, and seasoning.  I'm anxious to see where his road leads him.

He's an unknown in terms of Virginia golf. He doesn't play enough Virginia State Golf Association (VSGA) events to be known across the state like Jake Albert in Blacksburg. Jake won the 2022 National High School Championship in Myrtle Beach this summer after winning the VHSL Class 4 state championship last fall as a freshman. He's a known entity across Virginia because he competes in VSGA events regularly. Since VSGA runs VHSL golf tournaments, that smallish circle get to know one another over time. Hinkle plays much more in West Virginia and Tennessee so the folks in Virginia haven't been exposed to him yet.

None of that is a negative. It's just meant to point out the main reason why he's a virtual unknown across Virginia. He is seeing more talented and deeper fields playing in Tennessee anyway. I think he will be much more known across the rest of the state next week with a good showing at Olde Mill. The sky is the limit for this kid. 

On 10/4/2022 at 9:27 AM, sixcat said:

Hinkle is a very good golfer with a bright future. Most people have no idea how much work these kids put into being this good at such a young age. The dedication and discipline it takes to pound balls on the range for hours on end before going to work on short game. The morning workouts before school. The dietary restrictions. 

I practiced with the Galax golf team yesterday afternoon. They began at 4pm. I didn't get there until shortly after 5pm. When I left after dark at 7:30pm, three of them were still in the practice area working on a putting drill. This is an everyday occurrence, even if the weather isn't cooperative. If the weather doesn't allow them to be outside, they are in the simulator. Year-round. Nonstop. Most of these kids family vacations center around golf. I posted the Region 2D scores in the 2022 High School Golf thread a few days ago.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, these kids work harder and put in more hours at their craft than any high school football player I've ever seen. 

the higher you go in this sport the more mental it becomes,   just another aspect you have to hone in to compete at the ultimate level,  

ETSU has always had ties to European countries. Not sure how or why but they always have a roster full of players from Europe. 

The current roster of 10 players, 4 from England, 1 from Scotland, 1 from Norway, and 1 from Sweden. Of the 3 players from North America on the roster, 1 is from Montreal, Canada. The remaining 2 are from Tennessee. 

45 minutes ago, sixcat said:

ETSU has always had ties to European countries. Not sure how or why but they always have a roster full of players from Europe. 

The current roster of 10 players, 4 from England, 1 from Scotland, 1 from Norway, and 1 from Sweden. Of the 3 players from North America on the roster, 1 is from Montreal, Canada. The remaining 2 are from Tennessee. 

rory was suppose to play there until he turned pro

Hinkle shot a +6 round of 78 today. I will update all Class 2 scoring as soon as everyone finishes and scores come in.

Tough conditions at Olde Mill. Temperatures in the 50's, 15 MPH sustained wind and a wet golf course with severe elevation change. Scorecard course length for today is 6,328. It played significantly longer considering the soft conditions.