Girls season kicks off with a bang

Elder statesman

Opening tournaments for the girl's season have provided much to talk about.  Defending state champions Wise Central and Honaker both won their respective tournaments, but other area teams did not make it easy for them.  Eastside fought Honaker hard in a 9 point game before 2A Ridgeview gave them a serious run for the championship at VA High.  Wise Central had a tough time as well.  They had to beat Richlands in the semifinals in a matchup that paired two of the best players in SWVA against each other with McCamis and Annsley Trivette (sophomore and freshman).  This was a hard-fought game but the outside shooting of Central was too much to overcome.  The championship against Union was another back and forth game with Union getting close a few times until Wise had a late run to pull away.  Some of the top individual performers were McCamis, Trivette, Williams (Burton), Slagle (Union), and Hammonds (Eastside).  

From my earlier predictions I have to say that Union surprised me with their start.  If they can keep the team unity, they may be a solid contender for the Mountain 7.  Ridgeview looked very tenacious against Honaker but with those low scores I am not sure how that plays out against the top 2A schools like Wise, Gate City, and Union.  Not sure why you travel from Clintwood to Bristol when you have a higher quality tournament closer to home in Wise.  

12 hours ago, stantheman said:

looks like Annsley Trivette is the real deal,  impressive what she did being a freshman

She’s big into travel ball. Traveling all over not just in Virginia. She’ll be D1 for sure. Super talented! Could be the next “Brittany Allen” for the Lady Blues. 

23 hours ago, Elder statesman said:

Opening tournaments for the girl's season have provided much to talk about.  Defending state champions Wise Central and Honaker both won their respective tournaments, but other area teams did not make it easy for them.  Eastside fought Honaker hard in a 9 point game before 2A Ridgeview gave them a serious run for the championship at VA High.  Wise Central had a tough time as well.  They had to beat Richlands in the semifinals in a matchup that paired two of the best players in SWVA against each other with McCamis and Annsley Trivette (sophomore and freshman).  This was a hard-fought game but the outside shooting of Central was too much to overcome.  The championship against Union was another back and forth game with Union getting close a few times until Wise had a late run to pull away.  Some of the top individual performers were McCamis, Trivette, Williams (Burton), Slagle (Union), and Hammonds (Eastside).  

From my earlier predictions I have to say that Union surprised me with their start.  If they can keep the team unity, they may be a solid contender for the Mountain 7.  Ridgeview looked very tenacious against Honaker but with those low scores I am not sure how that plays out against the top 2A schools like Wise, Gate City, and Union.  Not sure why you travel from Clintwood to Bristol when you have a higher quality tournament closer to home in Wise.  

I'm not in favor of any tournament where you could potentially face a district opponent in it.  And in that Wise tournament two M7 opponents facing each other is always very high as well as two Cumberland opponents.

51 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I'm not in favor of any tournament where you could potentially face a district opponent in it.  And in that Wise tournament two M7 opponents facing each other is always very high as well as two Cumberland opponents.

This years Cumberland district is Burton's to lose and its not even close. Eastside and Twin springs are playing for second unless alot of development happens.