MED

nrv_football

Bland isn't playing any other member of the MED this season in football so, I refuse to include them here.

1. Grayson (5-0)
2. GW (4-1)
3. Giles (3-2)
4. Galax (2-3)
5. Fort Chiswell (1-4)
6. Auburn (0-5)

Auburn.  I'll go 0-2, not 0-5 (regardless of whether it's counted as an official loss/etc/I don't know the rules with all of that).  What I'm sayin in....Auburn plays 2, 3 at most in the district, then the season is cancelled.  I hope I'm wrong for the kids at Auburn and their new coach.  I hope he can turn that thing around.

1.  Giles. (Total Bias-I admit it up front)

2. Grayson, George Wythe, Galax tie for 2.  I'm gonna say Galax in a nailbiter over GW, and GW in a nailbiter over Grayson, and Grayson with a win over Galax.

3. Fort Chiswell.

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

Bland isn't playing any other member of the MED this season in football so, I refuse to include them here.

1. Grayson (5-0)
2. GW (4-1)
3. Giles (3-2)
4. Galax (2-3)
5. Fort Chiswell (1-4)
6. Auburn (0-5)

I sort of doubt Bland ends playing at all or if they do they won’t finish out the season. I heard they had 12 players right now. Too bad the VHSL won’t give the kids a waiver to play in a neighboring county but still attend Bland. 

8 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Too bad the VHSL won’t give the kids a waiver to play in a neighboring county but still attend Bland. 

They did at one time because a bunch of us from Fries attended Vaughan School, which was a K-9 "Intermediate" school in the Carroll County School System, and were playing sports at Fries by the time we were in 8th grade. Fries was/is part of the Grayson County School System. 

I don't remember many of the details and Vaughan School closed nearly 30 years ago (dam, has it been that long?). I just remember it being normal for us to play 8th grade football at Fries while attending Vaughan. Maybe @Optimal62knows a bit more detail.

2 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Auburn.  I'll go 0-2, not 0-5 (regardless of whether it's counted as an official loss/etc/I don't know the rules with all of that).  What I'm sayin in....Auburn plays 2, 3 at most in the district, then the season is cancelled.  I hope I'm wrong for the kids at Auburn and their new coach.  I hope he can turn that thing around.

1.  Giles. (Total Bias-I admit it up front)

2. Grayson, George Wythe, Galax tie for 2.  I'm gonna say Galax in a nailbiter over GW, and GW in a nailbiter over Grayson, and Grayson with a win over Galax.

3. Fort Chiswell.

Giles could be decent this year. It wouldn't surprise me they had a decent JV last year.

3 hours ago, sixcat said:

They did at one time because a bunch of us from Fries attended Vaughan School, which was a K-9 "Intermediate" school in the Carroll County School System, and were playing sports at Fries by the time we were in 8th grade. Fries was/is part of the Grayson County School System. 

I don't remember many of the details and Vaughan School closed nearly 30 years ago (dam, has it been that long?). I just remember it being normal for us to play 8th grade football at Fries while attending Vaughan. Maybe @Optimal62knows a bit more detail.

1. 8th grade and below ISN'T high school. VHSL covers HS, like the name says.

2. Where ever you started 9th grade was where you played.

I'd think they could play somewhere else with little to no problem if Bland just flat out ccd. football.. NOT after they play, but totally.

2 hours ago, VHSLhelper said:

1. 8th grade and below ISN'T high school. VHSL covers HS, like the name says.

2. Where ever you started 9th grade was where you played.

Maybe I wasn’t very clear. We began playing at Fries, while attending Vaughan, in 8th grade. Beginning in 8th grade but not being limited to 8th grade. Maybe it was special circumstances because Fries was in its final few years? I don’t know. 

A handful of guys transferred to Fort Chiswell but the majority of us, including @Optimal62, played a season or two at Fries while attending Vaughan. 

There were 13 total kids in my 9th grade class at Vaughan. The school was only a mile or so from Fries School. We’re talking about one of the least populated schools probably in all of Virginia. 

I'm going to go into this a little deeper since I have a bit of time on my hands at the moment. 

The greater Fries community had three schools for decades. Fries (K-12), Vaughan (K-9) and Providence (K-6 I believe). Virtually every kid from all three of those schools eventually graduated from Fries High School. The Carroll County/Grayson County boundary bisects the greater Freis community in several different locations. I don't recall if Fries was its own school division or always a part of Grayson County. The Town of Fries was its own entity for generations, much like Galax and Norton. The Town went bankrupt sometime in the early 1990's when the Cotton Mill closed and the Town was incorporated into Grayson County. I'm not entirely sure but I believe this involved the school system in Fries as well.

What I do know, is kids from Vaughan played JV and Varsity football at Fries beginning in 8th grade. We had our own JV basketball and baseball teams at Vaughan but football ended in 7th grade so, we played at Fries beginning in 8th grade. 

14 hours ago, KW23 said:

Didn't gwhythe graduate a lot from last years squad?

1. Grayson

2. Giles

3. G Whythe

4. Galax

5. Fort Chiswell

Yes, 7 starters on D plus one that is still recovering from ACL and wont be back till october. and only return one starter on offense line, only contributors coming back on O are the QB and slot.

On 7/27/2023 at 6:00 PM, KW23 said:

Didn't gwhythe graduate a lot from last years squad?

1. Grayson

2. Giles

3. G Whythe

4. Galax

5. Fort Chiswell

George Wythe graduated some very good players from last year’s squad, but there is no way Giles tops them this year. Despite graduating some very key players, they still have the potential to be back in Salem this year.

1 hour ago, MMcMahon26 said:

George Wythe graduated some very good players from last year’s squad, but there is no way Giles tops them this year. Despite graduating some very key players, they still have the potential to be back in Salem this year.

Giles has potential but tough schedule for sure. The numbers are actually 30-35 I saw on the other post. I'm not sure if he is coming up to varsity or even if he is still at Giles but i saw a nice looking running back on their JV squad last year. Also a few other nice skill players that were on that squad. If they are still enrolled at Giles I could see them take a step up this year or next. 

28 minutes ago, KW23 said:

Im not high on Giles anymore after seeing they had such low numbers come out this year.  I dont see George whythe in Salem either though.

From the other post it looks like 30 to 35ish on the team. I would bet they move a few up from the 9th grade as well. I saw a few skilled backs last year on that 8th -9th grade team from them as well. Of course they could have moved or just not hit the weight room etc and fall flat.

On 7/27/2023 at 2:47 PM, sixcat said:

@sixcat is correct. The 9th graders was allowed to play on the Fries varsity squads in all sports.  The reason being is the bus ride from Vaughan school to Fries was a 5 mile ride tops. If the Vaughan kids rode  the bus to Hillsville for practice after school, the practice would of been all but done by the time they arrived. Almost an hour bus ride. So playing varsity sports at Hillsville for Vaughan kids was not possible- thus the exception. 

30 years dang!