4. RIDGEVIEW

5. VIRGINIA HIGH 

6. MARION

7. JI BURTON

8. EASTSIDE

9. CHILHOWIE

10. UNION

On the boys side

I think Lebanon and Abingdon may be better than Honaker. Not sure about Graham this year. Central should definitely be better than Chilhowie and PH (Union has the talent to be above all three of these teams)

On the girls side

Honaker/Abingdon would be a good game. Honaker surprised me by playing with Carroll County.  Wise is the team to beat until someone knocks them down.  To beat Wise, their free throws have to be limited.  They went to the line 23 times against Abingdon and IMO, that was the difference in the game.   

Eastside is better than JI Burton, Marion, and Va High. Gate City will be better than Union also, so I don't see Union at 10.

Eastside easily handled Burton in the Wise tournament and Hammons is better than any 2 players on Marions team.  Moss does well against weaker teams but she would have a hard time going up against a quality post defender.

Region D Girls Basketball Top 10

1. Wise
  2. Abingdon
  3. Honaker
  4. Ridgeview
  5. Eastside
  6. Union
  7. Burton
  8. Rural Retreat
  9. Virginia High
  10. Rye Cove

M7 is the M7.

SWD is down

Hogo has two teams

BDD has 3/4 of a Team.

Cumberland has 4 of the Top 7 teams in Region D 1a. 

Based off Scrimmages and scores. Unless Chilhowie and Marion were missing players neither would come close to any team on this list. Virginia High is my only question mark, they could be off the list or as high as 6th, just going off scores. 

1 hour ago, Stelley said:

Boys

1. Graham

2. Lebanon

3. Abingdon

4. Virginia High

5. Gate City

6. Central

7. Honaker

8. Patrick Henry

9. Ridgeview

10. Union

Well I would say after last night that Abingdon should be ahead of Lebanon for sure. 

36 minutes ago, Tigerman10 said:

Well I would say after last night that Abingdon should be ahead of Lebanon for sure. 

Maybe so but they also lost to leb ( granted it was a benefit game so who knows how hard both teams were trying to win). But it’s also still super early in the season and who knows when some teams will finally start putting everything together

5 hours ago, Stelley said:

Boys

1. Graham

2. Lebanon

3. Abingdon

4. Virginia High

5. Gate City

6. Central

7. Honaker

8. Patrick Henry

9. Ridgeview

10. Union

What will be fun is that 6 of these teams are in the UVA-Wise Tournament

On 12/6/2023 at 2:12 PM, Elder statesman said:

On the boys side

I think Lebanon and Abingdon may be better than Honaker. Not sure about Graham this year. Central should definitely be better than Chilhowie and PH (Union has the talent to be above all three of these teams)

On the girls side

Honaker/Abingdon would be a good game. Honaker surprised me by playing with Carroll County.  Wise is the team to beat until someone knocks them down.  To beat Wise, their free throws have to be limited.  They went to the line 23 times against Abingdon and IMO, that was the difference in the game.   

Eastside is better than JI Burton, Marion, and Va High. Gate City will be better than Union also, so I don't see Union at 10.

Eastside easily handled Burton in the Wise tournament and Hammons is better than any 2 players on Marions team.  Moss does well against weaker teams but she would have a hard time going up against a quality post defender.

pretty spot on with this statement,  it will be hard to keep central ladies off the FT line with the officiating we have in this area,   the ref's were terrible in the championship game of that wise tourney,  

10 hours ago, stan.the.man said:

pretty spot on with this statement,  it will be hard to keep central ladies off the FT line with the officiating we have in this area,   the ref's were terrible in the championship game of that wise tourney,  

I agree with that.  The officiating was terrible in the championship game.  After the first quarter, Dotson was in the ear of the officials almost every trip down the court.  Between that and Abingdon's poor coaching, Central was pretty much gifted that trophy

The sad thing is you had the previous 2 head of officials in the championship game in Poole and Christian.  The third guy should be a JV ref.  You are correct jwgarrett, Dotson told Christian almost every call to make in the second half. Gotta take care of the tournament host I guess.  It was good strategy.  Everyone knew McCamis and Trivette would be the top for each team.  It came down to second tier players and Abingdon had their senior post player and point guard both in foul trouble along with a third starter.  That opened it up for Looney to be the deciding factor.   I was actually surprised with officiating in the previous day's games with Ben Campbell and Junior Salyers.  They were actually better than expected.    

6 minutes ago, Elder statesman said:

The sad thing is you had the previous 2 head of officials in the championship game in Poole and Christian.  The third guy should be a JV ref.  You are correct jwgarrett, Dotson told Christian almost every call to make in the second half. Gotta take care of the tournament host I guess.  It was good strategy.  Everyone knew McCamis and Trivette would be the top for each team.  It came down to second tier players and Abingdon had their senior post player and point guard both in foul trouble along with a third starter.  That opened it up for Looney to be the deciding factor.   I was actually surprised with officiating in the previous day's games with Ben Campbell and Junior Salyers.  They were actually better than expected.    

I agree with you 100%.  When Greene and Baker both picked up their third foul, I told my wife it was over because the refs would send Central to the line as many times as it took to win lol.  Don't understand why Abingdon's coach took Trivette off of McAmis in the second half.  She held her to 7 points in the first half and McAmis looked rattled.  I know McAmis was the MVP, but Trivette was the best player in the tournament.