M7 Slate today

Wade_1

2 hours ago, Wade_1 said:

Lee vs Ridgeview

Battle vs Union

Abingdon vs Central

Fun night of basketball in the Mountain 7.  Home teams should prevail on both the boys and girls side with the exception of Central boys.  But I wouldn't be completely surprised if they pulled out the win as well.  

Abingdon girls lose despite having far more talent than Central. Not sure what coach is doing having his 6 footer trying to guard McCamis. McCamis got anything she wanted late just by blowing by Trivette. Central's big girl got what she wanted too cause she had a smaller wing trying to guard her. The refs were all about Robin Dotson too, never seen such biased officiating in the M7. Multiple walks called on Abingdon when the girls were fighting over loose balls, nobody even had possession of the ball. And the exact same refs were completely fine in the boys game 20 minutes later. 

3 hours ago, TheDuke said:

Abingdon girls lose despite having far more talent than Central. Not sure what coach is doing having his 6 footer trying to guard McCamis. McCamis got anything she wanted late just by blowing by Trivette. Central's big girl got what she wanted too cause she had a smaller wing trying to guard her. The refs were all about Robin Dotson too, never seen such biased officiating in the M7. Multiple walks called on Abingdon when the girls were fighting over loose balls, nobody even had possession of the ball. And the exact same refs were completely fine in the boys game 20 minutes later. 

the first 2 fouls of the game were offensive fouls against mccamis and looney,  then it went on a 20-3 foul advantage for wise!!!   I was told that steve honaker came over to Lasley and complained that his name was being yelled outloud during the game!!!  after watching both of these matchup's I am confident that with unbiased officials in both games that abingdon would have won both!!!

4 hours ago, TheDuke said:

this is from Tim Hays from the BHC:

Many Abingdon fans voiced their displeasure and serenaded the referees with boos over the 20-11 foul discrepancy. Abingdon did not shoot a free throw until 2:10 remaining in the third quarter, going to the foul line just five times for the game.

While the Falcons did settle for jumpshots most of the time, Brown appeared miffed on the sideline a time or two.

“It’s a little bit our fault,” Brown said. “We haven’t gotten to the line a lot this season and sometimes we’re not aggressive enough. It seems to happen that way a lot when you go against the [VHSL] Hall of Famer [in Dotson]. Maybe, I’ll get those [calls] one day too.”

There does need to be a total revamp of the officiating in our area. From football even to soccer. Some of the officials have been here for far too long and are far too old. It is a shame and disgrace to schools in swva

they earned it six!!!   it was obvious what they were doing!!!   what's really sad is the fact you have 15, 16, 17 year old kids working their tails off year in and year out and then they get this from adults in the room!!!  One or Two missed calls is not the issue here,  it was call after call after call!!  If what happened was questionable then it wouldn't have been talked about in the paper!!!  after the first 2 fouls on Wise's top 2 players it changed!!!  Girls play rougher than Boys,  not complaining about the fouls they called on Abingdon,  the issue was the fact that Wise girls fouled just as much but somehow they called walks on Abingdon's girls, it was obvious!!! They earned those Boo's!!!

I did some digging into this today and apparently Wise's coach has blackballed several officials. So if you want to ref their games you have to give them calls. The loose ball walks were some of the worst calls I have ever seen. Nobody in their right mind would call that. The fact that it happened right as Abingdon was getting momentum and coming back makes it even more obvious. This doesn't change the fact that Abingdon has players playing way out of position. Asking Trivette to guard McCamis, or Abingdon's wing to guard their big is just plain silly. You didn't see McCamis trying to defend Trivette, and who has the banners hanging in the gym. Trivette is spending so much energy on D chasing little guards around it is taking away from her offense, not to mention she is out of position on the defensive boards. Swap the coaches and Abingdon would blow Wise out of the gym easily. 

Anyone is welcome to watch the nfhs feed.  It's very telling when even the Central announcers are saying numerous calls against Abingdon are bad.   The second half is where it gets really obvious.  Anytime abingdon made a run, calls were made to stop that run. 

Honaker and Conley called 2 walks on Trivette that were ridiculous. One was a straight pivot spin for a shot and the other one she never even moved.   Trivette grabbed a rebound and mccamis fouled her as she came down but they called a foul on Trivette.    Even Dotson and Mccamis couldn't believe they called the foul on Trivette. 

Reynolds was called for a foul on Mccamis and replay shows she didn't even come close to touching her.  Mccamis bumped 2 of our guards almost to the floor and there was no call.   When they finally did call one on her they made it a double foul to keep Dotson happy. Seymore was called for a joke foul after Looney makes a basket.  They turn to run back down the floor and Seymore trips and falls. She grazes Looneys leg as she goes down and Honaker calls a foul and gives central the ball back.   Abingdon never made it to the bonus in any quarter but Wise did every quarter except maybe the first quarter.  

Another official in attendance just happens to be Centrals assistant principal and from what I have been told, TJ blackballs certain officials who have made calls against his daughter so I guess the rest are protecting themselves. 

12 hours ago, TheDuke said:

I did some digging into this today and apparently Wise's coach has blackballed several officials. So if you want to ref their games you have to give them calls. The loose ball walks were some of the worst calls I have ever seen. Nobody in their right mind would call that. The fact that it happened right as Abingdon was getting momentum and coming back makes it even more obvious. This doesn't change the fact that Abingdon has players playing way out of position. Asking Trivette to guard McCamis, or Abingdon's wing to guard their big is just plain silly. You didn't see McCamis trying to defend Trivette, and who has the banners hanging in the gym. Trivette is spending so much energy on D chasing little guards around it is taking away from her offense, not to mention she is out of position on the defensive boards. Swap the coaches and Abingdon would blow Wise out of the gym easily. 

This!  These are my thoughts exactly.  One of the reasons Lee hung around with Abingdon so long this past week was that Trivette guarded Hammonds the entire game, and Trivette just isn’t quick enough to do that for 32 minutes.  So Hammonds would blow past her and get to the hoop.  

In my opinion, Abingdon has the best player in the M7, Central has the best starting 5, and Ridgeview has the best overall team 1 thru 10.  Central will win the district again because of their starters.  Then the district tournament will be held at Central, and nobody is going to beat them there because of the way it will be officiated.

I thought Dotson was on some kind of VHSL board/committee?  If so, might be some kind of conflict there.  Honaker (if it's the same one) has always been one of "those" guys that puts himself in a game to make a difference.  He used to officiate football, but I think he just does some sideline work for wcyb.  Officials do show bias most of the time and stay in there feelings because they get yelled at by coaches and fans.  Gotta have a little thicker skin if you're planning on hanging around.  People paid money to go inside and watch a game that's supposed to be officiated fairly so maybe they're just very disappointed in their investment.  Central will be on top until someone stops them, good luck.

First of all, if it’s true that a coach and or school administration can say yes or no to what officials show up that is a joke and the VHSL needs to fix that immediately.  I haven’t watched the game in question and probably won’t so I won’t comment on specifics of it just posts here.  Like @sixcatsaid, who is going to want to officiate games for what they are paid.  These schools are getting what they pay for.  I’ve looked at doing it as I know there is a massive shortage of refs.  But there is no way I’d put up with RV, Central, and Union fans for what refs around here are paid for each game.  

1 hour ago, Wolf1207 said:

First of all, if it’s true that a coach and or school administration can say yes or no to what officials show up that is a joke and the VHSL needs to fix that immediately.  I haven’t watched the game in question and probably won’t so I won’t comment on specifics of it just posts here.  Like @sixcatsaid, who is going to want to officiate games for what they are paid.  These schools are getting what they pay for.  I’ve looked at doing it as I know there is a massive shortage of refs.  But there is no way I’d put up with RV, Central, and Union fans for what refs around here are paid for 

Heck, every business now seems to prompt you for a tip.   

Some of these guys have been officiating for decades, so that per game check must be enough.... or is it?

I am not sure that we have a problem with lack of officials.  I played many years ago when girls played in the fall and boys in winter.  We always played with 2 officials in the game.  I am not sure what prompted the move to 3 officials but IMO it has not helped anything.  Each crew still only works 2 games because you have a JV crew and Varsity crew.  The shortage of officials is exacerbated by using up to 6 officials per quad on peak game days.  This causes some JV quality officials to be grouped up with Varsity crews and hurts the overall quality.  I would attest that the lack of proper training along with any kind of accountability are a big issue.  We now have many methods of viewing these games remotely so why not randomly review these guys to see how they work and use that to teach.  

And please stop putting 70 and 80 year old men doing fast paced games.

3 hours ago, Wolf1207 said:

First of all, if it’s true that a coach and or school administration can say yes or no to what officials show up that is a joke and the VHSL needs to fix that immediately.  I haven’t watched the game in question and probably won’t so I won’t comment on specifics of it just posts here.  Like @sixcatsaid, who is going to want to officiate games for what they are paid.  These schools are getting what they pay for.  I’ve looked at doing it as I know there is a massive shortage of refs.  But there is no way I’d put up with RV, Central, and Union fans for what refs around here are paid for each game.  

Not sure in basketball or baseball yet but I know for football they had to increase the ticket prices to increase the pay for the officials. ( not too sure on the specifics bc I bought a home sports pass and it increased from $70 to $90 this year).

District play going into January on the boys side:

Abingdon (2-0)

Ridgeview (2-0) 

Gate City (1-0)

Union (1-0)

Central (0-2)

Battle (0-2)

Lee (0-2) 

Any surprises?