Soccer 2024 Season

Bulldogs52

What’s everyone looking like? 

Tazewell is returning all starters but 1 this season after making the playoffs last season. Loaded with several seniors this year who have played varsity as freshman. With at least two committed to play at the next level. Excited to see my son play his final season as a Bulldog. 

Despite winning 6 state championships in the past 10 seasons, Galax is on its 4th head coach in 4 seasons!!!

The talent is there, as always. Galax could legitimately field two state level teams and have some talent to spare. We'll see how the new coach shakes out. 

• 2 weeks later...

The usual suspects should still be strong in Region 2C on the boys side.  I don't think Glenvar lost much from the team that won the state championship last year and the same seems to be true of region runner-up Radford.

From my own rooting perspective... as a member of the Seminole District, Liberty (Bedford) will be playing a schedule comprised entirely of Division 3 and 4 teams.  Based on the rating system the Minutemen probably only have to win about four games to qualify for the regional playoffs -- which would seem to be a pretty attainable goal.  Fairly decent talent on this year's team.  Two seniors will most likely move on to play in college (one of whom is my son, who could make a commitment to play for a Division II school as soon as next week) and our junior goal keeper is already being heavily recruited as well.  Main thing I see is good working chemistry among the team during the fall travel season and a 4-2 friendly win over James River last week.  It's entirely possible that they could make a run in the postseason -- they just have to clear the hurdle of getting there first.  Certainly an odd situation.

On 2/26/2024 at 10:21 AM, sixcat said:

Despite winning 6 state championships in the past 10 seasons, Galax is on its 4th head coach in 4 seasons!!!

The talent is there, as always. Galax could legitimately field two state level teams and have some talent to spare. We'll see how the new coach shakes out. 

Why all the coaching changes?

9 hours ago, EH31 said:

Why all the coaching changes?

I’m not entirely sure. Troy Barkley took over in the late 00’s and won 5 state championships before going to Pulaski, where he attended high school. Since that time, it’s been one-and-done. 

From this side of the state, I’d give the nod to region C in C2 but I’d like to see someone from D make a run to state championship. I think Glenvar could run the table again. I know the coach & he thinks they are going to have a promising season. They did return a lot of talent.