The right teams need to be in the playoffs

jmarcum

I have seen a lot of teams with good records not make the playoffs and its a shame. I mean is it really fair for a 5-5 team to make it when an 8-2 team doesnt? Does anyone know if the VHSL is gonna work on a solution?

<font color="800000"> I kind of agree with you on that. Both Honaker and Clintwood missing the playoffs is a real shame especially with Rye Cove basically "stealing" a spot by winning one of the weakest districts in the state. But no system is perfect...regardless of what they (VHSL) do, someone is going to get left out one way or another.</font>

I know there has to be a way to make sure it doesnt continue to happen. I think that perhaps the automatic bid for winning the district could be hurting some teams. I would think that the teams with the best records should be in. I mean think about it who has a better chance of giving you a good playoff run a 5-5 team or one that is 8-2? I would think the 8-2 team would be able to potentially win a state title. LIke you said there are two teams sitting at home this Friday night that would agree with me.

<font color="800000">I seem to recall a couple of years ago a Graham team that qualified for the playoffs with a 5-5 record. They steam-rolled an undefeated Lebanon team and won the Region Championship. I think the quality of the team has a lot to do with the quality of the schedule...one reason I like the new VHSL Point Rating System, it rewards teams for playing tougher schedules. </font>

On Virginia Preps there was a topic about combining the four region system into 2 regions. Region 3/4 in AA I guess it would be Region C/D in single A for this area and seat the top teams by district champions and then the rest by power points. I know in AA this year that would have tremendously helped out with Region 3 teams since they had such a good year all around and it would weed out a couple of teams that shouldnt be there and put teams in slots that they should be in. I put all the numbers up on the VAPreps board and if anybody wants to see them I have them on paper here and I can just post them up on here. I only have the Region3/4 division 4 and Region 1/2 Division 4 but I'm sure somebody could do it for single a to see if that would eliminate some cupcake teams. I also did one which threw out the district champions rule and put teams in based on power points alone. That actually turned out to be the best if you ask me for AA.

in the same respect, if you win your district, that has to count for something.

There are only so many spots, so...unless you want to add more spots, it's going to be the same situation no matter what you do.

Rye Cove earned their spot.

I would have liked to have seen Honaker and Clintwood both get in, but GC, PV, Haysi, and yes even Rye Cove all have earned the spots they have...so...just not enough room for everyone.

Honaker and Clintwood both had good enough teams to play up this year, which would have helped them out in the long run...I'd look to that next year and try to expand the schedule a little more if possible, I know it's not easy...but with the current system, that's what they will have to do to make the playoffs. 9-1 is not a sure thing anymore.