Amherst vs Bassett

Bulldog 82

Amherst travels to Bassett this Sat. to take on the Bengals. I've heard that Amherst probably has the best team in this part of the state. Does anyone know much about them and what kind of offense and defense they have? They beat Salem the other day so the Lancers have gotta be good.

we played amherst and they are very athletic-salem was ahead to just over a minute to go and amherst scored on a long pass.salem played almost flawlessly and still lost-amherst has a great team.

[ QUOTE ]

Amherst travels to Bassett this Sat. to take on the Bengals. I've heard that Amherst probably has the best team in this part of the state. Does anyone know much about them and what kind of offense and defense they have? They beat Salem the other day so the Lancers have gotta be good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amherst runs unbalanced line and will have 3 and 4 foot splits. They will run I split-dive out of this. The Toss and Option are big for them as well. If they pass it's play action with only 1-2 man routes.

The have their entire 4x2 and 4x1 Meter Relay team are out there and they all run 11.1 or better. All they need is a seam and with the Huge splits they get plenty of seams. Its hard to stop unless you can match their speed and size and they are very big up front! Their WR's are tall and and can run as well.

If they all came out for track they would be unreal, but they never get them all out.

On defense they bring the house and force you to rush things. If you can protect your QB you can hurt them with the pass and Salem can protect the QB. Thats why they were able to play with Amherst using the passing game.

Thanks for the info. VHSDevil. If the weather is good I might ride over to Bassett and watch the game. Amherst shouldn't under estimate Bassett because the have a good team. It wouldn't bother me to see Amherst blow them out...in fact I hope the do.

You know, I find it funny how when the roles have been reversed that certain people or teams don't like for junk to be talked to them. I remember distinctively last year as the Bulldogs were on their way to the state title in basketball, there was quite a bit of smack talked from your side of the area. You guys beat us 4 out of 5 and deserved to be proud to talk about that. However, with all the smack that came from a ton of Bulldog fans, myself and quite a few other diehard Bengal fans were hoping that you guys would bring the title back to the Piedmont. I seem to remember in our first meeting this year, there was a sign that said "Just Like Basketball". It seems that no matter how much success the Bassett football program has had the last 3 seasons, we can't get any respect from anyone (not even from people in our own back yard). We will be heavy underdogs this Saturday against Amherst, just like we have been for the past 3 seasons in most of our big games. Maybe if the other local fans could give us some respect for what we have accomplished, the same would be returned. Piedmont fans and Piedmont teams need to pull for one another outside of district play. Lord knows that we don't get much if any respect from most other parts of the state with our athletic programs. Go Bengals and Go Piedmont District in all sports!!!

You don't know the whole story ProudBengal but I know some Bengal Fans who have been downing MHS and it's coaches for about 2 weeks now a I've grown a little tired of the jawing. Normally I root for the PD teams but not this time. Good Luck to you and the Bengals...you're going to need it.

All I can say is, don't judge all Bengal fans by a select few. Everyone that I associate with has the utmost respect for your coaches and programs. I apologize for those fans, but you know as well as I do that there are quite a few of those on both of our sides. I'm sorry that you feel the need to pull against us this Saturday. You are right, we will need a lot of good luck against Amherst, but we will try to represent the Piedmont as best as we can.

I have to give the Southwest District credit, as they pull for each other in regional and state competition at all times. Even the fans that have a total dislike for the other teams in district play, will pull for them against other competition. They realize that the more success that they have against other competition, is a direct reflection of their district as a whole (in terms of strength).

I guess if all Bengal fans had your attitude I would feel differently right now. It seems the rift between Martinsville and Henry Co. run pretty deep along many different lines. I wish we had political leaders from both sides that could pull the city and county together but right now we don't. Cabel 18 doesn't help matters either, they seem to want to keep things stirred up between Martinsville and Henry Co..

Today is the big day at Bassett. The weather has turned off sunny and the wind has died down with the temps in the 50's it will perfect for football. Bassett's field should be in good shape even with yesterday's rain. I predict Amherst will win 35 to 21.

[ QUOTE ]

I guess if all Bengal fans had your attitude I would feel differently right now. It seems the rift between Martinsville and Henry Co. run pretty deep along many different lines. I wish we had political leaders from both sides that could pull the city and county together but right now we don't. Cabel 18 doesn't help matters either, they seem to want to keep things stirred up between Martinsville and Henry Co..

[/ QUOTE ]

i gotta agree here with xdog...except for i will be pulling for bassett to pull off another 'upset'. i've heard people whom i never would've expected smack talk from doing it to perfection. the bassett faithful were even calling in to bill wyatt's radio station for God's sakes! it was laughable. i even had a guy that works for me who graduated years ago from carver and now pulls for magna vista come in dancing this past monday...saying something akin to "the dogs went down, bassett beat the dogs". i guess maybe it's years of frustration coming out...or just more plainly, pure hatred for mavahi. anyways, good luck to the boys from the piedmont.