What if VA's playoff system was like WV's???

GMan

Top 16 from each Division, based on ratings, make the playoffs...#1 vs. #16, #2 vs. #15, etc...no automatic bid for district winners.

This is how the playoffs would have looked...

Division 4

#1 Sherando

#16 William Fleming

#8 Harrisonburg

#9 Powhatan

#4 Liberty (Bealeton)

#13 Heritage (Lynchburg)

#5 Louisa Co.

#12 Lafayette

#2 Park View (Sterling)

#15 Potomac Falls

#7 Courtland

#10 Monticello

#3 Salem

#14 Smithfield

#6 Amherst Co.

#11 Magna Vista

Division 3

#1 Richlands

#16 Lord Botetourt

#8 Rockbridge Co.

#9 Christiansburg

#4 Hidden Valley

#13 Prince Edward

#5 Handley

#12 Brookville

#2 Tazewell

#15 James Monroe

#7 Graham

#10 Park View (South Hill)

#3 R.E. Lee (Staunton)

#14 Millbrook

#6 Southampton

#11 Brentsville District

Division 2

#1 Essex

#16 George Mason

#8 Glenvar

#9 King William

#4 Goochland

#13 Floyd Co.

#5 Gretna

#12 Honaker

#2 Giles

#15 Clintwood

#7 Powell Valley

#10 Grayson Co.

#3 Lebanon

#14 George Wythe

#6 Haysi

#11 Wilson Memorial

Division 1

#1 J.I. Burton

#16 Middlesex

#8 Luray

#9 Rural Retreat

#4 Stonewall Jackson (Quicksburg)

#13 Ervinton

#5 Appalachia

#12 Surry

#2 William Campbell

#15 Northwood

#7 Sussex Central

#10 Buffalo Gap

#3 Riverheads

#14 Castlewood

#6 Central (Lunenburg)

#11 Franklin

I guess Tazewell really was the #2 team in division 3 this yr....too bad they decided to play half drunk in the playoffs. lol.....actually, if it were truly like WV's playoffs there would be only 3 sets of playoffs. No Division 1, Div 2, Div 3 and so on....only AAA, AA, and A playoff brackets.

[ QUOTE ]

I guess Tazewell really was the #2 team in division 3 this yr....too bad they decided to play half drunk in the playoffs. lol.....actually, if it were truly like WV's playoffs there would be only 3 sets of playoffs. No Division 1, Div 2, Div 3 and so on....only AAA, AA, and A playoff brackets.

[/ QUOTE ]

WV only has 130 or so schools that play football...VA has over 300. The six division format is basically the same as WV's three class system as far as the number of teams in each division go...how they arrive at getting those teams in each division/classification is very different.

But if you want to do it by Class AA and Class A, here goes...

Class AA

#1 Sherando

#16 R.E. Lee (Staunton)

#8 Courtland

#9 Harrisonburg

#4 Salem

#13 Tazewell

#5 Liberty (Bealeton)

#12 Magna Vista

#2 Park View (Sterling)

#15 Heritage (Lynchburg)

#7 Amherst Co.

#10 Powhatan

#3 Richlands

#14 Lafayette

#6 Louisa Co.

#11 Monticello

Class A

#1 Essex

#16 Central (Lunenburg)

#8 Gretna

#9 Haysi

#4 William Campbell

#13 Stonewall Jackson (Quicksburg)

#5 Riverheads

#12 King William

#2 J.I. Burton

#15 Grayson Co.

#7 Goochland

#10 Powell Valley

#3 Giles

#14 Appalachia

#6 Lebanon

#11 Glenvar

The state would go broke after paying all the travel reinbursments. Some of the small schools would be in a money hardship having to .pay it out and wait to the end of the school year to be repaid by the league. Way too much territory to cover in Virginia. What they have now is not perfect, but it could get alot worse.

[ QUOTE ]

The state would go broke after paying all the travel reinbursments. Some of the small schools would be in a money hardship having to .pay it out and wait to the end of the school year to be repaid by the league. Way too much territory to cover in Virginia. What they have now is not perfect, but it could get alot worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, its not perfect and could be worse...what I've posted is a good example of that. I only wish the VHSL had enough common sense to see that the was the Divisions are created is not "equal" throughout the state. I'm a firm believer that teams of the same size should be competing against one another...with the current Divisional breakdown, that just doesn't happen.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, its not perfect and could be worse...what I've posted is a good example of that. I only wish the VHSL had enough common sense to see that the was the Divisions are created is not "equal" throughout the state. I'm a firm believer that teams of the same size should be competing against one another...with the current Divisional breakdown, that just doesn't happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly! you have schools like Grundy, Tazewell, and Graham all having to beat teams like Richlands in the playoffs. Richlands has almost double the students that either Graham, Tazewell or Grundy have. Its hard to beat someone who has such an advantage in the playoffs every year. This used to not be a problem until 2 yrs ago but I guess since Tazewell can't win it all in Div 3 maybe we should take the same road that other area teams have taken and drop to a lower Division bc we cant win the won we should be in.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly! you have schools like Grundy, Tazewell, and Graham all having to beat teams like Richlands in the playoffs. Richlands has almost double the students that either Graham, Tazewell or Grundy have. Its hard to beat someone who has such an advantage in the playoffs every year. This used to not be a problem until 2 yrs ago but I guess since Tazewell can't win it all in Div 3 maybe we should take the same road that other area teams have taken and drop to a lower Division bc we cant win the won we should be in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, Tazewell should take the road that one other area team in particular has taken, i'm not gonna name names but since this team has dropped to a lower division two years ago they have been in the state finals both years. So apparantly its a good idea. Fair?? Not in the least but hey its all about winning titles. Tazewell should drop to Division 2

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are not the inequities I was refering to...those schools choose to play up, they ask for what they get. I'm talking about the fact that some schools in say Division 4 or Division 2 would be in Division 3 or Division 1 if they were in different Regions...that is THE problem with the current system.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't Richlands used to be Division 4?

Will they ever go back to D4?

Here is a better example of Gman's point about size. Richlands is the biggest Division 3 in Region IV with an enrollment of 801. Their last opponent Hidden Valley has an enrollment of 1067. Their next opponent Rockbridge has an enrollment of 1065.

Now imagine what it would have been like if it were Graham, Grundy or Tazewell playing those schools. Now all three do choose to play up, and there is a price to pay for that, but the system is still broken. (You have a school with an enrollment of 832 that will be playing "A" ball next year so they can have teams to compete against. Then you have a team on the Eastern Shore that is a "AA" that plays in a split district that screws them in the play-offs.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, Tazewell should take the road that one other area team in particular has taken, i'm not gonna name names but since this team has dropped to a lower division two years ago they have been in the state finals both years. So apparantly its a good idea. Fair?? Not in the least but hey its all about winning titles. Tazewell should drop to Division 2

[/ QUOTE ]

When the enrollment at Richlands (then the smallest school in Region IV, Division 4) dropped below that of Martinsville (then the largest school in Region IV, Division 3) the VHSL moved them both. Richlands and Martinsville had no say in the matter. Next year Richlands will be only the 5th largest school in Region IV, Division 3.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they used to be D4 but, odds are they have a better chance of becoming a D2 team than a D4 team in the future...

This is no knock on W Va. but Virginia's a bigger state and a lot wider. You'd have teams like Powell Valley or Clintwood travelling all the way the Richmond or farther to play in the first round of the playoffs. If VA's whole system were exactly like West Va. then PV would go to Goochland and that's close to Richmond.

Of course for the 1995 state title they travelled to the eastern shore across the Chesapeake Bay to play Northhampton I believe.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they used to be D4 but, odds are they have a better chance of becoming a D2 team than a D4 team in the future...

[/ QUOTE ]

If they don't win Saturday you'll hear begin to hear the cat-calls to move down to Division 2, just like they did last year when they complained about Turner Ashby having 1200+ students.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When the enrollment at Richlands (then the smallest school in Region IV, Division 4) dropped below that of Martinsville (then the largest school in Region IV, Division 3) the VHSL moved them both. Richlands and Martinsville had no say in the matter. Next year Richlands will be only the 5th largest school in Region IV, Division 3.

[/ QUOTE ]thanks big d for saying what was on my mind. richlands has no say in stepping down in divisions. the powers "that be" determine that. i'm sure that there was noone more disappointed than those of us at richlands about that change. it is however, a shame that there are three very good fball programs in the SWD that must eliminate each other, and that change denied tazewell county the outside shot of two sets of rings coming home. that being said there are always going to be good teams playing and eliminating other very good cross county rivals no matter where the teams are geographically.we all are stuck in d-3 until someone's enrollment numbers change enough to warrant a change, up or down, and i wish people would guit whining about richlands "playing down" because its simply not true.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]thanks big d for saying what was on my mind. richlands has no say in stepping down in divisions. the powers "that be" determine that. i'm sure that there was noone more disappointed than those of us at richlands about that change. it is however, a shame that there are three very good fball programs in the SWD that must eliminate each other, and that change denied tazewell county the outside shot of two sets of rings coming home. that being said there are always going to be good teams playing and eliminating other very good cross county rivals no matter where the teams are geographically.we all are stuck in d-3 until someone's enrollment numbers change enough to warrant a change, up or down, and i wish people would guit whining about richlands "playing down" because its simply not true.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I've ever heard a plea from anyone in Richlands to return to the land of Salem and Anhearst.

crawl back up on your barstool sandy and have another one richlands would relish the opportunity to play those teams. not because we think we can beat them but because they are quality teams and that make for some quality fri. night entertainment.and we khow our boys would give em all they could handle

[ QUOTE ]

This is true BigD. We loved playin teams like Salem because of the history there. We never heard of the schools we are playin now...

[/ QUOTE ]thats true Bran but i bet those schools have heard of you guys!!!!

[ QUOTE ]

Then you don't read very well! Let me help... N O B O D Y - I N - R I C H L A N D S - W A N T E D - T O - D R O P - T O - D 3 ! ! !

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't read very well, if not then where is the petition to play up in Division 4? The opportunity to grab lower hanging fruit presented itself, and not one peep of protest was heard from Richlands.

[ QUOTE ]

This is true BigD. We loved playin teams like Salem because of the history there. We never heard of the schools we are playin now...

[/ QUOTE ]

And yet Lebanon and Honaker show up in Richlands on Fridays..

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Then you don't read very well! Let me help... N O B O D Y - I N - R I C H L A N D S - W A N T E D - T O - D R O P - T O - D 3 ! ! !

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't read very well, if not then where is the petition to play up in Division 4? The opportunity to grab lower hanging fruit presented itself, and not one peep of protest was heard from Richlands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly! Somehow Tazewell, Graham, and Grundy can all determine their own future by playing up in Div 3 but the powers "that be" forced richlands to Div 3. Gimme a break. After all the beatings laid on richlands by salem, magna vista, etc....they simply did not want anymore. Whats next?? someone "made" Vaught use the cleats or someone "made" george brown change the grades?!? I dont mean to bring up an embarassing and shameful past for rhs but simply saying that Tazewell and Graham get whats coming to them bc they CHOOSE to play up and that richlands is FORCED to drop is lunacy. if Tazewell and Graham can choose to play up, then obviously richlands can too.