It's starting to break: Rodriguez headed to 'Bama.

More smoke....

http://southernsportstonight.com/article.asp?IDNum=493#

Rich Rodriguez will be named the new head football coach at the University of Alabama in a Friday press conference. The West Virginia coach will take over the Crimson Tide program vacated by Mike Shula, who was fired two weeks ago.

Rodriguez and his wife, Rita, met with Alabama athletic director Mal Moore in New York City earlier in the week, and according to sources at both West Virginia and Alabama, Moore called Rodriguez Wednesday night with an official offer.

Rodriguez is in Jacksonville on Thursday and is scheduled to fly via private plane to Tuscaloosa early Friday morning for a press conference later in the day.

The terms of Rodriguez's contract with Alabama is not known at this time, other than Alabama has agreed to pay the $2 million buyout in his West Virginia contract.

According to one West Virginia assistant coach, Rodriguez will like to coach the Mountaineers in their upcoming Gator Bowl game before taking over in Tuscaloosa, but no official agreement has been reached yet.

More information will be posted later in the day.

http://www.al.com/birminghamnews/breakin..._12.html#213303

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Rodriguez agrees to become Alabama’s next football coach

TUSCALOOSA  University of Alabama officials and West Virginia’s Rich Rodriguez have reached an agreement in principle for Rodriguez to become the Crimson Tide’s next head football coach, two sources close to the search told The Birmingham News tonight.

After Rodriguez’s representatives negotiated with Alabama Athletics Director Mal Moore for most of today, Rodriguez has told Alabama officials he is ready to take the job offer he received this morning.

Sources close to the search said Rodriguez will make over $2 million per year with incentives and will have one of the highest-paid coaching staffs in the Southeastern Conference.

After two weeks of searching for a replacement for coach Mike Shula, who was fired Nov. 26, the only aspect of the process left is for Rodriguez to tell his team he is leaving his home state and alma mater.

Alabama officials are confident Rodriguez will sign his deal Friday morning, sources said, because the two sides have agreed on all economic and non economic issues.

Rodriguez followed his scheduled plans for today, even attending a news conference to publicize the Gator Bowl, which features the Mountaineers (10-2) vs. Georgia Tech (9-4) on Jan. 1 in Jacksonville. A source has told The News that Gator Bowl officials have been warned not to expect Rodriguez to coach in the game.

During today’s Gator Bowl news conference, he limited questions to the bowl game and to West Virginia, but would not guarantee he would coach the Mountaineers in the bowl game.

Ian R. Rapoport

Posted at 8:09 p.m.

[ QUOTE ]

Let the bitch-slapping of RichRod begin NOW...SHOW YOUR TRUE "MOUNTAINEER" SPIRIT WVU FANS...LET THE REST OF THE WORLD SEE WHAT WE'VE KNOWN FOR YEARS...

[/ QUOTE ]

If true, he goes from West Virginia football god to roasted like a pig (or elephant)...

[ QUOTE ]

I bet you can buy some cheap mattresses in M-town Friday morning. Will not need them for awhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHA

so is WVU still headed in the right direction?

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

Let the bitch-slapping of RichRod begin NOW...SHOW YOUR TRUE "MOUNTAINEER" SPIRIT WVU FANS...LET THE REST OF THE WORLD SEE WHAT WE'VE KNOWN FOR YEARS...

[/ QUOTE ]

IF Coach Rod leaves then WVU fans would have the right to be upset as it would make him a liar. I'm not going to say anything negative about him until it is official. After that I feel like I and the rest of the Mountaineer community would have the right. Am I wrong?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IF Coach Rod leaves then WVU fans of the right to be upset as it would make him a liar. I'm not going to say anything negative about him until it is official. After that I feel like I and the rest of the Mountaineer community would have the right. Am I wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

He shouldn't have made the strong comments he made last Friday night on the airwaves about finishing his career at WVU. BUT, he was backed into a corner and trying to fight himself out of it. Heck, someone inside his own athletic dept. was the one that started the entire mess late last week. You can be upset, but cannot blame the man for securing he and his family for life. A base salary of two million dollars a year, not counting incentives and promotions, is an absurd amount of money. And there isn't a person in the state of WV that wouldn't have done the same thing.

Nonetheless, it's a very tough pill for WVU fans to swallow with Rodriguez being an alum and former player. It would have been a bitter pill for Tech fans had Beamer bolted for Carolina a few years ago for the same reasons.

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IF Coach Rod leaves then WVU fans of the right to be upset as it would make him a liar. I'm not going to say anything negative about him until it is official. After that I feel like I and the rest of the Mountaineer community would have the right. Am I wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

He shouldn't have made the strong comments he made last Friday night on the airwaves about finishing his career at WVU. BUT, he was backed into a corner and trying to fight himself out of it. Heck, someone inside his own athletic dept. was the one that started the entire mess late last week. You can be upset, but cannot blame the man for securing he and his family for life. A base salary of two million dollars a year, not counting incentives and promotions, is an absurd amount of money. And there isn't a person in the state of WV that wouldn't have done the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy is already a millionaire, he is set for life as it is. I disagree with your statement that anyone in WV would do the same thing. There are probably actually a lot who could make more money in other states but choose to make less here because they love it here. That is speaking for lower salaries. If you offer a West Virginian who did move to another state to make more money a million dollars to come to WV even if he or she made 2 million in the other state then they would come back to WV.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nonetheless, it's a very tough pill for WVU fans to swallow with Rodriguez being an alum and former player. It would have been a bitter pill for Tech fans had better bolted for Carolina a few years ago for the same reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the man lied...I just think people misunderstood what he was saying.

"finish my career at WVU"...people put the emphasis on "career" not the "at WVU" part...his career at WVU will be finished when he accepts the job at Alabama.

"I'll be at WVU as coach as long as they'll have me"...once again, he was misunderstood. He is/was the coach at WVU as long as WVU had him...soon he will be at 'Bama and THEY will have him.

RR chose his words VERY WELL when asked questions about his future last week...some people weren't smart enough to figure out he was telling the truth the whole time.

[ QUOTE ]

The G-man said the same thing earlier, too good of an offer to turn down. There is enough coal operaters in West Virginia, they could have matched any offer.

[/ QUOTE ]

No they couldn't...'Bama would have gone much higher if they had to...at $2,000,000/year, they got a steal...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nonetheless, it's a very tough pill for WVU fans to swallow with Rodriguez being an alum and former player. It would have been a bitter pill for Tech fans had better bolted for Carolina a few years ago for the same reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the man lied...I just think people misunderstood what he was saying.

"finish my career at WVU"...people put the emphasis on "career" not the "at WVU" part...his career at WVU will be finished when he accepts the job at Alabama.

"I'll be at WVU as coach as long as they'll have me"...once again, he was misunderstood. He is/was the coach at WVU as long as WVU had him...soon he will be at 'Bama and THEY will have him.

RR chose his words VERY WELL when asked questions about his future last week...some people weren't smart enough to figure out he was telling the truth the whole time.

[/ QUOTE ]

your a sly devil Gman lol

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he is indeed leaving then he did lie. Do you think his wife really called him crying?

[ QUOTE ]

Let me leave everyone with these words of wisdom: (This is copy written and not for reproduction with my consent.)

"It sure wouldn't hurt to have a "Beamer" when your "Hot Rod" gets stolen."

Good night all... grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Classy..Goodnight=P

Either way Rich Rod goes with this one, he's not coming out clean on this one.

If he stays, it was in poor taste to let it blow up in the media. If he goes, he's gonna look like a liar to fans and his players for telling them he is staying all along.

I really don't know who should be blamed on this one him or his agent. ESPN, other media, and Alabama boosters could also be to blame for reporting rumor and "Sources" too quickly.

It's quickly become one big circus.

Nobody should be blamed! The man is looking out for himself and his family. Anyone who thinks he should turn down a 100x better job out of loyalty to a school that's only going to be loyal to him as long as he's winning games is naive.