The Wildcats vs. The Blue Tornado (Update Thread)

Sambo

[ QUOTE ]

i always wondered why there is two divisions under AA, what is the point of this?

it just seems like a state championship in any sport isn't really a STATE championship.

but i am not taking anything away from Richlands. Great job.

[/ QUOTE ]

The three classes A, AA and AAA are not used for the playoffs, they use six divisions instead. We don't have two champions in each class... We have one champion in each division. It's not a great system but it's the one we have.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you look at population and geographics it wouldn't be fair for Richlands to play most of the D-4 teams and that is why there is a divide. Should the divide be called AA? HV and Rock will both be D-4 teams next year and if one of them had won a arguement could have been made they shouldn't have been in D-3.

Richlands has somewhere in the 700s in student enrollment looks like most of D-4 is somewhere around a 1000. Than consider many D-4s boarder other schools areas and can pull their players to create a better team. FOR A EXAMPLE: Statistically if Richlands can pull 40 good players from 700, thats about 6 players per 100. If a school has a 1000 students at 6 per hundred than they should be able to field 60 good players if all varilbes were the same. But when a school can pull players from another schools population and add them to their own the whole thing gets skewed out of proportion real quick.

From the chatter on the other boards HV had picked up several of Cave Springs players. And we all know of several other teams that do the same.

Make no mistake about it Richlands is "STATE CHAMPS" and then some.

[ QUOTE ]

Why in the record book does it have 2 for AA then?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are two divisions in each group for two reasons in my opinion. First, it doubles the money that the VHSL receives from ticket sales, etc. Second, it makes twice as many people happy each year as they become state champions.

Now we can call it division 3/4, Group AAA, Group AAAA, whatever. You'll still end up with undefeated teams, state champions here and there, media saying this, messageboard people posting pics of Ric Flair, but don't for one second think that the players from Richlands aren't champions. They are champions. They prepared in the off-season, they faced every obstacle put before them this year, and they handled themselves as gentlemen (both on the field and with the media, which speaks to coaching).

Yeah, AA this, two that ... all that talk is a bunch of wasted nonsense unless you're trying to troll for hate from Richlands fans. We can talk forever about how Varina, Hampton, or Phoebus would RAW DOG anyone the size of, say, Burton. There is a system in place to create parity among schools with similar population sizes. You ask, in other words, how would Richlands do against Amherst. Well, I ask you how Riverheads would do against Osbourn. You can "back and forth" this nonsense forever.

You'll still end up in the same spot. Release the hate elsewhere, man.

/ BCS

[ QUOTE ]

Why in the record book does it have 2 for AA then?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really simple. There are 3 classes with two divisions in each class. The divisions are for the playoffs only. They mean nothing during the season. Once a teams gets to the playoffs they only play teams within their own division. Just like you wouldn't expect a AA team to play a AAA team, you shouldn't expect a D3 team to play a D4 Team.

There are schools in Virginia with as many as 2000 students, and schools with a few as 100. You can't divide that by 3 and expect it to be fair.

Good thing for the Blues what you think doen't mean anything. There is no way to know what would have happened in the games you suggest. Would their line be able to pressure Justin.... were their DB's tall enough to cover our guys.... and on and on. All season long, it's been the teams on the RHS schedule are down, wait until they play a good team (I rather thought we played several good teams), their starters won't be able to go four quarters.... and now that the mighty Blues have run thru their schedule like a dose of Epsom salt thru a widow woman and brought an actual, state-certified, really, really (like it or not)real state title back home, some folks can't just give those hard-working young men their props and leave it at that. Beam me up Scottie.....

[ QUOTE ]

Well it does matter somewhat during the season because if you beat say a Div.4 team you get a lot more points than if you were to beat a Div.2 team

[/ QUOTE ]

It does matter for points, but again, points are only used for the playoffs.

I agree Big D. It is not a perfect system. It can be confusing. Three classifications with two divisions in each. Why don't they just adopt the systems that other states use. Florida and Alabama both have six classifications- A through AAAAAA. That would be so much easier. Georgia has AAAAA. Virginia really has AAAAAA classifications but they don't use that terminology

[ QUOTE ]

Good thing for the Blues what you think doen't mean anything. There is no way to know what would have happened in the games you suggest. Would their line be able to pressure Justin.... were their DB's tall enough to cover our guys.... and on and on. All season long, it's been the teams on the RHS schedule are down, wait until they play a good team (I rather thought we played several good teams), their starters won't be able to go four quarters.... and now that the mighty Blues have run thru their schedule like a dose of Epsom salt thru a widow woman and brought an actual, state-certified, really, really (like it or not)real state title back home, some folks can't just give those hard-working young men their props and leave it at that. Beam me up Scottie.....

[/ QUOTE ]

The kid gave them there props, but yet he brought up a very good topic that gets asked every year, Every one on here has gave the blues there props I for one have and was at the game. I still bleed GREEN but I did get excited when the Blues blocked the field goal!!! So dont say that this kid was trying to start something with this post. Because this topic gets brought up every year!!!

I, too, support all teams from this area. As a case in point, a friend and I made the trip to watch Grundy play Liberty a few years back and sat in some cold, windy conditions to do it. Also, I watched T-town and Graham play twice this season and sat on your side. In fact, I had a great time talking to the brother of #55 during the first game. Please quote the "props" for me, as I can't find them. Let me preface that by saying I consider props to be a verbal pat on the back for a job well done without sneaking in a negative. Your view of props may be different, which would explain our difference of opinion, and that is OK, but based on my view, I stand by my post.

[ QUOTE ]

I, too, support all teams from this area. As a case in point, a friend and I made the trip to watch Grundy play Liberty a few years back and sat in some cold, windy conditions to do it. Also, I watched T-town and Graham play twice this season and sat on your side. In fact, I had a great time talking to the brother of #55 during the first game. Please quote the "props" for me, as I can't find them. Let me preface that by saying I consider props to be a verbal pat on the back for a job well done without sneaking in a negative. Your view of props may be different, which would explain our difference of opinion, and that is OK, but based on my view, I stand by my post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was you afraid of his dog is that why u talked to #55 brother? Just joking!!!

Now that's funny right there.... Thing is, a couple of guys brought their Pits with them. The adult dog just kinda looked around, but the young one wanted attention, which he got. I'm generally not afraid of dogs, but you have to respect them (both kinds). Years ago, I whipped a Collie/something mix in a fair fight, but two Dobermans did put me back in my car once. You just can't reason with two guard dogs. While you're talking to one, the other is chewing something off.

[ QUOTE ]

Now that's funny right there.... Thing is, a couple of guys brought their Pits with them. The adult dog just kinda looked around, but the young one wanted attention, which he got. I'm generally not afraid of dogs, but you have to respect them (both kinds). Years ago, I whipped a Collie/something mix in a fair fight, but two Dobermans did put me back in my car once. You just can't reason with two guard dogs. While you're talking to one, the other is chewing something off.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO!!!! it was all fun and joke but i liked that!!

Right you are. I may be a little intense when I explain myself sometimes (which I hope everyone will forgive), but things are usually a little fact mixed with a whole heaping helping of opinion and I don't take any of it personally. I am just glad this board exists.

• 5 years later...

Hard to imagine this was 6 years ago... Time sure does fly by!! Was just doing some research and decided to look at this thread, and sure did bring back a lot of memories.

I remember when at halftime, my brother, a couple of our friends, and I were standing outside the locker room of Rockbridge, and saying, "Good luck, you'll need it!" I was only 10 at the time, but thinking about it now, it made me laugh. My brother actually stuck out his hand and got the QB, Mayo, to slap it. Hahaha.

Another memory from that '06 State Title run was at Hidden Valley. Jeez, that Josiah Goins hit was one of the loudest and hardest hits I've ever seen, and I was amazed the kid got up. Shane Wicks definitely knows how to deliver such a blow...

Time sure does fly.... And better late than never, but congratulations Blue Tornado, on your second state championship! I was proud to be a Blue Tornado back then and still am to this day and will forever be one.

I bleed BLUE, Forever. Go Blue Tornado!!

Man, it is amazing how fast time flies !

The 2 things I remember the most about that playoff run was Austin making that interception to end the game, and the BIG hit that Wicks made at the Hidden Valley game. I remember that when he made the hit, it was almost like it knocked the wind out of everybody in the stands too, and then it was a big gasp......like wow. I was worried the kid he hit was really hurt.

I just hope we get another run like that soon !

Man, it is amazing how fast time flies !

The 2 things I remember the most about that playoff run was Austin making that interception to end the game, and the BIG hit that Wicks made at the Hidden Valley game. I remember that when he made the hit, it was almost like it knocked the wind out of everybody in the stands too, and then it was a big gasp......like wow. I was worried the kid he hit was really hurt.

I just hope we get another run like that soon !

With us dropping down a level, I have a feeling that we will, before long. Just have to wait for it. We've definitely got talent coming up that can do it, just hope the coaching staff stays for an extended period. Like, 5-10 more years. LOL