Bluefield Daily Telegraph's Local Coverage

Sources

Sandman, YOU missed the point, if your big problem is with the news coverage, then attack the BDT, not BHS, they dont run or control the coverage they get, so in fact YOU missed the point and attacked the wrong bunch, when you bad mouth the Beavs, you will get the fire and brimstone coming down on ya....GO BEAVS

sandgirl, if you look back on this season not one beaver was player of the week in the b.d.t. it was not untill wk. 6 or so that we were ever thought of and then it was the def. that was player of the week and no one player.

since this seems to be a sticky issue, i have to put my 2 cents in. i do not depend on the daily telegraph or wvva to inform me on any events in va or wva. i was subscribed to the telegraph and it was a joke. there was no coverage in va,even events less than 5 miles from the "press" and sports coverage was a joke, same for wvva. i cancelled the newspaper and i do not watch wvva. if the news stops at the state line thats fine by me there are other resources like this web page (by the way is great) and other news outlets (bristol herald) that will keep us informed. i am not talking about sports coverage alone but news also

p.s. i wonder if the va side paper subcriptions dropped off and the viewers in tazewell,buchanon, and russell co. stopped watching wvva if they would then cover our areas----------probably not

and rightly so but by the same token if someone knocks graham we will also defend them granted we have not won as many state titles as bluefield but does that fact diminish the ones we have won not for us we are proud of the kids that won those as we should be and as beaver should be also but graham has always been the little brother to beaver because we have had trouble in the past beating bluefield but since coach carlock arived on the va side they are building a tradition that all on the va side can be proud of just like bluefield beavers so please let us on the va side be just as proud of our school as you are of yours. i have never said anything bad about bluefield here and i admire their team for their wins. and let us have ours also. i realize that some come over strong but it can be the same on both sides. no one should have a very thin skin when it comes to the two bluefields and their respective schools. everyone has a different opinion on the other school it might not be what i like or think about graham or you about beaver but it all boils down to school pride no matter what else is said, or done. we each see things from our own view point and that is just life. but now and then like i said before we all should try and see it from the others view point. i could understand where the guy was coming from when the one man from beaver complained about the coverage ot the beavers but the way it was said maybe could have been a little better but in the long run if you would look at it from our side it did sound kind of funny to a lot of ghs fans that someone from beaver was talking about the coverage beaver was not getting from the paper. we have lived with it for years and that is just the way it is. maybe one day things may change but until then all i can say is we all live in this area and are tied together by many things paper tv economy friends family lots of things and we need to agree to disagree now and then but also stick together for things that are not right with this area, if everyone did maybe one day the local news media will see what is going on and change things. just one mans opinion and i feel many will disagree with it and to me that is fine the way things should be. would be a boring life if everyone agreeded on everything.

i do not think i saw anyone say that bhs controls everything just that the coverage could be better for all involved. but you have the right to your opinion as i have said before, but statements like that might bring on more statements to the detrement of the beavers which i think does no one any good nor does the statement either. i think that we all know that is not true and hopefully you were not to serious about that comment. some may take you serious and if they do then unfortunately they will make a comment to you that you will not like and that gets us no where in the problem that has been identified the coverage of local news on both sides of the state line.

GHS, i agree with you 100% we are all tied together by many things and both the G-Men and the Beavers should be proud of the others accomplishments..i remember maybe 2 or 3 yrs ago, the G-Men came down here to Charleston for a 4 team scrimmage wiht the G-Men, Wyoming East, GW, and Capitol..no-one down here that sat round me had any idea where Graham was from or what they were all about and were basically trashing them as a team that just showed up to get hammered, i filled them in as much as i could on the tradition, location, players,etc etc, and when that scrimmage was over, people were shakign their heads and wondering how that team came down here and basically manhandled every team they went up against..i just walked away smiling in the satisfaction that a BLUEFIELD team put a spanking on the big boys down here..a cpl weeks later, i wasnt smiling as much b/c graham beat Blfd like 63-7 or somethign of that mess, but i supported Graham then and i will still do so, but Sandmans criticism, while valid, was misplaced by attacking the Beavs, like it was their fault what the BDT and WVVA says, so as ive said before..good luck to BOTH teams..

yes tom i agree with you about sandmans comments but i think that everyone let it get out of hand by knocking the other side without even trying for the least bit to see it from each others side. at my age i have seen a few games between the two schools and all have been great games and we all should stand up for each other except for the one big game each year. we do not need to try and get at each other at any time other than that game and i think that if everyone looks at the name of the town they live in it says bluefield on both sides. our forefathers joined the two towns years ago and we need to keep that. it is what makes this area great. we are one in every sense. the only difference is a state. and school names. i see kids from both schools dating each other and being friends during the year, maybe we adults need to learn from the kids we can have our differences of opinion but do it in a respectable way. by not trashing each other. and sometimes everyone takes something said out of context but when this happens hopefully someone will point it out to everyone and let things go on in a good way. maybe i am just dreaming to hope that this can happen but hope is eternal.

GHS, again i agree with you and on a personal level i figure sandman and i could get along probably quite well, it just gets me fired up to see anyone attacking the BHS program, i hear plenty of it living down here so i tend to take it personal at times, so now we all can get back to normal and stick together and be cordial again..i think EVERYONE has agrred that BDT & WVVA is pretty much a disgrace, so we have found common ground

yes maybe we all here in the two bluefields have something to rally around along with both blfd and ghs in the playoffs. maybe we all should write to the bdt and wvva and let them know what we all feel who knows maybe it would do good if both sides would pull together and help each other on this issue.

Question, Does WVVA still do a so-called Friday Football Extra on friday nights after the region football games? I know when I lived there, they used to air one. They also used to do a game of the week, and show it on saturdays. Do they still do that at all?

• 1 year later...

well i dug this one up and figured id try and resurrect it...do any of you all think that BDT's coverage has improved in the last year and a 1/2...ill agree on the point that WVVA has nothing to do with the VA attached to the name, personally i feel that the Richlands NP has decent coverage as well as the Free Press