A big "I told you so"...about Rockbridge....

futbolking

At the beginning of the season, I was raked over the coals on this website for saying that Rockbridge had a very good team. That's all I said...Rockbridge has a "very good" team, based on what I saw at the scrimmage. I said they would be contenders this year...and that's when the onslaught began...I was called names, told that Rockbridge would finish no better than 3rd or 4th in their district and not even make the playoffs....so to all of you...I would just like to say I TOLD YOU SO!!!!

o.k...glad I got that off my chest!

I wasn't even at the scrimmage,but after seeing the pictures of them posted by cougardave over on the vapreps site I thought they looked like a very good team,because you could tell they had some good athletes,especially the qb Mayo.

I just wonder with them fighting Richlands tooth and nail to the end how Richlands would compare to Martinsburg,WV who beat Rockbridge by 2 tds. The same Martinsburg team lost the state title to Parkersburg fairly easily.

Alot of people have taken swipes at WV football including 1 particular Richlands fan over on tsp this year,so maybe now that person might not be,so willing to talk about how weak wv football is overall.

[ QUOTE ]

I wasn't even at the scrimmage,but after seeing the pictures of them posted by cougardave over on the vapreps site I thought they looked like a very good team,because you could tell they had some good athletes,especially the qb Mayo.

I just wonder with them fighting Richlands tooth and nail to the end how Richlands would compare to Martinsburg,WV who beat Rockbridge by 2 tds. The same Martinsburg team lost the state title to Parkersburg fairly easily.

Alot of people have taken swipes at WV football including 1 particular Richlands fan over on tsp this year,so maybe now that person might not be,so willing to talk about how weak wv football is overall.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be right...But was that game that they lost to Martinsburg with or without Mayo? That could make a big difference. Also, by what I've heard they have improved alot through out the season. And lastely, a team is going to step up in the playoffs, and even more so in the State championship game. So it is kinda hard to compare two teams by a common opponent when one was played in the playoffs.

[ QUOTE ]

At the beginning of the season, I was raked over the coals on this website for saying that Rockbridge had a very good team. That's all I said...Rockbridge has a "very good" team, based on what I saw at the scrimmage. I said they would be contenders this year...and that's when the onslaught began...I was called names, told that Rockbridge would finish no better than 3rd or 4th in their district and not even make the playoffs....so to all of you...I would just like to say I TOLD YOU SO!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Props to the king for foresight. As the first one to predict last year's Liberty-Richlands matchup, I know how difficult a burden it is to be a prophet.

Although technically, I don't know that I would agree with the statement that Rockbridge had a good TEAM. They were basically a one-trick pony. It's just that they were able to ride their particular horse a pretty fair distance.

[ QUOTE ]

I just wonder with them fighting Richlands tooth and nail to the end how Richlands would compare to Martinsburg,WV who beat Rockbridge by 2 tds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody's chosen to make a big issue of this, but Rockbridge had considerable assistance from some creative officiating. The Blues outgained them 8-to-1 on the ground, and there were two horrible rulings on the field that directly contributed to a 12 point swing in the game. The Rockbridge folks desperately need to feel like they made it close, which is probably why not much is being said about it.

That said, all this talk of a "close game" and a "classic" is a bit of a fallacy, IMO. RHS drove the ball at will on offense and shut down Mayo when they needed to on defense. Furthermore, when the Wildcats had the ball there were several "no calls" like blocks in the back and ineligible receivers downfield which were mysteriously ignored by the officials. The score really shouldn't have been as close as it was.

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but I was at the game and I seriously doubt that I was the only person who saw it that way.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I just wonder with them fighting Richlands tooth and nail to the end how Richlands would compare to Martinsburg,WV who beat Rockbridge by 2 tds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody's chosen to make a big issue of this, but Rockbridge had considerable assistance from some creative officiating. The Blues outgained them 8-to-1 on the ground, and there were two horrible rulings on the field that directly contributed to a 12 point swing in the game. The Rockbridge folks desperately need to feel like they made it close, which is probably why not much is being said about it.

That said, all this talk of a "close game" and a "classic" is a bit of a fallacy, IMO. RHS drove the ball at will on offense and shut down Mayo when they needed to on defense. Furthermore, when the Wildcats had the ball there were several "no calls" like blocks in the back and ineligible receivers downfield which were mysteriously ignored by the officials. The score really shouldn't have been as close as it was.

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but I was at the game and I seriously doubt that I was the only person who saw it that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

When the score was 20-6 in the 2nd quarter, knowing Richlands had missed some opportunities, I turned to Bucky Dent and asked "what should the score be right now?" He looked at his notes and said "41-0".

I'm glad it turned out the way it did though. That was the most exciting, gut wrenching game I've ever attended and I was fortunate enough to see it from the sidelines.

[ QUOTE ]

Didnt bluefield play and beat rockbridge county at the beginning of the season in that little tournament thing at Mitchell?

[/ QUOTE ]

im sure they improved a little...no offense...scrimmages are overrated in judging a team's ability

[ QUOTE ]

Didnt bluefield play and beat rockbridge county at the beginning of the season in that little tournament thing at Mitchell?

[/ QUOTE ]

No Rockbridge played Graham and Mount View. Bluefield played Richlands and Pulaski County.

[ QUOTE ]

When the score was 20-6 in the 2nd quarter, knowing Richlands had missed some opportunities, I turned to Bucky Dent and asked "what should the score be right now?" He looked at his notes and said "41-0".

I'm glad it turned out the way it did though. That was the most exciting, gut wrenching game I've ever attended and I was fortunate enough to see it from the sidelines.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't decide if I'm happy that it turned out so close. On the one hand, if it makes the Rockbridge folks feel a little bit better about their season overall, I'm pleased. On the other, some of the nonsensical "they can't be that great since we came within one point of them" statements from places like virginiapreps.com and the Roanoke media are getting hard to take.

Personally, 41-0 would've suited me just fine. But I'm kind of particular that way.

Actually Bucky's 41-0 assesment was midway through the second quarter.

I try to avoid the Roanoke media as much as possible, and I especially despise VAPreps. It really wouldn't make any difference if the game had been a blowout because they would still find a way to rationalize it. There are some Salem folks who give us credit these days though and I thought the Hidden Valley people were very classy. Not sure I can say the same for Rockbridge fans after seeing a sign that showed up in a lot of my pictures. I'll probably have to edit it out.

[ QUOTE ]

Actually Bucky's 41-0 assesment was midway through the second quarter.

I try to avoid the Roanoke media as much as possible, and I especially despise VAPreps. It really wouldn't make any difference if the game had been a blowout because they would still find a way to rationalize it. There are some Salem folks who give us credit these days though and I thought the Hidden Valley people were very classy. Not sure I can say the same for Rockbridge fans after seeing a sign that showed up in a lot of my pictures. I'll probably have to edit it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I picked up on the part about the timing of Bucky's assessment. I just didn't want to come across as greedy.

grin.gif

I don't really have much choice about the Roanoke media. They also manage to make my professional life difficult from time to time as well.

By and large I think Valley folks are pretty decent. But having done some work in the BV area, I know that Rockbridge folks are the red-headed stepchildren in that area. And there are apparently some very good reasons for that status.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you also predicted that richlands would be the 4th best team in the area behind graham, bluefield, and giles.....

in the gridorama rockbridge tied graham and beat mt.view 26-8

you cant compare wv and va football by classes its like comparing apples and oranges... there are too many variables that dont match up.

wv enrollments are based on 9-11, va is based on 9-12.

va classes overlap tremendously whereas wv classes are cut and dry.

Rockbridge beat Mount View,but the outcome of the game was heavily in their favor due to the fact that Mount View had already roasted in the heat for 30 plus minutes against George Wythe,and then had to stay on the field without another game being played before their matchup with Rockbridge. Not saying that MV would've beaten them,but it would've been nice if they had started the Grid-o-arama off against Mount ?View instead of GW,because they clearly had better athletes than GW did,so it would've been easier for a tired Mount View team to have played GW in the 2nd game then to have faced rockbridge.

To my knowledge the Mayo kid played the whole game against Martinsburg,but my point wasn't intended to take anything from Richlands it was just meant to point out that WV football wasn't as weak as alot of virginia posters made it out to be this year.

Richlands has a very respectable program in which I have no reason to discredit in any way. I wouldn't mind seeing Mount View get a series with them some time in the future.

Congrats to Richlands on a great season wrapped up with a title.

[ QUOTE ]

To my knowledge the Mayo kid played the whole game against Martinsburg,but my point wasn't intended to take anything from Richlands it was just meant to point out that WV football wasn't as weak as alot of virginia posters made it out to be this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry that I kind of hijacked this thread, knightsfan. Didn't really mean to, but I've been dealing with less than informed folks regarding the Richlands game for a couple of games now and just felt the need to dump my bucket, so to speak.

FWIW, I'm a big fan of WV high school football myself and I'm the son of an old Welch High grad. Most years the quality of ball on either side of the line is pretty even, IMO.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And I don't want to take anything away from Martinsburg or WV football but it's my understanding that all four Rockbridge losses came when Mayo was hurt. The only loss with him at QB was in the State Championship.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And I don't want to take anything away from Martinsburg or WV football but it's my understanding that all four Rockbridge losses came when Mayo was hurt. The only loss with him at QB was in the State Championship.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my understanding as well.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you also predicted that richlands would be the 4th best team in the area behind graham, bluefield, and giles.....

in the gridorama rockbridge tied graham and beat mt.view 26-8

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't recall saying that...I do however recall listing my top teams and those 4 were included...

If you had been sitting anywhere near me, you would sure have heard someone make a big deal out of the zebras. I have mentioned it to everyone I talked to about the game, some were there and others were not. In an interview for a paper "north of the border", his Mayo-ness could only lament "all" their missed opportunities. Not a word about the Blues defense making his life miserable. The zebras and some RHS miscues were all that prevented him from down bad at halftime. I have a clear picture of Austin being on the receiving end of a block in the back. The zebra (I keep calling them that 'cause I just can't dignify them by calling them officials) was about 20 feet away with a clear view and no call. I think the same Zebra called a phantom block in the back on one of our linemen at a critical point in a drive. That's what makes this victory so-o-o-o-o-o sweet. The Blues beat Mayo and company and the zebras. Also, I apologize for hijacking the thread.