National Championship

jmarcum

Oklahoma went down! Wow! Hard to believe. This is gonna leave someone on the outside looking in. There is always a chance of co-national champions but the BCS was supposed to eliminate this.

What I wondered was if anyone here opposes the playoff system in college football? What I have always heard was that colleges would lose money. HOw would that be possible, more playoff games would be on tv. Anyways, let me know what you think about the playoff system and who you think should be in the title game. See what kind of important points we can explore.

Guest MagicMan

OU should NOT be in the NC game. Don't win your Conference (or at least tie for it), don't deserve to be there. The Big 12 isn't all it's cracked up to be anyway.

USC took care of business today. LSU took care of business today. Who didn't? Oklahoma.

It really, really bothers me to root for LSU, anyone who knows the history between Ole Miss and LSU would know why - it's as bad (albeit warmer) as WV-Pitt.

No question the national title should be decided on the field. Every other sport, hell every other division in college football itself realizes this. The arguments against it are ludicrous. The only legitimate question is not if, but when do the "powers that be" (ie NCAA) implement a playoff system.

The reason there is not a playoff system, is because the NCAA is not one of the "powers that be" in Division I-A. In this case, the powers that be are the BCS Conferences, BCS Bowls, ABC and their sponsors. Almost no one questions the fact that a playoff system will make ALOT of money for everyone involved. The problem is that the people running the BCS like it the way that it is, because they are the ones making the big bucks.

On the subject of a playoff system, I've thought about this and have come up with a logical solution. A 16 team playoff, with conference champions from the ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 10 and Big East (for now) getting automatic bids. The remaining teams could be decided by a BCS type formula, and all could be seeded by that rating. The first three rounds would be played on the higher seeded teams field, with the championship game rotating between the Orange, Fiesta, Sugar and Rose Bowls. There are currently 56 teams that get bowl bids. Take away the 16 playoff participants and that still leaves room for 20 bowl games. And those games would be no less important than they are right now. The three big bowls that wouldn't be hosting the title game could match-up losers from the 16 team bracket and keep their New Year's Day games. What do you think?

I have been advocating this same type of system myself. It has always been my solution to solve the question as to 'who is the real national champion'. I wish the "big wigs" would install the playoff system and be done with the old inefficient ways. I know most people want to save the historic bowls but what I suggest is for the bowls to rotate as the national championship. They dont have to do that but if a nastaligic flavor is what they want there is some way to devise it.

First, Oklahoma has no right to be in the Sugar Bowl this year; not only did they lose to Kansas State in the Big 12 Championship, the lost by 4 touchdowns. LSU beat #5 Georgia in convincing manner (by far a better team than Kansas State), and USC kept truckin' along, as they have all season. I think the ESPN/USA Today and the AP Press polls have it right on.

Second, a playoff should definitely be instituted. I find it a testament to the derision of television that bowl games are preferred in the system. I don't bow down to the almighty dollar, but ABC and the BCS pollsters seem to. There are four weeks of bowl games, give or take a few days. Why not institute a round of 16 playoff, (to give teams from weaker conferences a chance to prove themselves) in which the BCS could still be used, but just to determine seatings? To satisfy the cavernous greed of the network television affiliates, more games produce more money, and higher ratin's! The only thing I see problems with is exam/Christmas. This is my system, criticize it as you wish.

according to espn this evening the usc trojans are in the rose bowl and ranked number one and lsu and ou in the sugar bowl for the nc but this is just according to espn from what i could tell i feel that the nc should be between lsu and usc but who am i lol

USC is ranked #1 in the USA Today/ESPN coaches poll. #3 by the BCS (computer) ranking. We can sit here all day and say that it "should" be USC vs LSU or Ok. vs USC or Mich. vs Ok. or USC vs Mich. or ..........Marshall vs Slippery Rock for the NC, but until it's decided on the field, it's all speculation, especially this year. Not that I'm a fan of either, but I'm glad K State thumped the Sooners. Just more proof that a playoff system is the only way to go.

I think the best way of solving this problem is to "indeed" go to a playoff scenario. The way this should be handled is to make the "bowl" games the first round of the playoffs. This way you still make the games important and money making and then you can still make money from the later round games. A second tournament could also be created for Non-BCS schools......I think this is a good base foundation for the way it SHOULD be done...

i agree that OU should not be in the national championship.

2nd, i also agree that a college playoff is the only fair way to crown a national champion. Look at the NCAA final 4 (basketball) there is no problem with that system that I can see

If everyone in the nation relies on the polls so much,Then why dont they take the top 16 teams and let them play for it,then we would have a true national champion,If they started playing it after the last regular season games,It would finsh around the same time also,I think all the fans are ready for something like this to happen,but like that one fellow said in a earlier post,It probley would cost somebody to much money,money they could have made on the bowls,Its always about MONEY!! tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

Another BCS mess. While all three teams can make a case as to why they should be in the title game, it's obvious that OU should be the one left out. Not only did they fail to win the Big-12 championship, they lost the game by four td's. I have mostly been against a playoff system like the one used in 1-AA, but now I think something has to be done. Even a playoff with the top four BCS teams would be better than what we have.

They could just as easily run the top 32 teams in the current bowl scenerio's and timeframe and have more money, a true national champ, and better ratings because then ALL of the bowl games would mean something.

My .02 cents says the current BCS rating system is flawed... everybody is pretty much in agreement with that. I say take the 11 Conference Champions then take 5 - 9 at large bids and have yourself a play-off system.

DO AWAY with the bowl games. Do you honestly care if your watching the continental tire outback cotton fleece dorito motor city tangerine bannana milkshake bowl? I dont, I watch the teams I like and the national champion contenders.

Lets see here; the majority of other college sports has a playoff system in place to get your National Champion, so why cant college football...? While I'm on the subject, for my playoff system, I would make Notre Dame join a conference for them to be eligible... period. Sorry all you Irish fans.

You can't "make" Notre Dame join a conference. That action will cause the conference to ask Notre Dame to share it's NBC revenues. When Notre Dame refuses, that will trigger a lawsuit based on the arguement of equity.

Some people on this board are openly asking if the legislative branch and the court system of the U.S. government should be actively involved in college football. Take a look at health care, education, and immigration policy and ask yourself again, if you want these people involved.

[ QUOTE ]

You can't "make" Notre Dame join a conference. That action will cause the conference to ask Notre Dame to share it's NBC revenues. When Notre Dame refuses, that will trigger a lawsuit based on the arguement of equity.

Some people on this board are openly asking if the legislative branch and the court system of the U.S. government should be actively involved in college football. Take a look at health care, education, and immigration policy and ask yourself again, if you want these people involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think "some people" were just making a joke..."it would take an act of congress" is more an expression than a call for legislative action.

geeezzz confused.gif

Senator Orin Hatch (R- Utah) was quoted as saying in a Senate Judiciary Commitee meeting "If they can't fix college football, we'll fix it for 'em." He was responding to a question about the fact that The University of Utah (9-2)dosen't have a chance to recieve a BCS at-large bid (Mountain West). I don't remember where I heard the quote, but it seems to me that it's a joke right up to the point when these men do get involved.

well...if they will make them put 32 or 64 of the top teams in the country in tourney instead of this BCS crap (I really don't care where they pull the ratings from) ...then I'd probably be ok with it...as long as it gets done.

It can't be any worse than it is now.