J.I. Burton High School article with video

Justin_Credible

I watched the video several times and if thats all the kid did I dont see anything that he should be flagged for...Just wondering I couldnt tell from the video but did the ref he threw the ball to flag him or a different one?

It's a bad deal for Burton..

[ QUOTE ]

****Richlands fans: Don't crucify me for this next little bit...THANKS!****

If you think about it, that was about all that happened with Richlands and the cleat incident back in '92...yeh, Vaught got reprimanded and the team wasn't allowed to participate in the playoffs the next season but the team was still awarded the Championship. All Salem got was a letter from the VHSL confirming illegal equipment was used and wished them luck on the upcoming season. IMO, this is worse than what happened in the JIB game and there was never any consideration of letting Salem and Orange play for the Championship.

[/ QUOTE ]

I come not to crucify, but to enlighten.

The 1992 situation is even more ridiculous because the "official" reason for the 1993 sanctions had nothing to do with the cleats. Supposedly it was due to racial epithets offered by the Richlands fans. In its own unique, special, and ham-fisted way the VHSL took punitive action without really addressing the issue.

Anyone with the inclination really ought to ask their local state legislator to examine the precise nature of the VHSL and its relationship to the public schools. The VHSL is taking in a lot of money and producing.....what?

Something is rotten in the City of Charlottesville. (For the sake of further clarity, I mean something other than Mr. Jefferson's Finishing School.)

I guess this is the part where you can see that high school sports are more about real life than wins and loses. These young men from Burton have seen first hand that life is full of tragedies and celebrations. It is how you deal with the bad hands you are dealt in life. You can sit around and complain, call people names or god forbid get on a message board and rant and rave about"what if". Or you can go back to work and try to better yourself and not be in the position for something bad to happen again. Use this mishap and use it as a learning tool, that life in the real world is not always fair. It takes some people a life time to realize this. Remember you are not the first team to lose a game from a bad call, and you will not be the last to lose one from a bad call.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

racial epithets offered by the Richlands fans.

[/ QUOTE ] like what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know any specifics. Supposedly the use of the name "Tyrone" was an example of offensive language used during the Orange County game. But that's secondhand hearsay at best.

[ QUOTE ]

The best AA team in VA in 1992 was Richlands. Period. Shed a tear for Salem, I'll even give you a tissue. It was BS then and it remains BS. Salem got beat. JI Burton got robbed. Hey G-man, the horse is dead. WAIT! It just quivered, better beat it some more!

[/ QUOTE ]

best team??? i've never heard of "better" teams doing what the RHS coaches did that year just to win.....if you're the best already, do you really have to do what vaught did?? probly not

Thanks to G-Man this thread got hijacked. My purpose of posting was to show support to a SWVA team that got a raw deal. It could as easily been Richlands, Tazewell, Graham...etc that got ripped off. I would drive to Roanoke or L-burg just as quick to support the 'Dawgs or G-Men. And would cheer for Marion, Abingdon, Burton, etc... if they got to represent this area. It troubles me to see our neighbors compare everthing to 1992. I've stated my feelings on this message board about this before. The 2006 Blue Tornado will be remembered as Champions, as well they should. I'm proud as hell of them. I just wish the 1992 team would be remembered in the same light. The likes of Breeding, Salyers, Sam Barnett, Chris Crawford, Harrison, Smith, Yancey Tabor, Terry Monk, and on and on should be remembered with reverance and respect. Not scandal.

Agreed...it wasnt the players fault yet they still today get shot down for the 92' incident. Im not saying watim about to say b/c im from RIchlands and b/c i played here 4 years but i have a cousin from Salem who was on the team and my gurlfriends brother in law is Brannon Breeding and they both said cleats/barefeet/or street shoes...RIchlands would have won that day...cousin said Richlands was better than they were and he didnt think cleats had a thing to do with the way they lost. But all in all....refs make bad decisions sumtimes well alot of the time and either way around it sumone is going to get screwed Richlands..if u wanna say salem did then salem did in 92'..RIchlands suffered in 93' cause of it and now burton got screwed and it cost them potentially a state championship ring...u never know the kicker could have missed the kick or he could have made it...IMO i thought it was a really really shitty call and i feel for the boyz at J.I. Burton.

Me, 2 others from Narrows, and another from Monroe Co. sit wtih the Norton folks during their game after watching Giles go down. The whole game seemed spun toward Riverheads. The call at the end, sure it was the most controversial call and went towards making it a tainted title. However, I personally thought another call was much more obvious and just as deadly to Burton's title hopes. On what turned out to be Riverheads GW drive, on 3rd or 4th and long, they run a dump pass to Burton's right that was obviously 1) a foward pass and 2) hopped into the WR's hands after it bounced off the turf like an Allen Iverson crossover. After the officals convened for at least 5 mins and changed their minds once or twice, they gave them the first. That was just an example. There were a few more calls I could go with on this. But the crew was from the Winchester, as northern VA as it gets. The four as us left thinkin Norton got hosed, and after hearing things even said from the VHSL, we all know so.

I'm thinkful somebody got the video clip. It at least made somebody eat their pride. Clips look like the tool for change in the future, if more people will get their cameras out and learn how to use them, clips can be used as a tool for change in the future, in more than one way.

i know this probally would not have changed the call the ref made at the end of the game,,,but i would thank after all these years of tainted bs calls VHSL would follow suit with NCAA and NFL and get replay instated just for the two State Games.........like Divison 1aa has replay in the nat. championship game,,,,the higher powers in the state do not relize how this could effect a kid.....yea they say its just a sport but u ask any kid who has played the game since he has been knee high if its just a sport,,,,ha, he will laugh in ur face......because its not just a sport,, for those four years weither it be football wrestling basketball or baseball,,, it is ur life,,,it is something that u will carry for the rest of ur life......and some stupid sob with a phd in under water basket weiving is tryin to say its just a game........come on.....and JIB keep ur heads up,, walk with pride because the players from riverheads did not beat u a ref did.............

ROLL WAVE ROLL