swd tournament

ghs73

Carroll County lost to Richlands 61-48

Graham beat Grundy 88-40

Graham will play Richlands on Friday, 7:30 at Graham Middle.

The boys JV team from Graham will play Carroll County at 6:00 prior to the Varsity game. The Jv G-Men upset Richlands and will play for the SWD Championship.

Thank you...and, yes, the competition will get tougher. It sure was great to play Bluefield this year. Hope both teams can do as well, and obviously better, than the football teams were able to accomplish...this time with or without snow!

It would be great to see both basketball squads once again battling it out for a state title!

I can understand BR's comment that there is little competition for Graham in the SWD. The only SWD team that will be able to challenge Graham in basketball over the next few years is Carroll County. Tazewell and Richlands never have and never will focus on and support basketball as much as they have football and baseball (esp. baseball in Tazewell). In Grundy it's football and wrestling. However, I would love to be proven wrong and see some strong (I don't just mean decent, I mean extremely talented) b-ball teams come up from those schools.

Grundy gets a new coach next year and they will have kids playing that never played...think of Grundy basketball program in the same "political" sense as Tazewell's football program...but anyway...it changes next year. I think they may actually have a decent team next year...the talent is there, they just refuse to play for the current coach for different reasons.

I think you've brought up a point that is true for all three schools. I know kids at both Tazewell and Richlands who do not play certain sports b/c of the coaching staff. All three schools have very talented athletes, but the problem is many of them do not come out to play due to differences with the coaches. It all seems highly politicized as to who gets to play. Perhaps that seems like a rather cliched statement regarding small towns and everything being political in them, but honestly it's true. Some kids don't participate b/c they know they're not going to get the playing time they deserve. Hopefully, the coaching changes occuring throughout the district will have positive effects on those schools.

i feel that small town or larger town or city you will always have kids in sports that will not play because they have something that they do not like about the coaching at the school it is that way at graham also there have been many kids that have the size to play football but do not play for one reason or another. it is up to the coaching staffs to motivate the kids that do play so that they get the best out of what they have to work with. and it seems like carlock and jones seem to be able to do that. jones is doing much better over the last several years and carlock well what can you say about that coach. he always seems to get the best out of the kids. year in and year out even in years when he does not have many players out for football. but this is just my opinion and seeing as how i am a graham graduate and fan you all can take my comments for what they are worth.

Yeah there a lot of schools in this area who have great athletes who dont play due to the coaching. At Virginia High there have been a lot of good atheles who didnt play basketball due the coaching. Things were supposed to change this year but after several guys went to the summer camp with the new coach, they decided not to play because they saw how the offense was goina run and didnt like it.(Cant blame them their). 3 year varisty player Matt Boggs didnt play basketball this year after he found out he would not have much of a role in the offnese this year even though he is hands down the best player in the school.

I wish all high schools could have the same great coaching staffs that schools like Graham, Abingdon, Powell Valley, Gate City and few others have. It seems like every year those schools are always in competitive in every single sport.