Another setback for VHS Football Coach

bearcats

The school board was ready to announce the new head coach at the next scheduled board meeting; however, the coach that was picked from Franklin County I had heard called Wednesday night at 10:00pm and decided not to take the position. Now, they are back to scrambling to fill the position. This was a done deal until the last minute he decided to change his mind. Need to get a coach in place real soon, if not sooner. Should have had one in place already. If anyone else knows of any new developments, please post.

So they had decided on the candidate from Franklin County? I really thought that the other candidate would've had the inside track given his ties to the area and his pedigree.

VHS might be in a real pickle here. The other finalist has a pretty high profile job where he enjoys good support from the fan base. The Bristol folks were going to have to sweeten the deal to entice him away to begin with. Now that they've apparently passed him over once, it looks like they might be back to square one.

Based on this turn of events, don't be shocked to see them promote from within.

There is only one of the assistants that applied for the head job and he only got an interview out of courtesy. I am sure he would take the position though if offered now. alot of talent just sitting around that needs to be in the weight room. I know all of the assistant coaches do not coach another sport but none of them will take the initiative to open the weight room. Then they sit back and wonder why they cannot win.

I think Smith would have to think twice about leaving JF for Bristol now (and that's assuming that he wouldn't have had reservations to begin with). Besides the fact that he has a pretty good setup in Forest, I would think the knowledge that he was no better than their second choice would dissuade him from taking the job if offered.

That's why I think the assistant in question probably has as good a shot as anyone right now. And I also think that the situation is unfolding similar to the way he thought it might. I'm extremely biased, but the person we're talking about could prove to be a real diamond in the rough for VHS if he ultimately lands the job.

Unless the assitant coach who applied is either Scott Jones or Carter Baker, then they dont need to hire from within. The rest of the coaches are a joke. I know for a fact that many of the players will not play for a certain assistant coach if he gets promoted. I really cant believe how bad they have screwed this situation up. I really feel for bad for the kids because the way things are looking right now it looks like its goina be another long season. They have good enough talent to compete and maybe even win the district but I just dont think they are goina have enough time in the weight room and enough time to learn a new coaches system.

I think the real setback for VHS was a few years ago when Mike Locke quit to find a job that paid better. BUt the funny thing is if they would have offered Locke the $$$ they offered Coach John Adams from Lebanon then they would have kept him. I think he is a great coach and would bet the best fit for vhs. Because they need to stop trying to overpower people with the Power I and go back to old school vhs, the wing t. Which is a far better offense for the type of athletes vhs has.

Supposedly he told his players at Jefferson Forest that he would be leaving to take over at VHS. This is the AA head coach in the Lynchburg area that I've been mentioning, and I thought that he would have been the front runner for the position all along given his ties to the area.

Sounds like he's got a tough task ahead if the other VHS poster is correct about the attitudes of the players. This business of not being willing to play for certain coaches is poor, to say the least. But I'm sure that Smith is up to the challenge.

A very good hire for the Bearcats, IMO.

I hate to say it but if u love football the way i did in High School, Its just piss poor to sit out a year because of the coach. There was 1 coach i hated with a passion, but i didnt sit out for him, i loved the head coach my freshmen year but they fired him and brought in a new guy who was supposedly a big dog but he was a sorry coach. But i just think that is sorry to sit out a year beacause who is coaching.

i had other "more important" things to do at the time ya know? lol

Looking back I wish I had played now...that was the only year from 3rd grade on i didn't play.

I agree mostly with what you say though.