VHSL Redistricting for AA in 2005-06...

GMan

then explain to me trumpet why did lee schedule bluefield high school and not graham. look at grahams swd schedule every other year graham has to travel to all but one swd school to play them. i still do not understand why lee played beaver and says that it is to far to play graham. same distance to the football field. they would only more than likely have to travel to 3 teams a year and if they got the schedule right not the longest trips in the same season like graham has to. granted not as far as lee would have to but hopfully in a few more years you guys will have a completed 4lane road which would make the trip a little easier.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to mapquest and got some travel times to some teams in the SWD from Lee High: to Hillsville-3hrs 11min, Grundy-2hrs 43min, Bluefield, 2hrs 58min, Richlands-2hrs 25min, Tazewell-2hrs 39min, and in the Highlands its 2hrs 18min to Marion(I truly think its longer than that)and its 1hr 49min to Abingdon. So there would be a lot of long distance traveling if Lee joined the SWD. I know Lee wont have to travel to all these places in the same season, but it still is going to be rough. If in all other sports the district games would be played on Friday or Saturday, they would miss school on Friday. Is that possible to make all the district games on Friday or Saturday? You say that these other schools have to travel to Lee too, but with the exeption of Carroll Co. they dont have other games as far as Lee does.

district or non district it is the same distance to travel unless they are afraid to play graham then yea do not come to bluefield. and they would only have to travel to bluefield only every other year. but then again your comment says it all that a district game is not as important to them as non district. because more than likely they would get beat just like beaver did to them last year.what is the difference in a district game with graham or a non district game with bluefield both would still be a loss for them.

graham has almost every year had to schedule no district teams to fill out their schedule and many have been in tenn and a team like gw danville and many of them have been over 2hours or more. i know this because my son is on the team and on many games they have gotten back well after midnight on sat morning i realize that travel is a problem for many teams that is a unfortunate part of highschool sports in swva.every other year graham plays the majority of its district games away so they travel also not as far granted but they could have to travel to both lee and carrol and grundy in the same year along with another team that they would have to pick up from wherever they can to fill out their schedule. which could be as far away as tenn or any where in va. wherever they can find a game. in any given year depending on how they could get the scheduling done they should at most only have 3 teams away. out of 10 that is not bad. i know as a parent of a ghs player if that was the case at ghs i would make the trips along with my son and the team. but that is me.

hey beamer i really do understand what you are saying but read the post from trumpet also. lee will drive to bluefield to play a non district team but is not willing to do that for a district game. where is the reasoning in that. i do not understand that part. because both schools use the same stadium. now if lee is not going to play bluefield anymore then so be it. but still the same distance to both to play.

Lee not wanting to play in the southwest district has not one thing to do with Lee playing Bluefield in FOOTBALL last year. Graham wanted to play Lee, but Lee's schedule was full. Then, a school that had commited to play Lee backed out, and by then Graham's schedule was full, so Lee played Bluefield because it was the only choice left. There are more sports involved other than football, and football games are not played on the night before school anyway. Almost every day this spring, Lee High students have left school early to play tennis, track, baseball, or softball, and sometimes they get home so late they are excused for the first two periods the next day. Travel for football games isn't a very big deal for anyone, as there are only ten games, and only five are away, and none of those five are on school nights. This is all a moot discussion anyway. Lee High will drop to single A before they would play in the Southwest District.

that is true about other sports but unlike football most other sports are played earlier in the day not as late as football like track baseball basketball and such, but then again i know that you will say that to make those times lee would have to leave school early well graham has had to do that with many games also but i think that it is a shame that the people at lee feel like they do about the swd. but that is ok also to be honest it will never hurt my feelings if lee never did play graham. a game against them would do no good for graham as far as being a tough game to play.

maybe lee needs to check with ky or tenn to see if they can play in their state that way we in va would not have to worry about lee anymore. maybe you guys from lee need to suggest that to the new school board this year.

[ QUOTE ]

district or non district it is the same distance to travel unless they are afraid to play graham then yea do not come to bluefield. and they would only have to travel to bluefield only every other year. but then again your comment says it all that a district game is not as important to them as non district. because more than likely they would get beat just like beaver did to them last year.what is the difference in a district game with graham or a non district game with bluefield both would still be a loss for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference is that if they were in a district with Graham, they'd have to play them in order to win the district and they don't HAVE to play Bluefield.

How can you blame travel on Lee County's academic problems? Carroll County faces as much travel playing the SWD as Lee does in the Highlands, and Carroll County has the 2nd highest SOL scores in SWVA. Lee's problems run a lot deeper than simple travel to athletic events and don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about! Lee might do better academically if they tried to remedy some of the drug/discipline problems over there.

so are you saying that lee could not win against graham. it that is what your saying then i would say that any team that feels like that already has lost a game. if you go into a game wondering if you will win or not you are lost.that is one thing that makes the graham beaver game a great game year in and year out no matter who has what, each team thinks and believes that they can and will win the game.

[ QUOTE ]

so are you saying that lee could not win against graham. it that is what your saying then i would say that any team that feels like that already has lost a game. if you go into a game wondering if you will win or not you are lost.that is one thing that makes the graham beaver game a great game year in and year out no matter who has what, each team thinks and believes that they can and will win the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said that. I could really care less about how Lee High would do against Graham. You were saying it'd still be a loss for them. Like I said I could really care less. YOU were wanting to know the difference of LHS playing with Bluefield and Graham. I was saying that the difference would be if they were in SWD they'd have to play Graham and everybody else in the district to be eligible to be district champs.

they would have to play someone sometime is some district to win a district and have a chance at the playoffs, my point is they complain about the travel to bluefield to play graham if they were in the swd but they do travel here to play beaver. if they are willing to do that why not do it in the swd also. they have to be in some district and if they have the students that the vhsl numbers say they are bigger than graham and are 2a.