An early look at the "Divisional" set up for VA for 2007...

GMan

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

G-MAN

How does Lee go to single A with 840?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Travel hardship"...due to their location and the distance they must travel for District games at the AA level.

They have been asking to drop for years due to this but the VHSL never allowed them to while the Highlands District was still alive and kicking. Next year, with the Highlands gone and no "local" AA schools for them to compete against (Abingdon is now the closest AA school to Lee...almost a two hour drive...longer on a bus), the VHSL decided to allow them to "play down".

[/ QUOTE ]

On another note, I can't wait for the first road trips to Max Meadows and Norton.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

G-MAN

[/ QUOTE ]

"Travel hardship"...due to their location and the distance they must travel for District games at the AA level.

They have been asking to drop for years due to this but the VHSL never allowed them to while the Highlands District was still alive and kicking. Next year, with the Highlands gone and no "local" AA schools for them to compete against (Abingdon is now the closest AA school to Lee...almost a two hour drive...longer on a bus), the VHSL decided to allow them to "play down".

[/ QUOTE ]

On another note, I can't wait for the first road trips to Max Meadows and Norton.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, its thoughts like this that are blowing this thing out of proportion. THINGS WON'T BE ANY DIFFERENT THAN THEY ARE NOW...EXCEPT THAT ALL THE SCHOOLS WILL BE CLASS A INSTEAD OF AA.

Graham, Tazewell, Grundy, and any other team that drops to Class A will still be playing each other. Old rivalries will be renewed...Lebanon, Gate City, Giles, Radford, etc... It will be like "old times" in AA 15-20 years ago. There won't be any trips to play Fort Chiswell, Pocahontas, J.I. Burton, Holston, Twin Valley, Haysi, etc. We will still be playing teams we've played (off and on in some cases) forever.

[ QUOTE ]

in my opinion everybody should drop and take the old SWD to single a, bring back gate city, lebanon, and put honaker in the mix somewhere, get rid of carroll all together

[/ QUOTE ]

And while you're doing that reassemble the old "New River District" up here. wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

G-MAN

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

See, its thoughts like this that are blowing this thing out of proportion. THINGS WON'T BE ANY DIFFERENT THAN THEY ARE NOW...EXCEPT THAT ALL THE SCHOOLS WILL BE CLASS A INSTEAD OF AA.

Graham, Tazewell, Grundy, and any other team that drops to Class A will still be playing each other. Old rivalries will be renewed...Lebanon, Gate City, Giles, Radford, etc... It will be like "old times" in AA 15-20 years ago. There won't be any trips to play Fort Chiswell, Pocahontas, J.I. Burton, Holston, Twin Valley, Haysi, etc. We will still be playing teams we've played (off and on in some cases) forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong! After the populations of the local counties bottoms out, school consolidation will begin. See McDowell County WV for reference. You're going to Fort Chiswell and Haysi, you're just passing through "denial" as we go.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

G-MAN

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong! After the populations of the local counties bottoms out, school consolidation will begin. See McDowell County WV for reference. You're going to Fort Chiswell and Haysi, you're just passing through "denial" as we go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong again my Gator friend...those "little" schools that you worry about traveling to will be the ones consolidating...they will no longer exist in your synopsis. Once again, IF Graham were to drop to Class A, they would be playing against the same teams that they've played against in the 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00s...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

G-MAN

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong again my Gator friend...those "little" schools that you worry about traveling to will be the ones consolidating...they will no longer exist in your synopsis. Once again, IF Graham were to drop to Class A, they would be playing against the same teams that they've played against in the 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00s...

[/ QUOTE ]

Make up your mind! Are they going to consolidate or are we going to play the teams from the 70's and 80's?

I still say were going to John Battle, so go grab your coat and flask!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

G-MAN

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Make up your mind! Are they going to consolidate or are we going to play the teams from the 70's and 80's?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't the one who said anything about schools consolidating...you did. Also, John Battle was a member of the SWD for many years...probably before you can remember.

Look at the schools that Graham has played at the AA level who are now Class A, or will be, or should be...Gate City, Virginia, John Battle, Patrick Henry, Lebanon, Radford, Giles, Narrows, George Wythe...toss in Grundy and Tazewell to that list...looks like you can make a pretty good schedule, or district, out of that list at the Class A level...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

G-MAN

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't the one who said anything about schools consolidating...you did. Also, John Battle was a member of the SWD for many years...probably before you can remember.

Look at the schools that Graham has played at the AA level who are now Class A, or will be, or should be...Gate City, Virginia, John Battle, Patrick Henry, Lebanon, Radford, Giles, Narrows, George Wythe...toss in Grundy and Tazewell to that list...looks like you can make a pretty good schedule, or district, out of that list at the Class A level...

[/ QUOTE ]

At lest now you and I agree on the consolidation aspect of our collective future. Now I want to discuss the placement of these newer facilities that we will be going to in our new class A empire. It has not been my experience that these newer structures are build within existing corparated towns (Wyoming East and Wyoming West High Schools), so when a newer building is built in Dickinson county, for example, I don't think that the school will be placed in Lebanon.

Even on our speculation about "Tazewell County East/West", we all agree that they probably wont be placed in Bluefield or Tazewell or Richlands and Tazewell, but probably in a rural area bewteen each community for equality of access for the drawing populations. I believe that the coming period of consolidation will take us to longer road trips to more aluminium bleachered and poorly lit games, and I for one, am not thrilled about it.

[ QUOTE ]

so when a newer building is built in Dickinson county, for example, I don't think that the school will be placed in Lebanon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm...yeh...correct...the new Dickinson Co. school won't be built in Lebanon...mainly because Lebanon is in Russell Co., not Dickinson.

And once again, odds are, that school won't be on Graham's list of opponents if they were to drop to Class A. The new Dickenson Co. school would likely keep its ties with the Lonesome Pine/Cumberland District schools that remain.

But, these consolidations (Dickinson/Wise/Tazewell counties)...the types that require the building of NEW schools in order to close old/outdated/rundown school buildings...are not going to occur in the near (next few years) future. If any schools are consolidated/closed, the "smaller" or "older" ones will be "absorbed" by the "larger" or "newer" ones, despite the resistance that the school boards will receive from angry parents for "killing" their community (Hello Pocy, Appy, etc...).

Its all about the $$$$$$$$$, and those counties mentioned don't have the $$$$$$$$$ it takes to build the schools they want/need to replace the ones they have.

But, these consolidations (Dickinson/Wise/Tazewell counties)...the types that require the building of NEW schools in order to close old/outdated/rundown school buildings...are not going to occur in the near (next few years) future. If any schools are consolidated/closed, the "smaller" or "older" ones will be "absorbed" by the "larger" or "newer" ones, despite the resistance that the school boards will receive from angry parents for "killing" their community (Hello Pocy, Appy, etc...).

If McDowell and Wyoming Counties can get the West Virginia State Shcool Borad to release funds to build new schools in those counties, I can easily envision the monies being appropriated for new facilities in Taxewell/Russell/Dickinson from the bureaucrats in Richmond.

Are you kidding? I think that Va is going to sell off SWVA in 3 parts. richlands down to hurley will be WV and the rest to TN.

That came along with the same rumor that america is consolidating with Canada and Mexico in two years!

[ QUOTE ]

If McDowell and Wyoming Counties can get the West Virginia State Shcool Borad to release funds to build new schools in those counties, I can easily envision the monies being appropriated for new facilities in Taxewell/Russell/Dickinson from the bureaucrats in Richmond.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doubt it. The gubment in Richmond is too busy spending money on new schools in NOVA and Hampton Roads to be concerned with with SWVA...majority and money rules...SWVA is a second class, poverty riden citizen...we get scraps (enough money to put a new roof on a school that's 50 years old)...

I have heard that the in the next few years that Grundy, and Graham will be moving down to the Black Diamond and Tazewell to the Clinch Mtn.? I think Grundy may move down the next chance for changeing? If this does happen would Richlands not be just about forced to move down as well?

Look at Lee though 840 to Richlands 746? I'm just saying if they did not want to move into a district up towards Roanoke could they not just simply do what Lee has done and also play down and use travel as there reason? All that would be left down this way in AA would be them Abingdon and Marion. For that matter why would all of them not just move down?

[ QUOTE ]

I have heard that the in the next few years that Grundy, and Graham will be moving down to the Black Diamond and Tazewell to the Clinch Mtn.? I think Grundy may move down the next chance for changeing? If this does happen would Richlands not be just about forced to move down as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the others will drop until Richlands does but I think it will eventually happen. I don't think they will seperate though. They'll join the same district or form a new one.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the others will drop until Richlands does but I think it will eventually happen. I don't think they will seperate though. They'll join the same district or form a new one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Graham, Grundy, Richlands, and Tazewell have been together since at least 1956. I can't foresee any future scenario which would split them up in any way.

im agreed alum. i cant foresee these schools parting the water.however, its not beyond the realm of imagination to see us all tossed into the smelting pot of consolidation. what would you get when you combine a federal agent, an ugly four legged domestic animal, a violent storm, and a native americian?wink.gif