WV or VA Who Has The Best Playoff System in Place?

wvuraiders

Who Has the Best playoff system in place...Give an explanation...I like the playoff system in VA because it allows a team who does well in the conference to have a chance at a playoff birth, however it is hard for me to think 5-5 teams in Virginia can make the playoffs and in WV 5-5 will not crack the top 20 in any classification. So I guess there are pro's and con's to VA's system..In WV I like the 16 team system it really provides some interesting match ups...What are your opinions?

VA playoff system sucks...period.

The points system has killed many traditional good matchups because local teams can't afford to play down now, much less play down to a good team that might beat them.

Ask Salem fans about the Virginia playoff system. They finished 8-2 last season and didn't make the playoffs, while teams well below that record did. I'm sure things like that have happened for years with the Virginia playoff system. I'll take WV's system any day of the week over the current Virginia system.

I think VA's playoff system sucks! The biggest problem is, you have weak teams that win their weak districts and keep more deserving teams out! Look at what happened last year, Rye Cove won the Cumberland and kept 9-1 Honaker out of the playoffs. Haysi beat Rye Cove 46-0 and Honaker only lost to Haysi in the regular season 6-0 in the last 4 seconds of the game! Something that will surely happen this season is Grayson County winning the MED and which more than likely means that there will be one wild card spot in the div 2 playoffs in Region C. So whoever gets 2nd in the Hogo and the TRD will be vying for a wildcard spot and only one of the two teams will get it to make room for Grayson to get stomped by whoever they play the first round of the playoffs.

One thing I think they could do to kinda mix things up year after year is maybe kinda do like a state wide playoff. For example in the division 1 playoffs invite the top 16 teams in the powerpoints from Region D and Region C and have a playoff and invite the top 16 teams in the power points from Region A and Region B and have a playoff. Then of course in the state finals the champ of the "west" playoff meets the champion of the "east" playoff. Whats the point in having a rating system if a team that has a lower ranking can make the playoffs over another team with a higher ranking? Also, why should say Twin Valley have to compete with Honaker and Haysi for the district championship and the automatic bid to the playoffs that come with it, when Twin Valley won't ever see Honaker and Haysi in the playoffs? I'm not saying districts still couldn't crown football champions, but it is really illogical that winning the district guarantees you a spot in the playoffs when you have teams in 2 different divisions playing each other.

Clintwood and Honaker are a couple of teams that got screwed. If Twin Springs had beaten Rye Cove that would have knocked Rye Cove out of the playoffs and I think that woiuld have put both PV and Honaker in. Correct me if I am wrong. Virginia's playoff system just plain out sucks.

va playoff system is not perfect by far but if you just went by powerpoints you could end up with a team with a very good record not making it into the top 16 because they could not find teams to play that by winning could get them more points. some good teams each year tend to find it harder and harder to find that competition. and in some areas you have more 1a shools than 2 a schools so the 2a teams might have to play 1a teams and get fewer points for the playoffs. this is just my opinion. in any system you could have some very good teams not making the playoff and then complain about that system.

It's rumored that VHSL might implement a 4A system in 2007. If they do then that should help eliminate some of the weaker teams from making the playoffs. NC uses a 4A system and it seems to work pretty well for them.

The redistricting and reclassification committee did vote to go to 4A in '07-'08. It now has to approved by the excutive committee this fall. I think it would be great if the state did this BUT, there will be some major efforts from the AAA schools to derail this. For a 4A system to work, everyone will hafta play in their classification, no more schools playing up. The AAA schools won't like this because there will be some schools that will remain in Group AAA and others that move up to Group AAAA, they will whine and complain that it will destroy their rivalries.

Yes I have seen McCracken play, especially when in 8th grade when he averaged 2 interceptions a game. He has a good arm, its just he doesnt handle pressure. I also know that he is cocky enough to tell people he is starting varsity anyways. The safe bet is Cain at QB but I dunno. Is he good at QB?

They take the number of schools and divide by four. The largest fourth is AAAA, the next larest is AAA, and so on. I don't think the number of schools in the VHSL can divide into four, so I guess they would make Group AAAA the largest group and then the next 3 would all be the same size. Thats the best I can explain it, hope that helps.

So if there are 100 schools (ie), they 25 largest are 4A, on down to the 25 smallest being 1A. Makes sense. Thanks for elaborating. I was looking at it from a perspective that something like 300 and under is A, 300+ to 600 is AA.

-Josh