concerns with bluefield

thegamer

[ QUOTE ]

Talent level is all relative. Compared to most of southern West Virginia and southwest Virginia, we have had alot of talent over the years. But our talent level pales in comparison to Tidewater and Northern Virginia AAA schools. The single state title (in the largest VHSL classification) was a great accomplishment, one that the community is very proud of. Most of you have never seen the quality of teams that we have played in our travels over the last 25 years, nor do you understand that there is a huge difference between a AA or AAA title in WV, and a AAA title in Virginia. So please remember that before you try to belittle our football programs accomplishments.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, I wasn't belittling your program's accomplishments in anyway, shape, or form. I'm aware of the amount of talent that the Tidewater area. Just look at the quality of players to come out Eastern Virginia in the last decade alone. I know the caliber of talent the Hokies have acquired from that area, especially in recent years.

I'm also aware that on average WV's AAA champion would be lucky to hang with Virginia's AAA champion. However, you also need to remember that WV's biggest schools would barely be a Virginia Division 5 AAA school, if at all. Pulaski, right now at 1490 in grades 9-12, is almost as big WV's largest school Jefferson County that has 1669 kids in grades 9-11.

Finally, I've talked with a couple of different Pulaski County fans over the years and all seem to agree. The lack of a passing attack has hampered PC when they have faced the better teams from Eastern Virginia. It's tough to beat such talented teams with a one-dimensional offense. That's in no way, shape, or form "belittling" PC, it’s simply stating common knowledge of football.

bhssports, are you serious?. " Steptoe is ready, and maybe even carter" apparently you dont know ur players because allen carter has been playing since he was young and all through middle school and still doing it now, on the other hand steptoe if i recall played maybe 1 year in middle school and he is a up-coming junior and this is his first, if im not mistaken

If you're less talented, the BEST way to win is to shorten the game by controlling the ball and clock. I tend to believe that our teams have been built for the playoffs. Conditions are rarely ideal in November and December in Virginia, and teams that run the ball and play defense usually win the championships. I'd hate to play the regular season as a balanced offense only to play a playoff game in conditions that take away half of your offense.

The two state championship games that we lost had nothing to do with the ability to pass or not. In 2001 we scored 28 points and had over 400 yards of offense, but we couldn't get a defensive stop to save our lives. In 1993, the conditions were cold and very windy so passing would have been difficult at best. The main reason for that loss was a semi-final injury to one of our best two-way players.

[ QUOTE ]

In 2001 we scored 28 points and had over 400 yards of offense, but we couldn't get a defensive stop to save our lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I watched that game in Lynchburg prior to the Graham/Harrisonburg game. I was quite surprised at how easily Lafayette moved the ball on PC's defense. That wasn't a good day for Southwestern Virginia football...

I didn't think he intended any disrepect towards pc either, it didn't read that way to me.

"nor do you understand that there is a huge difference between a AA or AAA title in WV, and a AAA title in Virginia. So please remember that before you try to belittle our football programs accomplishments"

Granted, but that said, I've also seen some bluefield teams more than capable of earning a aa title in va., especially some of the mid 90 teams. The '96 and '97 teams come to mind.

The '92 team actually outplayed pc's aaa title team easily at pc, but had the 8 turnovers, 3 or 4 of them down inside pc's 20 or 15, and 2 others that resulted in 2 of pc's 3 scores directly. Stats wise was around 400 some yards of o for bluefield to 100 if that for pc, and I recall pc have maybe 2 or 3 1st downs the entire game, none till late in the 4th quarter.

Bluefield was also wv aa size in '92, but still playing up to the aaa classification.

Bluefield's '03 team would have likely had some trouble with gretna's passing game, as they do with all passing games, but they also might have put more pressure on their qb that he saw all season, and either way it would have almost certainly been a close game. As graham was the only close game gretna had as well.

Again I have lots of respect for va. high school football, but as mentioned lots of the difference has to to do with enrollment, and then the number of schools overall in each classification.

Ironically though, 1 thing about the va. system that actually makes a title run not quite as hard as many claim, is that the va. playoff system flawed as it is, often prevents a lot of good comptetive teams from being in the playoffs. Salem in '03 as an example, and also puts a number of shouldn't be there teams in, making for somewhat easier games or district re matches in early rounds.

In wv games are easier for most good teams in round 1, and sometimes round 2, with the lesser number of teams overall, but the final 4 is the real thick of the playoffs in each state in my opinion.

The texas poster who's been doing the overall national stats wrote that in texas they have a 6 game playoff, and I'd guess their games are very competitive from round 1 or 2, now that's earning a title.

But anyhow, good fortune to pc, my guess is if they mature experience wise quickly, they'll likely have a very respectable season.

The '92 game was early in the season. We were beaten 20-0 the week before by E.C. Glass the week before. The team that went into the playoffs was a different team. If we were playing the same way we did in the 2nd and 3rd games of the year, we would have been beaten soundly by GW-Danville in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

You can't gauge the talent level of AAA teams in Virginia based on a September 1992 game against PC. Remember, we "do only have a single state title to show for all our success...". Maybe if you guys had seen more AAA football in Virginia you would understand why.

"The '92 game was early in the season. We were beaten 20-0 the week before by E.C. Glass the week before. The team that went into the playoffs was a different team."

Bluefield became better as the season went by as do most teams as well, and e.c. glass was a very formidable team.

"You can't gauge the talent level of AAA teams in Virginia based on a September 1992 game against PC."

I can certainly gauge it for that season though, and on the wv side for example bluefield was out in the 2nd round against a strong capitol team and the eventual wv aaa title was earned by an exceptionally talented team with randy moss on it in '92, Wv has had some formidable aaa teams.

I also mentioned more than just the '92 bluefield team, and many in the area on the wv side know well the caliber of aa football in va., based on years of watching graham and other sw district teams in the playoffs.

I also do recognize and respect the caliber of football in eastern va., I have an aunt from hampton, and I myself was also stationed at va. beach 1 year and know the caliber of teams in the tidwater areas. I know yall have an uphill battle in the bigger ranks, but fact is, the blame is on the vhsl itself, the state of va. warrants "at least" a 5 aaa classification, and it warrants reclassifying many schools within those ranks as well. But we all know this.

But again my point wasn't to disrespect pc's accomplishments in the least, as I and other bluefield fans have written more than a few times, we have nothing but respect for pc and the high caliber football in the state of va..

Hope all is well.