concerns with bluefield

thegamer

i agree with the fact that bluefield played very well tonight..pulaski had very good size. I'm just concerned with bluefield's lack of size #64 and #62 seemed to be kinda small and the running game has been nothin the 2 scrim. games. There was also considerable amount of pressure on the qb every play. does anyone else agree.

I wouldn't say Bluefield played very well tonight. I would say they played average at best. I have to agree about the two new additions to the OL, #62 and #64. I believe the staff needs to look seriously at moving someone with the size of Allen Carter to the OL. Again though, Bluefield won't face as much size as they did tonight PC. Finally, the playbook tonight was very blend and that was expected. I saw people from Graham there watching, as I knew they would be. Plus, I also saw people there from James Monroe, Shady Spring, and Princeton taking notes.

Some additional comfort for the Beaver masses. Bluefield usually doesn't perform that great in scrimmages for a variety of reasons, never have. If you recall after watching the 1997 team scrimmage people thought Beaver was in for a long year. Well they were, 14 games long and a state title.

well u r right there they played average because they do have some probs that need to be resolved..and i agree allen carter or someone with more size and strength should be on the line..we have to have a running game to win

Bluefield did have some good size in the underclassmen. The freshman tackle, #78 Mike Miller, looked like a monster. In the end though, the OL must get better and I believe changes need to be made. If they OL performs next week as they did tonight well then Bluefield fans better be ready for a beating at the hands of Graham.

# 64 and 62 are the seirs twins , yes i agree that are "under" average for OL but then again what i said in a different message board graham may expect that to be our weakness maybe they will put carter or miller in there place?...only time will tell

yes i agree , # 62 and 64 are the seirs twins....bhssports u can quote me when i say they "are" twins! . Anyways like i was saying in my other posts we know that we have people going to the graham games as well as graham has people going to our games. Scouting and telling our weekness's and stregnths maybe the seirs twins are a decoy that during the actuall beaver graham game we would put in carter and miller?

beaverfan plz do not even talk for bluefield, yes the siers are twins, but miller is not the answer, yes he has the size but he is no where near ready for the varsity level, travis steptoe on the other hand is and maybe carter, he does have the size but i dont think he mentally wants to do it, thanks to the middle school he thinks hes a running back cause thats what he play there, but he needs to accept what he is and that is a lineman. yes the siers may not have size but they do have heart and they give everything they have in them, if there is goin to be adjustments we will find out friday at the big game

yes P/C does have a big line, But the thing is that grham is not the only team that bluefield plays , who knows what martinsburg is going to bring since there AAA. Im looking for a good game between bluefield and martinsburg

I welcome the new posters to the board and it's good to have more Beaver fans. However, please be aware that foul language isn't allowed on these boards. This will be your only warning, so please keep it clean and respectful.

Now, I have to agree that starting a freshman such as Miller on varsity isn't the answer. Again though, I do feel the Siers boys will do much better against the majority of teams Bluefield will face. However, if we face another team with the size and strength of PC on the line then adjustments will need to be made.

Allen Carter is a big kid and he should be killing the majority of people he faces on the line. If he believes he's anything other than a lineman then someone needs to let him know that he isn't. He could be a huge asset to have on the OL as well as the Steptoe kid. Those two, I thought, did well on the defensive line against PC's size and strength. Steptoe's pass rush is what led to the eventual QB sack and fumble on the one play.

I'd also like to comment that size doesn't equate to anything in football. In my experience, I've seen a number of smaller guys who could go hit for hit with a guy five inches taller and 50 pounds heavier than them. In some cases, they could even lay heavier hits than the bigger players. Experience also plays a big factor. I would take two smaller, more experienced linemen over two larger, inexperienced linemen any day. Needless to say, I will give the Siers twins the benefit of the doubt and keep my judgements to myself until I see them play next weekend.

[ QUOTE ]

Experience also plays a big factor

[/ QUOTE ]

i was waiting for some one to say it. #64 seirs started last year and has experience. experience plays a big part. i think ppl should quit questioning the coaches call. i mena bluefield has been to the last 2 state championships. atleast wait till bluefield loses an actual game before u start questioning the coaches call. i agree with u Sources.

[ QUOTE ]

size doesn't equate to anything in football.

[/ QUOTE ]

now on the defensive side of the ball that is true but not on hte offensive side. cuz i wouldnt want a 185 lb. gaurd trapping some 260 lb. tackle. he might move him 1 or 2 times but thats not gaurenteed. but thats also just the chances you have to take, too. on the defensive side i have seen 190 lb. tackles eat up the o-line. i kno on offense i would much rather block a big tackle then a fast 190lb. tackle. of course their are big tackles out there hard to block like pannell and williams.

about graham and bluefield game i think BR said it the other day. graham fans are gonna say graham and bluefield fans are gonna say bluefield.

i think three big reasons why me lost was it was snowing , freezing and everything inbetween. Another reason , im not blaming anyone. But if you watched the game we fumbled at the 50 and they picked it up and ran it back inside the 20...i think that was the weathers fault...but matt syantmyer (sp) did a really good of running the ball

<font color="brown"> Actually if I recall bluefield had intercepted a pass around the 30, and it was maybe 3 plays later that they fumbled and poca returned it 60 or 70 some yeards down inside the 5, and they scored on 4th down after 1st and goal inside the 5.

What cost the game was 2 things, the slopfest caused an even push on the line, and bluefield's d line, which most of the season spent most of their time in the other team's backfield because of their strength and speed, was neutralized. Their d was only so effective like so. Likewise in the previous game against westide in the snow at mitchell stadium, bluefield put the game away easily in the 3rd and 4th quarter, but westside still had some success on the ground from the 1st quarter on, that otherwise might not have been there.

2nd big thing was the fg situation. Bluefield went for it on 4th down maybe 3 times from the 20, well within lucas stone's fg range, but not in those conditions.

I won't say the fumbled extra point attempt in ot was the reason, techinically you could say that since it was the last play that ended the game, but the extra point team had success all season, and there were far to many other opportunities for bluefield to not have even been in such a situation in that game.

That was last season, it's done, congrats to poca, time for myself at least to move on and look forward to the start of this season. If nothing else, we know that field turf awaits the teams that earn the trips to wheeling this dec..

God bless. </font>

I was at Bluefield last Friday, and saw the first 2 quarters of the varsity scrimmage. Bluefield's D did a descent job of limiting a much larger offense, even though Pulaski never went out of the wing-T formation, and didn't throw a whole lot. Bluefield's Offense was a somewhat different story.

Coeburn barely had the ball before d-linemen were in his face, and inside running just didn't happen. It's hard to judge the passing game because the the pass rush that the Cougars had, but Coeburn did force some throws that went into the wrong hands.

I was impressed with Q. Steptoe running outside. He'll give alot of teams trouble. The biggest problem for Bluefield by far was the offensive line. They should easily be in the playoffs, but could struggle after the first round if the O side of the ball doesn't see some improvement.

[ QUOTE ]

even though Pulaski never went out of the wing-T formation, and didn't throw a whole lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

All Pulaski has done for years is run the football. They rarely even try to pass, which is something I'll never understand considering the athletes they have. Although, that offense has seemed to work for them in most years. Nevertheless, they do only have a single state title to show for all their success...

Talent level is all relative. Compared to most of southern West Virginia and southwest Virginia, we have had alot of talent over the years. But our talent level pales in comparison to Tidewater and Northern Virginia AAA schools. The single state title (in the largest VHSL classification) was a great accomplishment, one that the community is very proud of. Most of you have never seen the quality of teams that we have played in our travels over the last 25 years, nor do you understand that there is a huge difference between a AA or AAA title in WV, and a AAA title in Virginia. So please remember that before you try to belittle our football programs accomplishments.